Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP with ESS9018KM + 2.5mm Balanced Out)
Dec 18, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #166 of 1,991
I found the listings at both Penon Audio and Shenzhenaudio. Both show the MSRP of $249 US. Other than using Taobao for less $$$ and perhaps having no US warranty (?) where is the cost savings others may be finding from Penon or Shezhen Audio? Is it the 'free' shipping savings?

I'll buy it next Friday. Finally got my family's gifts.

Dec 18, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #168 of 1,991
I'm sure @RedJohn456 will do that in due time. Just be patient...

30938524.jpg

Will have a full standalone impressions post soon and comparisons to X10 now that I have had a chance to play with the two (really hectic week lol). 

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #170 of 1,991
Thanks for the continuing impressions @RedJohn456. I'm surprised Aune continued with the odd form factor. I specifically have feedback on the sharp edges when testing the M2. Was hoping they'd drop that with their next DAP...

Did you get yours (m1s) for testing?

Yeah, I have to agree with Tamal (@RedJohn456), I provided a similar feedback through Lee to Aune team.  The ergonomics of the design and the choice of using d-pad was not the best idea for a portable use, not exactly pocket or hand-held friendly.  But damn, does it SOUND GOOD from 2.5mm BAL output!!!

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #172 of 1,991
Took the M1s outside for portable use today.... and it will be the last time I take it out. The M1S is singlehandedly the most unwieldy portable device I have used to date. JESUS CHRIST who the hell at Aune designed this thing?

Too long and narrow to hold comfortably, the power switch is all the way at the top of the side panel and corners at the bottom are sharp! Seriously I actually avoided taking it out of my pocket at times because I didn't want to deal with handling it. As good as the M1S sounds (sounds pretty fuking pretty good) I cannot for the life of me figure out why the hell they went with this design? Combined with the thickness of the device, made it very hard to use portably while on the go for me. Just a really frustrating experience, especially considering how great it sounds!

IMO extremely poor ergonomics specially considering the price tag, again IMO they dropped the ball on this one. The buttons on the engineering sample are not final design so I will pass judgement but they were too easily pressed in my pocket - a locking button ala xDuoo X10 would have been quite helpful. Found tracks changing a few times due to accidental button presses while in my pocket. And finally, poor weight distribution had me almost dropping it more than once. 

But I will still use the M1S around the house or whatever, but when outside its going to be the xDuoo X10 100%, it is so much easier to use portably and one handed.

Does the x10 sound as good, better or worse?

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #173 of 1,991

Did you get yours (m1s) for testing?

Yeah, I have to agree with Tamal (@RedJohn456), I provided a similar feedback through Lee to Aune team.  The ergonomics of the design and the choice of using d-pad was not the best idea for a portable use, not exactly pocket or hand-held friendly.  But damn, does it SOUND GOOD from 2.5mm BAL output!!!

Okay glad to read that its just not me nitpicking. I am not one to lamblast a product but my experience was so negative I had to post it. And yes the headphone outs, SE and Balanced are quite spectacular! 

Also do you find that the gapless function isn't working? Its not working for me :/ 

Only sound is important:grinning:

:p
Does the x10 sound as good, better or worse?

Aune M1S headphone out is better than the X10 headphone out, haven't had a chance to compare the line outs however. The differences aren't marked and M1S is certainly not $100 USD better (headphone out).

Dec 18, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #174 of 1,991
Took the M1s outside for portable use today.... and it will be the last time I take it out. The M1S is singlehandedly the most unwieldy portable device I have used to date. JESUS CHRIST who the hell at Aune designed this thing?

Too long and narrow to hold comfortably, the power switch is all the way at the top of the side panel and corners at the bottom are sharp! Seriously I actually avoided taking it out of my pocket at times because I didn't want to deal with handling it. As good as the M1S sounds (sounds pretty fuking pretty good) I cannot for the life of me figure out why the hell they went with this design? Combined with the thickness of the device, made it very hard to use portably while on the go for me. Just a really frustrating experience, especially considering how great it sounds!

IMO extremely poor ergonomics specially considering the price tag, again IMO they dropped the ball on this one. The buttons on the engineering sample are not final design so I will pass judgement but they were too easily pressed in my pocket - a locking button ala xDuoo X10 would have been quite helpful. Found tracks changing a few times due to accidental button presses while in my pocket. And finally, poor weight distribution had me almost dropping it more than once. 

But I will still use the M1S around the house or whatever, but when outside its going to be the xDuoo X10 100%, it is so much easier to use portably and one handed.

Which one is superior? In terms of UI responsiveness and navigation? The X10 or M1S?

Dec 18, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #177 of 1,991
Aune M1S UI is more simple (almost stripped down) and as a result relatively easier to use, but in terms of UI responsiveness and overall navigation its a tie. They are both very easy to use with no lag. 

So get the X10? Or the M1S?

Dec 18, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #179 of 1,991
So get the X10? Or the M1S?

We haven't received the final release FW yet, still in beta and I don't have final hardware (engineering sample) but the design won't change obviously. 

Depends on your needs. If you will use it outside all day on the go, as in not sitting down somewhere, I would recommend the X10 as it is a lot easier to handle. If you have balanced gear Aune is the way to go. You see where I am going with this? It really depends on your needs.

I had my brother (who doesn't care about audio) to pick up both the X10 and M1S in his hands and tell me his impressions and he was like immediately the X10 felt a lot more premium in comparison, lot sturdier with the M1S feeling like "cheap plastic." Again its an engineering sample but I can only go by what I have.

Take that as you will, I still have to compare the line out performances to get a more clear verdict. IMO Aune made a fantastic sounding DAP, while at the same time handicapping it with some poor hardware design choices IMO.  

Edit: However if Sound is your one and ONLY criteria, and you dont plan on using line out at all, then Aune is the way to go as well. For headphone out SQ, Aune M1S > xDuoo X10. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back