Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP with ESS9018KM + 2.5mm Balanced Out)
Dec 20, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #196 of 1,991
So I realize I have been pretty negative about the M1S when it comes to the physical aspects but I should have talked more about the sound. The only reason I am being tough on it is that it is in a noticeably higher price bracket compared to its competition, so with that comes higher expectation.

The M1S sounds fuking fantastic! I can't emphasize how great the balanced out sounds. As I type this I am listening to my HD600 using a custom VE balanced cable and my god does it drive the HD600 bloody good. Not like good for its size but it drives the HD600 well period. All my B*tching aside, Aune nailed the sound, clear, balanced top to bottom, walking a fine line between musicality and analytical. 

Very transparent sounding and quite dynamic and energetic but not unnaturally so. Everything sounds so life like and natural, specially how the soundstage is represented. The separation, layering and staging of elements is quite pleasing. All in all if you can put up with the less than ideal dimensions, you are getting one heck of a DAP. 

I greatly appreciate the simplicity of the M1S UI and navigation as most screens are but one or two clicks away. The buttons are quite responsive and the whole thing is intuitive. I exclusively use it in folder more as all the music I have purchased in WAV/FLAC format lack ID3 tagging (damn). 

So I must ask this because my LZ A4 is on the way :D. Any preference when pairing the M1S/X10 with A4? Am I right to say A4 does not support balanced output, so it should be a close fight?

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #197 of 1,991
So I must ask this because my LZ A4 is on the way :D. Any preference when pairing the M1S/X10 with A4? Am I right to say A4 does not support balanced output, so it should be a close fight?

You must need to get balanced cables for the LZA4, right? Shouldn't be too hard to accomplish.

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #198 of 1,991
So I must ask this because my LZ A4 is on the way
biggrin.gif
. Any preference when pairing the M1S/X10 with A4? Am I right to say A4 does not support balanced output, so it should be a close fight?

LZ A4 does support balanced, it only needs a balanced cable for it to work. Preference wise, with respect to headphone out (not talking about line out at all), I prefer the Aune X1s to xDuoo X10. The differences aren't night and day but I prefer the airier sound of the X1S headphone out (both balanced and singe ended).

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #201 of 1,991
  So I realize I have been pretty negative about the M1S when it comes to the physical aspects but I should have talked more about the sound. The only reason I am being tough on it is that it is in a noticeably higher price bracket compared to its competition, so with that comes higher expectation.

The M1S sounds fuking fantastic! I can't emphasize how great the balanced out sounds. As I type this I am listening to my HD600 using a custom VE balanced cable and my god does it drive the HD600 bloody good. Not like good for its size but it drives the HD600 well period. All my B*tching aside, Aune nailed the sound, clear, balanced top to bottom, walking a fine line between musicality and analytical. 

Very transparent sounding and quite dynamic and energetic but not unnaturally so. Everything sounds so life like and natural, specially how the soundstage is represented. The separation, layering and staging of elements is quite pleasing. All in all if you can put up with the less than ideal dimensions, you are getting one heck of a DAP. 

I greatly appreciate the simplicity of the M1S UI and navigation as most screens are but one or two clicks away. The buttons are quite responsive and the whole thing is intuitive. I exclusively use it in folder more as all the music I have purchased in WAV/FLAC format lack ID3 tagging (damn). 

This is the sound I was looking for. Thanks for your input. BTW, the Cowon PD has razor sharp edges. It didn't bother me that much. 

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #203 of 1,991

nice post bro! now our best sounding "remote" got a silicon casing~

deadhorse.gif

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #204 of 1,991
It looks sexy in that cond... rubber... em... case :D Does it solve issue with sharp edges?

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #205 of 1,991

:deadhorse:

That case looks excellent

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #206 of 1,991

deadhorse.gif

Looks sweet :) and thanks!

It looks sexy in that cond... rubber... em... case
biggrin.gif
Does it solve issue with sharp edges?

I should mention that Aune has mentioned that the sharp corners will be addressed for retail release so it might be isolated to engineering units.

That case looks excellent

I agree, I hope it comes in other colors as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back