1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by xero1, Aug 14, 2016.
First

Back
123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132
134 135
Next

Last
  1. Malmbak
    So, I ended up with a Cayin tube amp. Investigating new tubes to really get of the ground. Thank you for your replies.

I’m looking for a good longer cable for the Nightowl. $100 max. Any recommendations?

Thanks

2. phthora
  3. CaptainFantastic
    Or go with Periapt cables for under $100.

4. Malmbak
    Thanks. Just what I needed

5. funkle II
    I just got some Nighthawk Carbons last week and am in love with them to the point where I have a hard time taking them off. Sometimes my wife shares the office and she complains about the sound leakage from the Hawks. So I ordered a set of the Owls, which I should have by Friday. I've read most of the comparisons, but I'm curious to see how they compare, as I believe the AQ sound is quite hard to put into words. And hoping they isolate well enough to keep my wife off my back.

What about the e-mu teaks? I believe these are based on the same platform as the TH-900s, but are preferred over the 900s by Tyll and other reviewers, and cost about half of the 900s. I have a set of the Teaks on order from the manufacturer, so will be able to compare directly when they arrive.

6. FireLion
    How long does the Aroma last? i have a set that have a few weeks use and they had a light smell. I bought and sold them as my head was too big but never thought it was so bad that i'd open a case against the seller.

I had a buyer take them and use them for two weeks and then open a paypal case against me over the smell even though they are like new. First time I have had any issue with a head-fi buyer.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  7. trellus
    why doesn’t he simply resell them on head fi and mention the smell? I might even pick them up... :nerd:

8. FireLion
    I didn't think it was that bad and I never knew what it was but it was present. I have had really bad cans before that definitely were smoker owned. I can pm you his username if you want.

9. dnac
    Actually that's my question too. I've used fresh NO for 2 weeks and they still smell like hell, which isn't a pleasant thing for me.

Is there a point in time where NO Carbon aroma recedes and becomes unnoticeable? Now I can feel them even when they lay 0.5m away on the bed, so it's not a mild scent, rather heavy one.

10. Mhog55
    Mine never had an odor, but it was an open box display unit that just sat in a glass case. So I'm assuming the smell should go away...eventually

11. Hi-Fi EDU
    I’ve had mine (OG Wood version) for 4+ years, and they still have a mild vanilla-ish scent. I don’t think it ever fully dissipates. However, I’ve never found that scent as anything but pleasant TBH. The less you think about it, the less you notice it.

Sorry to hear about that @FireLion, buyer should have known better IMO. Not your fault.

12. SteveOliver
    I got mine on the 21st October last year and the smell is still there. Its kept in the case when not in use so I bet that is a key factor.

13. waveSounds
    I find the smell is unnoticeable if you place the headphones over you ears rather than one cup over your nose and the other on the back of your head. The sound is significantly improved, too.

Bern2, Markolav, pilgrimbilly and 4 others like this.
  14. Mhog55
    I prefer to wear them over my ears, but with the headband in front of face.

15. atomd
    I think the cases smell stronger than the headphones. When they are out of the cases I don't notice it as much.

First

Back
123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132
134 135
Next

Last