AUDIOSENSE in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Nov 11, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #4,876 of 5,890
Hi guys, another impressed owner of T800 here. Although the sibilance always reminds me that I wish them gone. Thus I need your advice on what is the effective way to curb this issue and make the iem less shouty.
Here is the priority of what I prefer to do to remedy this issue, let me here our opinions :

- Get a copper cable, what do you think is my best bet: single crystal / ofc / occ / upooc , number of core (under 40$). Eg: Linsoul LSC08
- Get better eartips: sedna earfit or SpinFit CP360
- Finally get some damper from aliexpress, which I'm not really want to just because they takes forever and I already has 2 unresolved missing packages.

Today 11/11 hope you can help me capitalise on this :beyersmile:

Cables are the last area I will go to for sonic changes, u get more mileage with the other options like ear tips, sources and knowles filters. I know not everyone is a cable believer, but FWIW I do find that pure copper cables do tame the treble a bit for me on the T800, I use 8/16 core copper cables from NiceHCK. Perhaps it is cause the T800 has so low impedance (9ish ohms) that any small amount of changes in resistance in the cable can cause sonic changes, not sure, but it does sound less bright than the stock SPC the T800 came with. I have not measured the resistances in the stock cable, but perhaps @RikudouGoku can do so.

I find knowles filters/dampers are the biggest sound changers, followed by eartips (for me it will be foam or narrow bore silicone tips that lower treble on the T800) and warmer source. YMMV as we all hear differently and have different ear anatomies in the case of the eartips in particular.

One other option is to play music at softer volumes, due to the Fletcher Munson curve. At louder volumes, music is perceived to be more V shaped ie more bass and treble, whereas it is perceived to be more U shaped at softer volumes.

Nov 11, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #4,877 of 5,890
Cables are the last area I will go to for sonic changes, u get more mileage with the other options like ear tips, sources and knowles filters. I know not everyone is a cable believer, but FWIW I do find that pure copper cables do tame the treble a bit for me on the T800, I use 8/16 core copper cables from NiceHCK. Perhaps it is cause the T800 has so low impedance (9ish ohms) that any small amount of changes in resistance in the cable can cause sonic changes, not sure, but it does sound less bright than the stock SPC the T800 came with. I have not measured the resistances in the stock cable, but perhaps @RikudouGoku can do so.

I find knowles filters/dampers are the biggest sound changers, followed by eartips (for me it will be foam or narrow bore silicone tips that lower treble on the T800) and warmer source. YMMV as we all hear differently and have different ear anatomies in the case of the eartips in particular.

One other option is to play music at softer volumes, due to the Fletcher Munson curve. At louder volumes, music is perceived to be more V shaped ie more bass and treble, whereas it is perceived to be more U shaped at softer volumes.
The tingker TK200 cable is at 0.36 ohms and that should be the same or similar to the T800 cable.

Nov 11, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #4,879 of 5,890

Thank you for the detailed reply, I learned a couple of things from that!
After scourging my room a bit I found some original IT01 tips, is any of these narrow bore ? I will spend some times later to test them out.
About your cable, do you hear significant tame for the high freq or just something slightly.

Lastly what about EQ? My DAP has both graphic EQ and Parametric EQ, what adjustment should I aim for the remedy? I also has Neutralizer (android app) so that it also help when I use my device as DAC or for Tidal as well.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #4,880 of 5,890
After scourging my room a bit I found some original IT01 tips, is any of these narrow bore ? I will spend some times later to test them out.
About your cable, do you hear significant tame for the high freq or just something slightly.

Lastly what about EQ? My DAP has both graphic EQ and Parametric EQ, what adjustment should I aim for the remedy? I also has Neutralizer (android app) so that it also help when I use my device as DAC or for Tidal as well.
Use PEQ and lower the treble according to what you hear using this as a reference:
graph (38).png

Nov 11, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #4,881 of 5,890
About your cable, do you hear significant tame fore the high freq or just something slightly.

For cables on the T800, it is very subtle to lower the treble frequencies. Not a light and day difference. But of course not everyone believes in cables, and it is a very controversial topic here, so I guess best option is u try it for yourself and see if u do hear any changes.

Not sure about IT01 tips as I don't have the IT01. Have u tried foam tips, they generally lower the treble frequencies.

For EQ, that's an option too yes. Generally I try to tame frequencies rather than boost, and not more than 3 dB, as some drivers may distort with overly robust EQ. If u find sibilance as per your OP, u can try EQing around the 8 kHz region down. It is quite common to mix up the upper mids harshness with treble harshness actually, so do use PEQ as @RikudouGoku says, to target area by area to see where the offending frequencies are.

