Aune S17 pro
May 1, 2024 at 2:49 AM Post #2,222 of 2,308
I just ordered an Aune S17 pro today. All the posts about heat and volume issues didn't keep me away to get one. After all, it's all about the sound and I'm very curious to see if the S17 delivers what it promises. But to be honest it would be nice to not get an old one with the old firmware...

I will be using the amp from my RME Adi-2 dac fs. Any thought on that combo? I will share my experiences as soon as I have the device at home.
which headphones do you have? My s17 is the later batch, if. i leave it turned on for about 2 hours in a 21c° room it will reach 68c° and then pass to 50milliampere. But the class a heats more if you leave it without signal. using my he1000se it stay safe but never listened 2 hours. you won't obtain a valve sound but a slighty warm sound with good shape of musician and good texture and sense of echoes that spread far. i'm waiting for a x26pro hardly modded (more selected components at the cost of 800 euros made by an italian engineer expert on gustard stuff) to join with it in balanced mode to discover the real potential of this amp. Please change the power chord with a better one: i love ramm audio stuff but is a little expensive and i made my power chord buying the raw ramm audio cable. the cheaper and the more expensive . you'll obtain more dynamic and without harshness.

May 1, 2024 at 3:24 AM Post #2,223 of 2,308
which headphones do you have?
My main headphones at the moment are the Arya Stealth and the Meze 109 pro. But I will test it as well with my HD800s.

My s17 is the later batch
As far as I understood the first firmware update corrected the volume issue. Aune stated that in a earlier post. So I hope I will get a later batch as well.

May 1, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #2,224 of 2,308
I will be using the amp from my RME Adi-2 dac fs. Any thought on that combo? I will share my experiences as soon as I have the device at home.
I'm pretty happy :)

May 1, 2024 at 4:38 AM Post #2,225 of 2,308
do any of you know if aune s17 accepts a 5 volts xlr input signal?i can adjust my x26pro xlr output voltage. Besides for what concernig temperature , if it is true that without signal , in class a the temperature increase at maximum, i guess that in single ended mode (with rca input) it should arrive earlier at the maximum temperature, i'm i wrong?i'm not a technician

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #2,226 of 2,308
I like this "Passion for Sound" guy, but I think he's a bit lost in this particular review. The main theme of the review was an imaginary (in my opinion) grainy treble. This is a bit unfair. Although I must admit that I didn't love Aune at first sight.

The reviewer focused rather on subjective matters, pushing into the background such important issues as the dynamics and power reserve of this amplifier, which are such an important element of every audio game.

In my opinion, the resolution of Aune's sound is due to its incredible dynamics and perfect linearity (the reviewer claims otherwise).

A perfect example is the Led Zeppelin song "The Song Remains the Same", which thanks to this hellish dynamics from the Aune S17 gets a new life, there are layers, there is drive... for example, with the Singxer SA-1 (which is very good by the way) this recording is almost flat.

When it comes to this treble, in my opinion Aune has a pro or rather audiophile character, it is never the hissing and ticking known from hi-fi devices. The decays have a definite momentum and power, but without much "tail".
It is more consistent with what we hear at concerts, and never with what comes out of, for example, average home hi-fi speakers.

Or maybe Aune is so transparent that he finally showed some grain of the reviewer's system, you never know....

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 1:30 AM Post #2,227 of 2,308
My main headphones at the moment are the Arya Stealth and the Meze 109 pro. But I will test it as well with my HD800s.

As far as I understood the first firmware update corrected the volume issue. Aune stated that in a earlier post. So I hope I will get a later batch as well.
I tried this amp with both the 109 and a HF HE400SE, it drives the beautifully both, you will not be disappointment.

May 3, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #2,228 of 2,308
I like this "Passion for Sound" guy, but I think he's a bit lost in this particular review. The main theme of the review was an imaginary (in my opinion) grainy treble. This is a bit unfair. Although I must admit that I didn't love Aune at first sight.

The reviewer focused rather on subjective matters, pushing into the background such important issues as the dynamics and power reserve of this amplifier, which are such an important element of every audio game.

In my opinion, the resolution of Aune's sound is due to its incredible dynamics and perfect linearity (the reviewer claims otherwise).

