Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP with ESS9018KM + 2.5mm Balanced Out)
Jun 22, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #1,456 of 1,991
So, it really is quite sensitive to the encoding.

Just to clarify, the lavf55.19.104 files just caused the player to sound like a broken cd. When I converted it through foobar's qaac 2.64, CoreAudioToolbox 7.10.8.0, Apple Lossless Encoder, that's when the device became incredibly slow and hangs.
I will try out qaac soon. I used to use it and then decided to stay with lame.

I will give it another go.

Jun 22, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #1,457 of 1,991
I put my m1s inside my bag when I'm on travel because I don't want to hold it but and it gets hot after a while. Is it normal?

Happened to me all the time when I am trying to playback DSD64 or DSD128 track and left it in my pocket for a while....by the way I am living in a country that is summer all year round so yeah, everything here will sometime gets a little warm.

Jun 22, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #1,458 of 1,991
ALAC isn't on the list of supported formats, my unit gets to about body temperature if I max it out for a couple of hours.
It gets warm but never hot.
If your unit gets hot you might want to return it. With a discussion forum like this if one person says their unit gets hot it makes
it seem like all the units will. I don't think this is the case. Also I have never had a problem with it playing back dsf files.

Jun 22, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #1,459 of 1,991
ALAC isn't on the list of supported formats, my unit gets to about body temperature if I max it out for a couple of hours.
If your unit gets hot you might want to return it. With a discussion forum like this if one person says their unit gets hot it makes
it seem like all the units will. I don't think this is the case. Also I have never had a problem with it playing back dsf files.
Well not really hot, it's part of design to be warm or a little hot. It has to ventilate heat out of it somehow and using Metal Chassis to do so.
Like a heatsink for a CPU.

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #1,460 of 1,991
So, it really is quite sensitive to the encoding.

Just to clarify, the lavf55.19.104 files just caused the player to sound like a broken cd. When I converted it through foobar's qaac 2.64, CoreAudioToolbox 7.10.8.0, Apple Lossless Encoder, that's when the device became incredibly slow and hangs.
Strange, using Xrecode
qaac 2.64, CoreAudioToolbox 7.10.9.0, AAC-LC Encoder, TVBR q127, Quality 96
No issues, plays seamlessly fine.

Jun 23, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #1,463 of 1,991

Well, not trying to start an argument right here but I will admit that my Aune M1s do get kind of uncomfortably hot if I leave it playing DSD track in my pocket for long hours........ not a big problem though because I prefer holding it......... as for DSD (strictly DSD 64 & DSD 128 only) playback, mostly of my files are in .dsf and I have not notice any pop sound with the latest firmware installed....I am using SanDisk Ultra, Class 10, 128gb Micro Sd card..... if you have any other SD card lying around why not give them a go because you are not the first one to have encountered (and reported) this bug.

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #1,465 of 1,991
Eep. Got a lemon unit. Had to return mine due to screen issues.

9934436_l.jpg

9934437_l.jpg

After 10+ mins. of turning the unit on, I get this red vertical line on the left edge and a dark blue line on the right edge. It only goes away if I turn off the unit and let it rest for a while but comes back after around 10 minutes or so. It doesn't really affect any audio performance, but with this problem, it would be possible to get a dead LCD soon.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #1,466 of 1,991
Did anyone compare this with Aune M2 Pro? I have M2 Pro in mint condition on the way and wondering how the SQ difference from m1s.

Jun 24, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #1,468 of 1,991
I did a search through the thread for mentions of the caps power output., but couldn't find anything to answer my question.

I'm not trying to drive 250 ohm headphones but my Alphas seem to take more power than a normal 50 ohm headphones. Has anyone used the m1s with a fostex t50rp or a set of alphas without another amp?

Any dap can power my iems, but I want one for my alphas..

Jun 26, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #1,469 of 1,991
Regarding the radom crackles with DSD playback, I found it more prominent when using the 2.5mm balanced vs 3.5mm. However, I'm not sure if it's been suggested yet, but a simple shut off, wait a few seconds, and then turn back on and play seems to clear/fix the crackles. Sometimes, it may make take another restart, especially with 2.5mm, but never with the 3.5mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back