Aune S17 pro
Apr 17, 2024 at 2:46 AM Post #2,131 of 2,226
It depends, I'm afraid people have complain so much about this feature regarding the 50ma and 100ma mode and the temp reading that aune might just decide to get rid of the feature all together and called it a day. If they get rid of this feature, there's no point in having a temp reading on the amp
If by feature you mean 50-100mA switch, then I doubt they would do that, it was a selling point for many, including me. That would be a downgrade.

Apr 17, 2024 at 5:19 AM Post #2,132 of 2,226
.... why would agreement be necessary? Just use what you prefer 🤷🏻‍♂️.
"Agree" was a bad choice of word. I should have asked if there are any technical reasons to why one of the inputs might sound better than the other?
I'm going to compare the S17 Pro to my V200 once I get it, and I want to know if it makes a difference between the two inputs, to make the comparison as fair as possible :)

Apr 17, 2024 at 6:08 AM Post #2,133 of 2,226
If by feature you mean 50-100mA switch, then I doubt they would do that, it was a selling point for many, including me. That would be a downgrade.
Personally, I think that the project is good, I already have the second unit for testing and there is absolutely no problem with the temperature, even on a day when it was 28 degrees C in the room, the amplifier showed 61 degrees C without any improvements.

However, I discovered yesterday that the Aune amplifier sounds better with the volume set to 63 (max) and when the volume is adjusted in the Gustard R26. This was quite a surprise for me, because it is not a sophisticated solution.

This means that the volume control on the Aune degrades the sound significantly, I'm starting to consider something in between, something like KHOZMO, to get the best of the Aune.

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #2,134 of 2,226
Can we all agree that there is no difference in sound quality between using RCA in vs. XLR in? 👀
@AuneAudio ?
It depends on what is on the other end of the cable :p Also it depends on what rca and xlr cables you use, also it depends on how long your cable is. Also it depends on how noisy the EM-environment is in you room. So it seems we cannot all agree on such a blanket statement.

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #2,135 of 2,226
It depends on what is on the other end of the cable :p Also it depends on what rca and xlr cables you use, also it depends on how long your cable is. Also it depends on how noisy the EM-environment is in you room. So it seems we cannot all agree on such a blanket statement.
I'm talking only inside the S17 Pro, not taking anything external into account.

Apr 17, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #2,137 of 2,226
However, I discovered yesterday that the Aune amplifier sounds better with the volume set to 63 (max) and when the volume is adjusted in the Gustard R26. This was quite a surprise for me, because it is not a sophisticated solution.

can you more detail on "sounds better"?

I tried to maximize my S17 volume (and reduce the Apple music volume), the midbass somehow increasing, and it is not better.
however, I will try to reduce the volume from my DAC (fiio Q15) tomorrow

Apr 17, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #2,138 of 2,226
czy możesz podać więcej szczegółów na temat „brzmi lepiej”?

Próbowałem zmaksymalizować głośność mojego S17 (i zmniejszyć głośność muzyki Apple), średni bas w jakiś sposób wzrósł i nie jest lepiej.
jednak jutro spróbuję zmniejszyć głośność w moim DAC (fiio Q15).

human voices are more natural, the sound is more organic, the background is generally darker, of course I'm not talking about day-to-night differences, but when I listen closely, it's hard for me to go back to adjusting the volume in Aune. Especially on HE1000 headphones it is noticeable, on others the differences are smaller

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #2,139 of 2,226
It's pretty weird.
Maybe Gustard is somehow overloaded and gives signal distortion at high volume levels?

Apr 17, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #2,141 of 2,226
"What did they say exactly?"

I don't quote it, they were not helpful at all and clearly rejected to help me. It wasn't a pleasent customer experience, I can say.
Thing is, I don't believe you -since you're not willing to quote- that the Austrian Aune subsidiary was rude or unfriendly.
I believe much more that they are legally not able to help you out initially, since you bought at a typical "amazon wannabe jack of all trades" shop. As I know Alza, they intentionally make it almost impossible for customers to get good service when there's a complaint. So, you ended up with the Austrian Aune office, who surely wanted from you that you get in contact with your shop first... but then again, it was Alza.

I really don't mean it in a bad way, but I know the Austrian Aune subsidiary and hand on the heart, they are usually super polite and helpful. My personal guess is, that if you can prove to them that you don't get support from Alza (because they are what they are known for), Aune Austria will certainly help you. 100%

Apr 17, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #2,142 of 2,226
super interesting set-up. my unit has the issue of sounding completely different after the 56 mark but it was far too loud for me, but reading this has reminded me I can still adjust the volume knob on my iFi Zen DAC (I typically keep it on fixed mode when hooked up to an amp, but of course I have to switch this off for this).

you're not wrong, Aune have absolutely cocked the volume control on the first batch -- but doing this workaround does make the Aune sound more lifelike to me!

Apr 17, 2024 at 7:20 PM Post #2,143 of 2,226
For a second version I would recommend taller feet and a bottom finned heat sink with the possibility to attach a controlled fan (that only starts spinning when the unit is getting too hot).
That's like a must at this point, every other manufacturer at this price point is adding taller feet to their products precisely for this reason, specially if it's an amp that runs hot.

Apr 17, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #2,144 of 2,226

I tried to maximize my S17 volume (and reduce the Apple music volume), the midbass somehow increasing, and it is not better.
My dad recently bought a pair of meze 109 pros and he lend them to me to give them a listen, btw, what an incredible headphone, 100% recommend them, I discover while listening on my desktop setup that those headphones didn't like either 100ma and high gain on the S17, what I noticed with these headphones is that the subbass almost disappear on 100ma but on 50ma it came back but with a vengance, so you might want to change modes and gain settings and see what works best with your headphones.

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:22 PM Post #2,145 of 2,226

Already tried Q15 with variable volume (and aune s17 volume is fixed at 63)

From my listening experience, it reduce the upper midrange freqs (vocal region).
But I prefer this setup, more fun and less fatiguing (I don't like vocal being too forward; just my preference)

Thanks for the idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back