A perfect example is the Led Zeppelin song "The Song Remains the Same", which thanks to this hellish dynamics from the Aune S17 gets a new life, there are layers, there is drive... for example, with the Singxer SA-1 (which is very good by the way) this recording is almost flat.

When it comes to this treble, in my opinion Aune has a pro or rather audiophile character, it is never the hissing and ticking known from hi-fi devices. The decays have a definite momentum and power, but without much "tail".
It is more consistent with what we hear at concerts, and never with what comes out of, for example, average home hi-fi speakers.

Or maybe Aune is so transparent that he finally showed some grain of the reviewer's system, you never know....
I read this as "he didn't gush over my amp, so I don't like his review". All reviews are subjective, and why you should read/view more than one. On my Artemis, he certainly gushed over it, but I certainly didn't take it as the gospel. I looked around for other opinions including this very site. I was actually looking for negatives to see if there was something I should be concerned about. That's me.

But yeah, most reviews are subjective, even when they try hard to be objective. I think Lachlen is one who actually does try to be objective. Either way not everyone is going to agree with all reviews, no matter the reviewer. It's like saying one size fits all.

May 3, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #2,229 of 2,308
If he thinks it has grainy treble he probably did not let it burn in properly and/or was listening with the wrong type op headphones. I refuse to watch reviews by this guy, period because his tone makes my skin crawl. There is something intensely fake about him and I just cannot stand it.

May 3, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #2,230 of 2,308
I read this as "he didn't gush over my amp, so I don't like his review". All reviews are subjective, and why you should read/view more than one. On my Artemis, he certainly gushed over it, but I certainly didn't take it as the gospel. I looked around for other opinions including this very site. I was actually looking for negatives to see if there was something I should be concerned about. That's me.

But yeah, most reviews are subjective, even when they try hard to be objective. I think Lachlen is one who actually does try to be objective. Either way not everyone is going to agree with all reviews, no matter the reviewer. It's like saying one size fits all.
Insinuations? It's never nice.

But the reviewer concluded that this is the best amplifier under $1000. For me it is clear that he liked the Aune S17 amplifier.

I simply cannot confirm the graininess of the treble, and I have spent over 300 hours on critical listening, most of that time on HE1000 Stealth, and that's all.

We don't know how much time "Passion for Sound" had for review...
"Soundnews" spent about 2 months with Aune S17... but he doesn't publish so many reviews

But let's agree with this one, a review is just a review.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #2,231 of 2,308
I'm somewhat surprised by this debate. Lachlen isn't my favorite reviewer and I didn't agree with everything in his review. (Notably, his conclusion that the S17 is not a warm amp. It sounds warm to me and to most reviewers as well--Ichos was surprised to find it even warmer than the Vioelectric V222, itself considered a quite warm or tubey SS amp. I left a polite comment to this effect on the review and received an equally polite response from Lachlen. But as I noted in my comment, we all hear differently and this hobby is inherently very subjective.) However, some of his criticisms were spot on (the multi-function button is indeed imprecise and I generally need multiple tries to get the change I intend) and overall he gave the amp a positive review if not quite as positive or gushing as most other reviewers. This illustrates the tendency of many on the internet to regard any review of a product they like (not just audio, but games, movies, etc.) that is less than an absolute rave or a "perfect ten" to be very negative and to get upset or even angry about it. The "fanboy" effect if you will.

In any event, the review that I am still waiting for is that of Currawong, though he's made some favorable comments about the S17 in passing in a couple of posts. (Hint, hint if you're reading this, Amos. :beyersmile:)

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 1:32 AM Post #2,232 of 2,308
i liked that review and his reviews in general, i bought the thieaudio elixir following hid advices and they are wonderfull, he is right saying this amp doesn't sound as a valve amp, i would add a cheap valve amp, and yes it is a little warm in sound. s17 sound instead like the best valve amp not the mellow ones but the fast and accurate amp like 2a3 or 45 based amp (not like a 300b for example). there is thickness in the sound followed by a lot of air, but for sure there will be something more if there are 10,000 euros amps in the market. and yes i don't like his voice too but this is subjective and at least he expounds his ideas in an orderly and polite manner not like z reviews for example. on monday i will get my modded x26pro and i'll try with it. next step: streamer , and i will be done.

