Auditioned Beyer's 770 Pro today. Better than AT's AD700... what about the 880?
Sep 4, 2010 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

FliGuyRyan

Head-Fier
I know, I know... you're thinking, "They're totally different!" 

Well, yes they are. And I liked the 770 a lot better because it actually had some bass. Now I did miss the airy, peppy soundstage of the AD700, so... here is my question:

[size=medium]

As I'm sitting here typing, with the AD700 sitting on my desk looking at me and I'm just shaking my head because their bass just sucks. I'm not a bass-head, but dang... it's just not up my alley because I come from listening to the Monster Turbine Pro Copper/FiiO E5 which is nothing short of an amazing duo (for the $20 FiiO especially). 

Now, before you tell me to look "elsewhere" for more bass, please explain WHERE I would look? I just auditioned the AT M50s (was a little muddy, and highs suffered), Beyer 770 (less boomy, more natural and great neutral feel to them - awesome) and Shure 840 (didn't like the Shure at all) today and LOVED the 770 for it's accurate sound, decent soundstage and overall the great bass - but I'm afraid of losing the melodic demeanor of the AD700. I could tell I was listening to closed cans per se. I still liked them, but I would like a more open feel - read on...

Can anyone tell me more about the 880 or the 990 and how they compare to the AD700, AD900 and A900? I just want bass that I can feel but the sound from the AD700 (or better). Is this too much to ask - don't answer that!

I would like to try the AD900, but would the A900 suit me better? And if so, does the Beyer 770, 880 and 990 give the A900 a run for its money? I won't be using a quality amp so the ohms are to remain low (none of this 600 stuff) for awhile. Do the Beyer's 80 and 250 ohm models REALLY need amping?

Please clarify this muddy (sound)land I find myself in. 

Thanks,
-Ryan

P.S. What is the difference with Beyer's different lines, like the Pro and the Edition, etc... ohms, headbands... ?

[/size]

Sep 4, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 4
The A900 will give you the same closed-can feeling the DT770 gives. Actually the A900 is a step down from the DT770 IMO. So no it's not for you.

Beyer 250 ohm models do need amping, but you can get away with a small amp even the FiiO E5 can drive a Beyer 250 adequately. 

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #3 of 4
Mochan,

Quote:
The A900 will give you the same closed-can feeling the DT770 gives. Actually the A900 is a step down from the DT770 IMO. So no it's not for you.

Beyer 250 ohm models do need amping, but you can get away with a small amp even the FiiO E5 can drive a Beyer 250 adequately. 

That is good to hear and confirms what I was thinking. I do not think the AD900 will provide enough slam and volume of bass. I really think the 880 semi-open design is the best route to go although, why does the 990 provide more bass when it is open back? This... I do not understand. It's good to know though the 250 ohm are not that difficult to drive. I will probably pick up a better amp along the way - maybe a FiiO E7 or something just a little larger than the E5. From what I've been reading on the forum, the used section of the forum seems to be a good place to pick up some premium gear without the price. 

Any other opinions are appreciated... especially about the Beyer line. M50 is out, so is the AT AD700 and the Shure SRH 840 - all of which I've auditioned. Again, I loved the Beyer 770, but would like a more open feel. Does the 880 and 990 deliver on this, and provide more bass?

Thanks again!
-Ryan

Sep 4, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 4
Open back designs don't mean it won't have bass. Closed enclosures have a certain advantage in recreating bass but isn't the be-all end all when it comes to bass. The drivers themselves have a lot to do with it, and inbass reproduction porting is a common practice in sub wooferdesign to creat bass, and that is similar in concept to an open back design. Moving air makes bass so open designs can produce bass. In fact, if you closed the back of a Grado (try it -- cup your hands over your Grado) you lose ALL the bass.

DT990 might be why you are looking for. I haven't heard it per se but it's apparently like an open back DT770 or a bassy DT880. The diff by the way between Beyer models is a lot to tackle but in a nutshell the pro models are totally different from non pro models (770 pro is a bassier version of the non-pro) and looks differet altogether. The different ohm versions just raise the impedance and this can make the sound better -- less distortion etc but requires a powerful system behind it.

Regarding the E7, I don't really recommend the E7 as an upgrade to the E5. As portables go, if you want something of a real upgrade to the E5 might as well get something more powerful like a Mini^3 or a GoVibe Magnum. But you really should be getting a real desktop amp. Something simple like a Littledot MkII would be good, and those can be had for about $100. 

Another option you might want to check out is the Senn HD650. This is the can that replaced the DT770 in my lineup. It's not a perfect upgrade over the DT770 -- it does quite a few things differently and not "better" but overall it was a huge upgrade over the DT770. It also keeps that bass whallop while providing that oh-so-important open can feeling. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back