Audiotex - Anybody know ´em?
Jun 4, 2011 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

trondareo

New Head-Fier
Hi,
My first post here. I have been lurking for a year and been active over on DIYAudio. My daily headphones at work are Grado 60i and Yamaha HP-2, at home I want something really nice, but haven´t landed any yet. But on to the question:

I bought a Audiotex headphone on Ebay, which will arrive in a few weeks. It was a case of love at first sight. They are the most brutal pair of cans I have ever seen!. I have no idea, and no hopes, of great sound or any kind of comfort. But I am curious whether anybody has experience with them.

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 35
They seem to be paper-cone drivered headphones from the 70's/80's. Probably won't sound that great, but who knows?

Jun 5, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #7 of 35
I´ll tell you all about them as soon as they are out of the box.
The only thing I have found out are that they are Japanese, And by the styling probably 1970´s
For now we can only speculate and hope Norwegian customs are faster than usual (unlikely) I´ve had stuff take  2 weeks in customs.
blink.gif

Jun 30, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 35
BUMP BUMP

Apparently these things aren't a one-of-a-kind. A reported sighting by another head-fi'er:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/560712/can-anyone-tell-me-what-these-are
(it gives no name but comparing pictures made it obvious that they're the same)

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #10 of 35
Ok, everybody, time for a detailed rundown on these phones, and sorry for the delay, they did´nt make it through the mail before i left for a vacation.

Full Text on the badge: Audiotex Cat.No 30 5707, Japan
Weight 580 grams, Appear to be single driver. They have well padded headband and ear pads. There is little if any damping in the cans (a valid term here). Any slight movement of the headphones against the head or pulling of the cord i resonates in the cans. They are a closed design. Sound has prominent mids, No bass what so ever and some highs.
I´ll post more photos and see about disasembly in coming posts

Here they are on my daughter to give a sense of the size.

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #11 of 35
Are they a paper cone affair? And is that leather on the cups?

In before inevitable daughter comments (Even though she can't be older than 12 right?). xD

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #12 of 35

Quote:
Are they a paper cone affair? And is that leather on the backs?

In before inevitable daughter comments (Even though she can't be older than 12 right?). xD

To me she looks 18... but it's probably because I'm Asian 0.0

ANYWAY, any sound impressions?

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #13 of 35

Quote:

To me she looks 18... but it's probably because I'm Asian 0.0

ANYWAY, any sound impressions?

Haha I am too, and she looks my sister's age. Actually, she looks like a girl I used to take Tae Kwon Do with...

And he said they sound like the typical 70's cans--all mids, no lows, and meh highs. Darn, I was hoping they'd be awesome. How much do they respond to EQ?

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #14 of 35
A picture comparing the Audiotex  headphones to a Pioneer SE-L40, which is an average size headphone. (no Photoshoping!)

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #15 of 35
Oh my gosh. You could fit them in the Audiotexes.

And wow nice score on the mint L40's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back