Aune S17 pro
Apr 24, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #2,191 of 2,240
I am a happy owner of the S17 pro and wanted to improve the sound further by replacing my DAC Loxjie D40. I compared it to Topping D90LE, Gustard R26 and Chord Qutest. Exactly volume matched I could not tell the DACs apart with statistical significance in a blind test. I do suffer from some hearing loss, but my 14 year old daughter felt the same way.

So I kept my cheap Loxjie because I don't see the point of spending a lot of money for nothing, which I would have gladly done if I had actually heard an improvement. I'm not trying to say is that there are no people who are actually able to hear a difference. But to everyone else who doesn't hear a difference in (decent) DACs, I would like to say: You are not alone!

For comparison, the differences between preamps and amplifiers were clearly audible to me. And they weren't necessarily the best-measured devices whose sound I prefer. For example, I find the Atoll AM 300 better than a Hypex Ncore class D power amplifier that I had before, but which certainly has better measurements.

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:15 AM Post #2,192 of 2,240
Why do you advise topping d 30?
I'm seeking for a dac too, but as I have he1000se I want more quality and transparency, my if gryphon add to the sound a warmness that I want to try to take off, but I'm so frightened about topping and smsl gear maybe it's my bias. I am thinking about su-10 since an headfier adviced me not to take the d70 pro octo.... But also tempted to build something like a lampucera kit to have more organic sound. My limit is 900euros
I use other class A headphone amps paired with a Schiit Audio Bifrost 2/64 and I enjoy the pairing while listening to my Arya Stealth. Works for me, but sound is subjective so either way you would need to demo it yourself. Not sure how much the unit sells for in the EU though.

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #2,193 of 2,240
.....I compared it to Topping D90LE, Gustard R26 and Chord Qutest. Exactly volume matched....
It so happens that I have had the Topping D90 for over a year, the Chord Qutest for over 2 years and currently have the Gustard R26 for over a year. In my opinion, the differences are audible. Whether it's worth the price, everyone has to decide for themselves. The differences between individual headphones are much greater and that is the beauty of the headphone audio world.

Apr 24, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #2,194 of 2,240
I am a happy owner of the S17 pro and wanted to improve the sound further by replacing my DAC Loxjie D40. I compared it to Topping D90LE, Gustard R26 and Chord Qutest. Exactly volume matched I could not tell the DACs apart with statistical significance in a blind test. I do suffer from some hearing loss, but my 14 year old daughter felt the same way.

So I kept my cheap Loxjie because I don't see the point of spending a lot of money for nothing, which I would have gladly done if I had actually heard an improvement. I'm not trying to say is that there are no people who are actually able to hear a difference. But to everyone else who doesn't hear a difference in (decent) DACs, I would like to say: You are not alone!

For comparison, the differences between preamps and amplifiers were clearly audible to me. And they weren't necessarily the best-measured devices whose sound I prefer. For example, I find the Atoll AM 300 better than a Hypex Ncore class D power amplifier that I had before, but which certainly has better measurements.
I have the same experience.
If I just plug in the new DAC, I can hear a difference. But once I've volume matched and is a/b switching, I cannot tell them apart.
I have tried ESS based DAC's, FPGA and I've got an AKM based on the way, but I don't think that one will make a difference either. I just want to be sure.
Then I only need to test a R2R 😊

Apr 24, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #2,195 of 2,240
Hi guys, did anybody here try an aftermarket / hifi fuse in their S17 or any other headphone amp? I red great stories of improvement mainly in DACs and I was curious if the effect is noticeable even on a quality headphone amp.

Apr 24, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #2,197 of 2,240
Hi guys, did anybody here try an aftermarket / hifi fuse in their S17 or any other headphone amp? I red great stories of improvement mainly in DACs and I was curious if the effect is noticeable even on a quality headphone amp.
I tried the Singxer Sa-1 Gustard 5A fuse and I think it's worth it. The question is where the fuse is located in the Aune S17, I don't know if there is one at all.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #2,200 of 2,240
I remember you were comparing the S17 Pro to the Singxer SA-1 on the HE1000SE a while ago, the headphones I'm interested to get. The conclusion was you preferred the Sa-1 then. Has this changed?
I have both of these amplifiers.
In 50mA mode, they are close in sound.
But in 100mA mode, Aune is noticeably better in all respects.

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #2,201 of 2,240
I'm sure I'm missing something very obvious here, but: How do you power the S17 on/off? 🫣
The only way to do it it's to flip the switch on the back. Otherwise WE are SOL

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #2,202 of 2,240
yes, that is slightly annoying but it is about the only little flaw the unit has for me. otherwise I love every piece of it... 😀
Hope Aune addresses this issue in a second version of this amp.

Apr 25, 2024 at 3:33 AM Post #2,203 of 2,240
I have both of these amplifiers.
In 50mA mode, they are close in sound.
But in 100mA mode, Aune is noticeably better in all respects.

Just looking at the stage and space in Singxer and Aune, the difference between these amplifiers is very clear,
while the difference between 50/100mA is limited only to a very slight "heating" of the tone.

Comparing these amplifiers to the difference between 50/100mA is a huge simplification, I completely disagree with it.

Aune is better even in 50mA mode and it's a much more complex issue than 50/100 switching.
If the difference between these amplifiers was only as small as between 50/100mA, it would not be worth writing a single word about it

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 4:35 AM Post #2,204 of 2,240
Aune is better even in 50mA mode and it's a much more complex issue than 50/100 switching.
I found your post I was referring to. You seemed to be pretty convinced the Singxer was much better. Does any of the below points still stand?
Advantages of Singxer that leave Aune behind:
- vocal timbre, more organic, more massive in the case of male vocals,
- proper positioning of the singer in front of the listener (and not in the head),
- balanced stage, without the impression of emptiness in the center, greater stage depth,
- similar sound resolution level,
- and yet overall a darker and warmer presentation (this is also my preference),
- no impression of excessive analytical nature,
- balance in the mix, even on HE1000 the vocals are still the most important,
- overall more pleasant presentation, without flexing the muscles, but still with a powerful kick if the situation requires it.

To sum up, if Aune had only two things better - better stage depth and better timbre of male vocals (both phenomena are probably related), I would be ready to pay even more than 1000 USD for this amplifier, but in my system and to my ears the Singxer SA1 is better amplifier and I write this without much hesitation.

Apr 25, 2024 at 5:27 AM Post #2,205 of 2,240
I found your post I was referring to. You seemed to be pretty convinced the Singxer was much better. Does any of the below points still stand?

Since then, I replaced the original Hifiman cable in the HE1000 Stealth headphones with a QED cable - this cable nicely cleared the midrange of some brightness, the second thing is that Aune changed the sound during the burn-in process, the change also occurs mainly in the midrange. The effect of these changes is now that I listen to music on Aune and enjoy it, and when I switched to Singxer a few days ago, I only noticed that Singxer's presentation is more dissociated and less engaging, so I went back to listening to music with Aune . I think my Aune is still burning out, but I still have the Singxer and I'm going to compare them next weekend, then I'll answer your question.

Additionally I'm going to try using the Singxer SA-1 as a pure PRE for the Aune, I'm just waiting for a new XLR cable to daisy chain them together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back