AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Nov 9, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #1,982 of 2,529
Nov 17, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #1,985 of 2,529
I just got some Nighthawk Carbons last week and am in love with them to the point where I have a hard time taking them off. Sometimes my wife shares the office and she complains about the sound leakage from the Hawks. So I ordered a set of the Owls, which I should have by Friday. I've read most of the comparisons, but I'm curious to see how they compare, as I believe the AQ sound is quite hard to put into words. And hoping they isolate well enough to keep my wife off my back.

Anyone who has auditioned the TH-900 and Nightowls care to elaborate in their experience?
What about the e-mu teaks? I believe these are based on the same platform as the TH-900s, but are preferred over the 900s by Tyll and other reviewers, and cost about half of the 900s. I have a set of the Teaks on order from the manufacturer, so will be able to compare directly when they arrive.

Nov 23, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #1,986 of 2,529
How long does the Aroma last? i have a set that have a few weeks use and they had a light smell. I bought and sold them as my head was too big but never thought it was so bad that i'd open a case against the seller.

I had a buyer take them and use them for two weeks and then open a paypal case against me over the smell even though they are like new. First time I have had any issue with a head-fi buyer.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #1,987 of 2,529
How long does the Aroma last? i have a set that have a few weeks use and they had a light smell. I bought and sold them as my head was too big but never thought it was so bad that i'd open a case against the seller.

I had a buyer take them and use them for two weeks and then open a paypal case against me over the smell even though they are like new. First time I have had any issue with a head-fi buyer.

why doesn’t he simply resell them on head fi and mention the smell? I might even pick them up... :nerd:

Nov 25, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #1,988 of 2,529
why doesn’t he simply resell them on head fi and mention the smell? I might even pick them up... :nerd:

I didn't think it was that bad and I never knew what it was but it was present. I have had really bad cans before that definitely were smoker owned. I can pm you his username if you want.

Nov 26, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #1,989 of 2,529
Actually that's my question too. I've used fresh NO for 2 weeks and they still smell like hell, which isn't a pleasant thing for me.

Is there a point in time where NO Carbon aroma recedes and becomes unnoticeable? Now I can feel them even when they lay 0.5m away on the bed, so it's not a mild scent, rather heavy one.

Nov 27, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #1,991 of 2,529
I’ve had mine (OG Wood version) for 4+ years, and they still have a mild vanilla-ish scent. I don’t think it ever fully dissipates. However, I’ve never found that scent as anything but pleasant TBH. The less you think about it, the less you notice it.

Sorry to hear about that @FireLion, buyer should have known better IMO. Not your fault.

Nov 27, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #1,994 of 2,529
I find the smell is unnoticeable if you place the headphones over you ears rather than one cup over your nose and the other on the back of your head. The sound is significantly improved, too.
I prefer to wear them over my ears, but with the headband in front of face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back