Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP with ESS9018KM + 2.5mm Balanced Out)
Aug 25, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #1,711 of 1,991
My point is that I don't believe a IEM's need an amp with the M1s, so why add one?

Iirc the line out on the M1s is around 2Vrms, which is industry standard so I don't see why they would change that.

Getting a DAP with really low line out power just to be able to add a amp that's not really needed doesn't make sense to me but that's just me........

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #1,712 of 1,991
My point is that I don't believe a IEM's need an amp with the M1s, so why add one?

Iirc the line out on the M1s is around 2Vrms, which is industry standard so I don't see why they would change that.

Getting a DAP with really low line out power just to be able to add a amp that's not really needed doesn't make sense to me but that's just me........

Once again, I will agree with your statement....... well there are two reasons for me to go with my current setup. Firstly, if you noticed that I had asked headfiers from different thread regarding ways to avoid using button to change volume, instead having a physical rotational potentiometer that does the job because I have an odd kind of sensation........ Secondly, I found that Aune M1s excells at imaging but sucks at its sound stage........ so after many hours of research I found out that an amp can also solve this problem of mine and indeed Cayin C5 did, but not at a margin level.......... Those were my weird request that I made in the past.

Aug 25, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #1,713 of 1,991
I'd recommend Onkyo DP-X1 as an upgrade to M1s. You could even get a used unit for less than $500. It has 2,5-mm balanced, with ACG technology (reducing noise). Boots quicker than X5 III. A stable, and fast Android UI (5, Lollipop). The 3,5-mm output can get loose after a while, but it's fine with me since there's still some bite/grip. The DP-X1A doesn't have this issue though. Battery is good, around 16 hours. And the design looks nice.

My Aune M1s has a battery problem now, it drops automatically and slowly when not being used. IDK how to solve this. Will probably give it away to a friend.

For sound, I like the Nuansa P1 better than DP-X1, or M1s. The DP-X1 IMO sounds better, and cleaner than M1s. But the P1 sounds more natural than them all.
I've been waiting for a comparison between the Aune m1s and the nuansa p1! Thank you, this will probably be my next dap...

Aug 26, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #1,719 of 1,991
Synergy means them together become greater than the sum of them alone. m1s could bring best out of the Etymotic and so would the Etymotic with m1s. 1+1=2.5 or 3.. something like that.
Sooo is it a good match? :p

I see. Hmm, in my opinion, Aune M1s has a very full and lush kind of sound after burning in when compared to my Zishan......... I don't think it is a perfect match for me because Etymotic HF5 despite having good treble (no extension with filter), its mids is quite disturbingly arrogant........ this made it sounds rather soft and looks kind of pale........ but things are different when you remove its filter....... the treble is now dominant, there are more sparkles, like icing on cake which makes it more delicious....... however you might not like it because there is sibilance.......... overall I prefer the filter to be removed because it only dampens the higher end frequency......... ohh as for lows.......... it is quite shy as per usual.......... dry and cold sounding......... I had lost my interest in this kind of signature after discovering QDC 8BA CIEM..........

Aug 26, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #1,720 of 1,991
Funny how different we all hear things, "very full and lush" are not exactly how I'd describe the M1s. This hobby is indeed fascinating.....

Aug 26, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #1,723 of 1,991
Well indeed, my description is just a relative comparison of Aune M1s and Zishan family......... it will be a different story when it is compared to Sony NW-WM1A.

Thanks for clarifying, I never really liked the Zishan (I prefer the Walnut) so haven't compared the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back