Aune M1, powerful WAV player
Oct 6, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #91 of 95
  Didn't know the choir board had a line out instead of coax (which I rarely use; was hard to tell exact specs from the translation). Now I'd prefer it but may be difficult to find since that listing is no good.

Figured double amping wasn't helping but no other option with the Jr. (its line out mode just maxes the volume). True line out was another feature I was looking for but Wolfson daps are fewer and fewer nowadays.

Only dap I found with both the WM8741 and line out is the Hum Pervasion. But it lacks nav buttons, is more like a standard Android device (more bloat), and would be twice the cost of the M1+choir board. Hard to resist the M1 since I can't afford the Tera Player (though M1 has a screen to better navigate) but the Hum may be a better choice. Might be able to run Poweramp Alpha and stream to it (assuming other apps can access the Wolfson chip).

If you find somewhere to buy the Choir board let me know, I don't think you'll have much luck though.

I own the Hum, it definitely does the WM8741 proud, excellent sound, worth the price imo, maybe hunt around for second hand. The Hum interface is imo miles better to use than M1, it's going to take longer to get where you want with buttons vs touch screen, and you see a lot more info/songs on the bigger screen of Hum, and sort music any which way rather than just by folder in M1. Plus stock M1 rolls of bass, and has channel imbalance at low volumes, Hum does neither. Hum is my most used dap, wins award for most versatile and enjoyable sound.

Oct 6, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #93 of 95
I forgot you wanted to primarily use line out, the Hum's line out is dead neutral due to it's reference level implementation of the WM8741 with LME49720, Evox PFR, Nichicon KA, while it's amp has a lusher sound thanks to TL072 warming things up. So good thing you have a hybrid amp, the Hum's line out definitely needs a bit of warming and lushing up.

Oct 6, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #94 of 95
Still plan to seek out the Hum but I went ahead and ordered the M1. Only $128 on Amazon plus I had some trade credit.

For the price, couldn't resist build/sound quality, speed, simplicity, and power (guess I really miss my Type R). With 700mW Class A? power I shouldn't need the amp. Will be nice not having to stack and I should be able to do without tubes on occasion.

Still have about 40gb of my original 16/44 wav files and will just convert (or re-rip) the newer stuff. M1 also has roughly the same dimensions and should fit my old Creative Zen protective case.

Oct 6, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #95 of 95
I also looked at the M2 and the upcoming M1S.

M2 can handle more formats but it's not as simplistic as the M1. Feel like the M1's simplicity is either a strong point or a deal breaker depending on the person. M2 is also 2x more expensive and I'm not yet a fan of the AKM chips. BB dacs (imo) are ok as I have a sound card and amp that uses them.

Only info so far about the M1S is that it will use the ES9018K2M chip. ESS still isn't my first choice; still have 2 daps with 9018 chips (Pono player would have made it 3 but I got rid of it despite the great sound quality; gotta have folder support).

EDIT: I know implementation is key but I've found that each chip's character sound signature still comes through in the end. Imo, ESS sounds a little bright, AKM sounds harsh at times, and BB sounds fairly neutral. Also (imo), despite often subtle differences, they can all sound very detailed with the right amp and headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back