AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Dec 4, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #2,011 of 2,509
Are there any headphones in sub-500$ category that share (or are close to) core characteristics of Nightowls, i.e.:
- closed
- comfortable
- spacious sounding
- non-fatiguing treble, dark but resolving
- easy to drive?

Perhaps Ollo-headphones?

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ollo-audio-s4.23307/reviews

I had my buddies S4 for a while and I thought they were pretty good. Maybe quite not as "fun" sounding as Nightowls but perhaps a good "neutral"-alternative for them.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #2,012 of 2,509
Perhaps Ollo-headphones?

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ollo-audio-s4.23307/reviews

I had my buddies S4 for a while and I thought they were pretty good. Maybe quite not as "fun" sounding as Nightowls but perhaps a good "neutral"-alternative for them.
Why you gotta go and do that? I told myself I was done buying cans for a bit. I like how the 1st reviewer compares to the 99 Classics and 660s - my two favorites. Dang it. I only read the 1st review.. Doesn't sound a whole lot like the NightOwl. Off to read the rest.

Dec 4, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #2,013 of 2,509
Why you gotta go and do that? I told myself I was done buying cans for a bit. I like how the 1st reviewer compares to the 99 Classics and 660s - my two favorites. Dang it. I only read the 1st review.. Doesn't sound a whole lot like the NightOwl. Off to read the rest.

I dont know, they just jumped on my mind... I had similar feelings when I listened Ollos and Owls first time, I thought they sounded very dark and muffled at first but after listening for a while and getting used to the sound I started to like it. Im not saying that they are anything like Nightowls overall but I think that they might be a good choice if you want something similarly "dark" but with more neutral and transparent presentation... Or I dont know, maybe I just remember them completely wrong. :p

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #2,014 of 2,509
I dont know, they just jumped on my mind... I had similar feelings when I listened Ollos and Owls first time, I thought they sounded very dark and muffled at first but after listening for a while and getting used to the sound I started to like it. Im not saying that they are anything like Nightowls overall but I think that they might be a good choice if you want something similarly "dark" but with more neutral and transparent presentation... Or I dont know, maybe I just remember completely wrong. :p
If they're close to being as dark as the Owls, it's a no go for me. I'd prefer something along the lines of the 600 series, with a little more bite and edge.

Dec 4, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #2,015 of 2,509
If they're close to being as dark as the Owls, it's a no go for me. I'd prefer something along the lines of the 600 series, with a little more bite and edge.

Give the Audeze LCD-MX4 a listen if you get the chance. Neutral but with great impact. Can be found for around $1500 on Black Friday (this year, but B stock) or Christmas deals (last year, brand brand new).

Dec 13, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #2,016 of 2,509
Wohooooo, got a new pair of NOs for just 280€ (a bout 300 USD) :heart_eyes: They should complement my Fostex TR-x00 Ebony and Hifiman He-500 in a perfect way, as i don't have any real "laidback" signature after selling my LCD2C. I'm very curious testing these cans in the next days after burnin in.

Unfortunately, i dont't find any store that still sells the Hybrid Pads - i absolutely love hybrid pads in general, so i want them for my NOs too. Can someone give me a hint where i can still find these pads (shipping to eu/germany). After searching a long time with no result, i'm quite desperate :cold_sweat:

Dec 13, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #2,017 of 2,509
Wohooooo, got a new pair of NOs for just 280€ (a bout 300 USD) :heart_eyes: They should complement my Fostex TR-x00 Ebony and Hifiman He-500 in a perfect way, as i don't have any real "laidback" signature after selling my LCD2C. I'm very curious testing these cans in the next days after burnin in.

Unfortunately, i dont't find any store that still sells the Hybrid Pads - i absolutely love hybrid pads in general, so i want them for my NOs too. Can someone give me a hint where i can still find these pads (shipping to eu/germany). After searching a long time with no result, i'm quite desperate :cold_sweat:

As mentioned a few times before, the hybrid pads are forever gone. Discontinued. The last known sale took place this spring from some Dutch audio store. :)

I have two packs unopened, if anyone wants to make me a super interesting offer. (half-kidding - I quite like them too)

Dec 13, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #2,018 of 2,509
Sorry - i spent almost 3-4 hours reading this thread - but finally gave up so i didn't see that info. Mea culpa! :no_mouth:

What a pity - seems like the only way to get these pads is buying a used 1st Gen. Nighthawk.... Or break into your house, CaptainFantastic :smile:

Dec 13, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #2,019 of 2,509
Sorry - i spent almost 3-4 hours reading this thread - but finally gave up so i didn't see that info. Mea culpa! :no_mouth:

What a pity - seems like the only way to get these pads is buying a used 1st Gen. Nighthawk.... Or break into your house, CaptainFantastic :smile:

I confirmed with a call to AQ. All sold out. I wonder if they could be talked into producing a run of replacement pads. It seems like there's a lot of interest. Maybe if we started a petition, or group buy request. Thoughts?

Dec 13, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #2,020 of 2,509
In my opinion the difference(s) between the protein leather pads and the microsuede ones aren't really that obvious, so I don't think you're going to miss the 'in between step'
With the protein leather the treble is still far from edgy or harsh, the only complaint I have is that they feel less comfortable than the microsuede one.

Dec 13, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #2,022 of 2,509
Dec 13, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #2,023 of 2,509
I just picked up a couple of new amps: Drop THX AAA 789 and Violectric HPA V200. Depending on the source, both are sounding really good with the NO. The V200 is more thick & chewy, while still maintaining plenty of detail & precision. The mid-bass growl & punch with electric bass is particularly pleasing. Mids are lush without becoming syrupy. Highs have enough detail for me, but detail freaks might consider it veiled. The soundstage is intact, but not as spacious & airy as the THX, where the instruments float around your head with a vivid resonance. The THX is delightful in the upper mids & treble. Bass is dyer, and has more low frequency traction, but lacks the mid-bass of the V200. Listening to Gary Willis' fretless bass, the V200 accentuates that nice buzzy growl, while the THX anchors the lower frequencies better. I really like them both in different ways with this headphone. The NH was another story - I commented in that forum.

Dec 14, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #2,024 of 2,509
In my opinion the difference(s) between the protein leather pads and the microsuede ones aren't really that obvious, so I don't think you're going to miss the 'in between step'
With the protein leather the treble is still far from edgy or harsh, the only complaint I have is that they feel less comfortable than the microsuede one.

I know what u mean - but when i heard the owls at a friend, i liked the suede MUCH more than the pleather - but was missing a bit of bass to be honest. I don't like EQing that much, so the hybrids would be the best choice for me, i think :-/

That being said - i think also the other standard pads will be out of stock any time soon which is very sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back