Aune M2 | AK4490 Dac | Class A amp | Dual Crystek USA Clocks |
May 13, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #451 of 824
Nice video, it was quite helpful. However, I am having a hard time deciding between the M2 and the pro having only heard the pro. Is the pro worth almost twice as much and if so why? The M2 sounded so good by itself that I am thinking that the M2/B1 for the same price as the pro makes more sense than just the pro. Or am I really missing out on something and should just use the $500 to get the pro?

Also, you mentioned that the highs are better in the pro/S, but I considered that the key strength of the basic M2.  am very sensitive to highs and hate sizzle preferring the M2 smooth treble. Are they really better or just different and potentially a downgrade in my prospective? Or is it really actually a noticeable improvement that anyone could hear? 

I'm really sorry, but I'm not sure I'll be helpful. All opinions are subjective, especially when it came to the matter of price. M2 is a nice player, but for me "basic" version sounds too dark and muddy. So, I won't buy it anyway. But I can't tell, if this will be true for anyone, as we all have different hearing and preferences. A friend of mine prefered basic M2 version in blind auditioning, I preferred M2s :) So, M2Pro (and M2s) FOR ME is really better and Pro is a minimum considerable option. But it cost a bit higher then $500, and M2Pro has too simple UI and too short battery life for this price tier.

If you are a person, who prefers sound most of all, you can definitely go with M2Pro, it's small and it sounds really good. But for me other aspects are also important, so I'd go with Cayin N5/Fiio X5-2 if I'll be short in money (they are tiny bit worse in sound, but anyway good and has better UI) or QLS 360 (it's big but battery life and sound are good). Or I'll save some money for higher end DAPs.

But please note, it's just a my preferences. YMMV.

P.S. IMHO Aune missed price tiers a little bit, and all M2 versions costs a bit more then they should

May 16, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #452 of 824
Just to clarify, what format does the 128gb card need to be for it to be recognized? And how do I update the firmware? I would go through the ~31 pages of thread, but it's finals week and I don't have much time.

Thanks!

May 16, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #453 of 824
  Just to clarify, what format does the 128gb card need to be for it to be recognized? And how do I update the firmware? I would go through the ~31 pages of thread, but it's finals week and I don't have much time.

Thanks!

FAT32 and only FAT32:)
You'll have to upload the new fw to your sd-card and than choose "update" (or smth similar) in "Options" menu of your M2. 

May 16, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #454 of 824
  FAT32 and only FAT32:)
You'll have to upload the new fw to your sd-card and than choose "update" (or smth similar) in "Options" menu of your M2. 

Ah, thanks. I'm going to have to find the FAT32 formatter tool, Windows doesn't allow it for 128gb by default.

After I update, can I delete the fw file? Every time I open my M2 now I get a "Updating files..." sign for 2 minutes; it's pretty annoying.

Also, has anyone been having trouble with .ape files? It doesn't play on my 200gb card, but I do have a few glitches on that card and people are saying it could be because of the size.

May 16, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #455 of 824
  Ah, thanks. I'm going to have to find the FAT32 formatter tool, Windows doesn't allow it for 128gb by default.

I use GUIformat in order to do it. Or if you have another DAP with function "format SD-card" in its menu, you can use it. Fiio X1 or X3 are good.
After I update, can I delete the fw file? Every time I open my M2 now I get a "Updating files..." sign for 2 minutes; it's pretty annoying.

You don't need that fw file after you complete your updates. At least, that was the case with the M2 i had a chance to use for a while. 
  Also, has anyone been having trouble with .ape files? It doesn't play on my 200gb card, but I do have a few glitches on that card and people are saying it could be because of the size.

The one i  was acquainted with couldn't read any of those. It reads flac, mp3 and that's pretty it.

May 16, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #456 of 824
  I use GUIformat in order to do it. Or if you have another DAP with function "format SD-card" in its menu, you can use it. Fiio X1 or X3 are good.
You don't need that fw file after you complete your updates. At least, that was the case with the M2 i had a chance to use for a while. 
The one i  was acquainted with couldn't read any of those. It reads flac, mp3 and that's pretty it.

Tsk... that's a bummer. Most of Chesky's albums are in .ape format, I'm going to have to find a good lossless converter tool. Thanks for your help!

