Aune M1, powerful WAV player
Jun 9, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #61 of 95
Just wondering if anyone can advise how to update firmware on this player.
I tried to follow web site instructions and Copied the hex file to sd card and started player holding stop button and the version of firmware is displayed but does not update. Has anyone else updated and if so what is the correct way ?? Currently on version 2.4 and wanted to go to 2.8 or 3.0

Jun 9, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #63 of 95
Firmware is on www.auneaudio.com under service and support , click on the picture of the m1 to go to m1 support screen and is on download option for version 2.8 and 3.0
Under service and support menu help centre has brief instructions on firmware upgrade

Jun 9, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #64 of 95
Seems the update can also be done remotely from PC as the download comes with USB drivers and a MCUISP firmware updater application. But the USB drivers don't work for me as it comes up with an error, so I can't try the update for now.

Jun 9, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #65 of 95
Only version 3 comes with drivers -version 2.8 only has the hex file in the download
I had emailed for clarification but no response

Jun 17, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #66 of 95
Well having spent a few weeks with this player i thought i would give an overview of what i think,in case other people are thinking of buying this player.
I thought I would do this by doing a  comparison with the shozy alien which was selling for the same price and most likely targeting a similar market

In terms of build quality both of these players are very well constructed and very solid - the Aune M1 feels like a solid brick while the alien is more refined and much thinner - surprisingly there is taking away the volume pot on the M1 the length and width is not to different just the alien is so slim- my first impressions were the more favorable toward the alien
The next step was to put some music on - both players require pre loaded SD or micro sd cards and will not connect as a drive on a computer - no big deal except both players are a little bit fussy on the capacity , type and brand of card used
The A1 will not accept class 10 cards and will only accept class 4 or 6 from my experiments while the alien accepted any class but did not like some toshiba class 10 cards i had
Both players experienced glitches with some WAV files - in the case of the M1 the player locks and will not respond while the alien can be forwarded to the next song
The largest frustration however was getting an SD card of music that would be accepted by the M1 as even though i was using wav files converted from flac using the same program, the odd one must have converted with something the A1 did not like - i often had 24gb of music that would play and add some more files and it would lock up - which would require deleting and adding album at a time to find out what was causing the problem - however i persevered with this until i had 3 x 32gb cards loaded with music that played on both players - the alien being the easier to get organised
Next a discovered both players appear to have a 99 file limit in one folder for which the shuffle function works on - and it will not shuffle files past this point even though playing non shuffle mode will play more
The shuffle for the A1 will only work within the folder you are playing from while the alien shuffle functions goes across folders which for me makes the alien a winner in this area
Both players did not like sub folders from my experience
In terms of navigation the alien is limited and while i have had this player for many months i still find it a bit frustrating to get to the folder i want or get the player to go into shuffle mode - the M1 has a very basic interface but you can easily go through a folder and find a song or album you are looking for so this is an advantage of the M1 over the alien
In terms of power the Aune can drive much higher impedance headphones than the alien - for example using a pair of AKG K612 the M1 was able to drive these better than the alien
In terms of battery life the M1 so far has lasted 9-10 hours average while the alien was getting 6-8 hours but the M1 takes much longer to charge
Both players have no line out function for amp so i tried both using the HO to a cayin c5 and fiio E12 - to be honest both players seemed to sound worse when doing this ??
However in the end it comes down to how they both sound - before getting the M1 the alien was my go to portable player for sound quality and i rated this on par or better than my Shanling M3 or Hidzs AP100 for sound quality / enjoyment - now I am not so sure - The M1 sounds very very good and in particular for full size headphones like the K612 and K550 by AKG or my ultrasone 2500pro they have a really great sound -and the M1 produced the best bass response from the K550 than any other player i have unamped
Both of these players are now discontinued so it is likely they will only be found second hand in the near future as clearance stocks run out - however if you like the alien you may well be impressed by this player as well
I did note however it when i first played a song on the M1 it did not sound very good and i left playing until battery ran out and after 8 hours approx the sound appeared to have significantly improved

So do I have a strong preference - no - both sound different , both sound great and both have their strengths and weaknesses and both can invoke a love hate relationship - However as i listen most of the time to music in shuffle mode the Alien is probably the preference
If you are prepared to sacrifice the limitations of the players in terms of interface, file type support, capacity and ease of use they are both a great option for a second player to have very good sound that is on par with far more expensive players

Jul 14, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #67 of 95
Maybe im interessted in this DAP cause i mainly have CD ripps.

Is the Sound more laid back or direct? DX90 sounds good to me, but its too direct for my taste.  AK 100 first was very digital sounding and too laid back...

Or do i better go with Hidisz Ap1000?

Will Aune M1 match well with b&w P7 or Oppo pm3?

Jul 15, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #68 of 95
I'd say M1 is more on the direct sounding side, maybe even more direct than DX90. Btw my class 10 cards work, although the M1 does have quirks, doesn't read some files for some reason etc.

Jul 15, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #69 of 95
  I'd say M1 is more on the direct sounding side, maybe even more direct than DX90.

Okay, thanxs for your answer...
frown.gif

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #75 of 95
Guys I managed to update firmware to V3.0. Sound did improve quite a bit, sound stage is more open, sound is less direct and more expansive, balance has improved. I'm actually glad I have this little dap, I sold DX90 but I ain't selling this, heh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back