Nov 11, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #4,882 of 5,890
For cables on the T800, it is very subtle to lower the treble frequencies. Not a light and day difference. But of course not everyone believes in cables, and it is a very controversial topic here, so I guess best option is u try it for yourself and see if u do hear any changes.

Not sure about IT01 tips as I don't have the IT01. Have u tried foam tips, they generally lower the treble frequencies.

For EQ, that's an option too yes. Generally I try to tame frequencies rather than boost, and not more than 3 dB, as some drivers may distort with overly robust EQ. If u find sibilance as per your OP, u can try EQing around the 8 kHz region down. It is quite common to mix up the upper mids harshness with treble harshness actually, so do use PEQ as @RikudouGoku says, to target area by area to see where the offending frequencies are.
If you use EQ well I say it doesnt actually clip that much (unless you are boosting the bass with 10 db or something lol). All you need to do is apply the boost value in reverse for the preamp. So say you boost the bass by 5 db, you need to reduce the preamp by -5db. That helps with keeping the quality as it is a lot.

(Altough I havent noticed the need to do that, if I only boost the treble.)

Nov 11, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #4,883 of 5,890
If you use EQ well I say it doesnt actually clip that much (unless you are boosting the bass with 10 db or something lol). All you need to do is apply the boost value in reverse for the preamp. So say you boost the bass by 5 db, you need to reduce the preamp by -5db. That helps with keeping the quality as it is a lot.

(Altough I havent noticed the need to do that, if I only boost the treble.)

Some drivers can't take EQ too well e.g. blon bl05s distorts. Others like urbanfun can take a lot of EQ, not sure if it the driver material, like beryllium in the urbanfun?

Nov 11, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #4,884 of 5,890
Some drivers can't take EQ too well e.g. blon bl05s distorts. Others like urbanfun can take a lot of EQ, not sure if it the driver material, like beryllium in the urbanfun?
That is also another factor to consider, some drivers take eq like a champ while some dont respond well at all and starts to drop in quality after just 2 db bass boost lol.

Beryllium should be one of the materials that can handle eq well.

@Music225 If you are interested, I might try to make an EQ preset for my T800 (without mods) as I also find it way too sibilant for me to use it.

Nov 11, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #4,885 of 5,890
That is also another factor to consider, some drivers take eq like a champ while some dont respond well at all and starts to drop in quality after just 2 db bass boost lol.

Beryllium should be one of the materials that can handle eq well.

@Music225 If you are interested, I might try to make an EQ preset for my T800 (without mods) as I also find it way too sibilant for me to use it.

Yes, please, kind sir, I basically would have little clue of what to do with EQ to make it enjoyable and correct. The lingering psshh, tss sound just suck out quite a bit of the entire enjoyment I should be getting from this quality IEM

Nov 11, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #4,887 of 5,890
Yes, please, kind sir, I basically would have little clue of what to do with EQ to make it enjoyable and correct. The lingering psshh, tss sound just suck out quite a bit of the entire enjoyment I should be getting from this quality IEM
The thing is a lot of audiophiles love this kind of freq tuning. You are obviously extremely treble sensitive.. which a lot of people are not.

I suggest jumping on the Short Bus!

Nov 11, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #4,888 of 5,890

this is absolutely untrue. You are experiencing your device failing to leave enough headroom for EQ to work correctly. The idea an IEM cannot replay say 5+more DB at a frequency is impossible.

If a device does this, you should eq things DOWN not up. This leaves headroom.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #4,889 of 5,890
Here it is (using the neutron player):

low-shelf: 80hz, Q: 0.6, gain: 6.5db
low-shelf: 150hz, Q: 1.0, gain: -5.0db
peak eq: 2500hz, Q: 2.7, gain: -1.5db
peak eq: 3600hz, Q:2.0, gain: -4.0db
peak eq: 6500hz, Q:2.4, gain: 2.0db
peak eq: 8000hz, Q: 2.5, gain: -2.0db
high-shelf: 9000hz, Q:1.0, gain: -3.0db
preamp: -5db

The first 2 low-shelf bands are making the bass cleaner. But not directly affecting the sibilance reduction.

Nov 11, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #4,890 of 5,890
Might be useful:

20Hz to 80Hz: Sub-bass
80Hz to 200Hz: Mid-bass
200Hz to 800Hz: Lower midrange
800Hz to 1,500Hz: Centre midrange
1,500Hz to 5,000Hz: Upper midrange
5,000Hz to 10,000Hz: Treble
10,000Hz+: Upper treble/”air”

For me the harshness in the T800 comes from the upper midrange (mostly around 3-4k)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back