i'm selling my portable ifi gryphon here if anybody is interested

May 4, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #2,233 of 2,308
I received my S17 pro last week but haven’t had time to unpack und install it. Good that the weekend is here….
Today, I finally had the time to get a proper listening to my new S17 pro. Lets share my first impressions:

Build Quality:
I like the look and the haptic is also pleasing. All good and a positive first impression. Not to mention the small remote control, who need more than that 😊

Sound Quality:
At the moment my chain looks like that: TITAL -> USB Cable -> RME ADI-2 DAC FS -> balanced Inakustik Excellence XLR -> S17 pro -> Headphones
For my first listening session, I used my 109 pro and my Arya Stealth. My HD 800S are still untouched so far.

I would describe the overall sound as full, dynamic and rather on the pleasing side. That is, in my opinion, a good thing especially for the Aryas, because it takes away the harshness of the treble. So to my ears the Ayras work really well with this amp.

On the other hand, since the 109 pro is already a slightly V-shaped headphone with good body, the additional fullness is not really needed. I think, the 109pro combo still works, but not on the same level as the Ayra. To be honest, I most like the 109pro just out of the RME without any additional amplification. The RME Adi-2 DAC/Amp is neutral as hell and to my ears just perfect for a headphone like the 109 pro. Anyway back to the S17 pro….

I was surprised that it adds quite a bit of extra soundstage. That is again a good thing for those two headphones, but I still have to check if it also works for a headphone like the HD 800s.

I use it in the 100mA mode, because I believe that the amp was designed for that. I haven’t tested the lower one so far. Temperature wise it stays at 64 C, up until now no issues with that…

As you can see the first impression is quite good. It could be because I am leaning lately towards warmer sound signatures with more body. And yes, I’m still in love with my OTL tube amp 😊

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #2,234 of 2,308
I received my S17 pro last week but haven’t had time to unpack und install it. Good that the weekend is here….
Today, I finally had the time to get a proper listening to my new S17 pro. Lets share my first impressions:

Build Quality:
I like the look and the haptic is also pleasing. All good and a positive first impression. Not to mention the small remote control, who need more than that 😊

Sound Quality:
At the moment my chain looks like that: TITAL -> USB Cable -> RME ADI-2 DAC FS -> balanced Inakustik Excellence XLR -> S17 pro -> Headphones
For my first listening session, I used my 109 pro and my Arya Stealth. My HD 800S are still untouched so far.

I would describe the overall sound as full, dynamic and rather on the pleasing side. That is, in my opinion, a good thing especially for the Aryas, because it takes away the harshness of the tremble. So to my ears the Ayras work really well with this amp.

On the other hand, since the 109 pro is already a slightly V-shaped headphone with good body, the additional fullness is not really needed. I think, the 109pro combo still works, but not on the same level as the Ayra. To be honest, I most like the 109pro just out of the RME without any additional amplification. The RME Adi-2 DAC/Amp is neutral as hell and to my ears just perfect for a headphone like the 109 pro. Anyway back to the S17 pro….

I was surprised that it adds quite a bit of extra soundstage. That is again a good thing for those two headphones, but I still have to check if it also works for a headphone like the HD 800s.

I use it in the 100mA mode, because I believe that the amp was designed for that. I haven’t tested the lower one so far. Temperature wise it stays at 64 C, up until now no issues with that…

As you can see the first impression is quite good. It could be because I am leaning lately towards warmer sound signatures with more body. And yes, I’m still in love with my OTL tube amp 😊
The HD800S and any high impedance can like the DT880 or SENN 6XX sound great from this amp, the 109 Pro I think it sounds better on the 50ma mode, and for planars this amp is a beast. Welcome to the club my friend.

May 5, 2024 at 3:55 AM Post #2,235 of 2,308
The Aune S17 pairs very nicely with the higher tier HiFiMan (open-back) planars or any headphone that is on the brighter, more transparent side. Not because it's particularly warm (I generally wouldn't call it warm). But because it's so rich and full sounding that it creates a good synergy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back