May 16, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #457 of 824
I have recently got my M2 player that has following problem
For no reason the player will suddenly shut down midway through a song
Happens on different songs and file types
I have upgraded to firmware 1.21 and problem still occurs
I have used a different TF card and problem still occurs
I have contacted Aune via email but have had no response
Just wondering if anyone else experienced this problem

May 16, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #458 of 824
  I have recently got my M2 player that has following problem
For no reason the player will suddenly shut down midway through a song
Happens on different songs and file types
I have upgraded to firmware 1.21 and problem still occurs
I have used a different TF card and problem still occurs
I have contacted Aune via email but have had no response
Just wondering if anyone else experienced this problem

I have never experienced this issue so far. My M2 runs on the same firmware. There is a Aune representative here, may be you can try to contact him.

http://www.head-fi.org/u/422769/auneaudio

May 16, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #459 of 824
Very odd behavior indeed and very much not normal. There is a few things you can do to try and troubleshoot on your end which could/might help your situation. The first thing I would attempt is a factory reset of the device. If memory serves there is a setting that accomplishes this, however, if my memory is off (my Aune is currently out on repair) then I would move towards updating yet one more time to 1.22 which is the latest firmware. Barring that I would return it and exchange, and don't let the one lemon deter you. This device is amazing, especially if you grabbed yourself the B1 to stack with.

Cheers!

May 17, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #460 of 824

I have never experienced this issue so far. My M2 runs on the same firmware. There is a Aune representative here, may be you can try to contact him.

http://www.head-fi.org/u/422769/auneaudio

Thanks for your feedback
I have made contact and will await response.
I have tried different brand TF cards with FAT32 format and different music files and it has been occuring 2-3 times in 2 hrs so very strange
However regardless of this problem I have a number of DAP's at the moment and the sound on this player is excellent - it is the only DAP i have that can drive my HD600 or alpha dogs with decent sound without amplification
In my collection of players the only one that is on par for sound quality or better is the pono player in balanced mode (for anyone who may be on the fence -the pono sounds good in standard mode but is a totally different player in balanced mode)  but the Aune if i can resolve this  shut down problem may end up better as it seems to be getting more refined  with break in (placebo ??) especially for the price.
I have been switching between some of the middle range DAPs i have ( the Hum pervasion, DX90, Alien and X5, pono) with the same music and a range of headphones and this player is very detailed and addictive and for those that have a M1 -a step up in refinement in my opinion.
Really sounds good  direct with my denon mm400, philips l2 and MSR7 and through line out with amplification it is even better
Thanks again for feedback

May 17, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #461 of 824
  Very odd behavior indeed and very much not normal. There is a few things you can do to try and troubleshoot on your end which could/might help your situation. The first thing I would attempt is a factory reset of the device. If memory serves there is a setting that accomplishes this, however, if my memory is off (my Aune is currently out on repair) then I would move towards updating yet one more time to 1.22 which is the latest firmware. Barring that I would return it and exchange, and don't let the one lemon deter you. This device is amazing, especially if you grabbed yourself the B1 to stack with.

Cheers!

Do you have a link for the 1.22 firmware - on the Aune website the download will not extract a dat file only the version 1.21 will extract file - thanks for feedback

May 17, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #463 of 824
  Very odd again you say this. I just went to the website and downloaded and extracted with Winrar. No problem extracting the dat. Perhaps try again with winrar or another alternative extractor?

I have the same issue as tonyc2468. Have tried to extract the 1.22 rar from Linux and OSx and both complained there are no files to be extracted. I will try from a Windows PC.

May 17, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #464 of 824
  Tsk... that's a bummer. Most of Chesky's albums are in .ape format, I'm going to have to find a good lossless converter tool. Thanks for your help!

NOt sure if you have MAC or Windows; I use a program called XLD to convert between audio file format. It is fast and simple and FREE. It was MAC only before but now they have windows version. Google 'em.

200GB Micro SD card is still not supported on FW1.21

In the meantime, I will download and install the 1.22 and see if there's any improvements. 

@tonyc2468
I heard a good things about Pono in balance mode. According to you what would be the biggest difference between the two ? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back