AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Mar 1, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #1,576 of 2,529
Which ear pads do people like to use on them?

I like the suede pads over the protein leather ones. I feel like they smooth everything out more and the bass has better control. The mids come through a bit better as well.
I swap between suede and hybrid. The “boost” pads spike the treble too much for me.

Mar 2, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #1,578 of 2,529
I've never heard the hybrid. Between the pleather and suede, I prefer the suede ones and they're what I've been using for the past few months. I wish the hybrid pads were more readily available because I'd like to see how they compare.

Mar 2, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #1,579 of 2,529
I remember Tyll measuring the different pads and there was no significant difference. Well for me, the suede pads are more comfy than the protein leather ones.

Mar 2, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #1,583 of 2,529
Yup, I know I am in the minority but I also like the US pads! (I own Nighthawks not NO however)

I also just have the Nighthawk. I like the original hybrid pads the best but the suede is nice when the weather gets too warm.

Mar 3, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #1,584 of 2,529
Yup, I know I am in the minority but I also like the US pads! (I own Nighthawks not NO however)

To me the pleather pads have more a V-shaped sound signature, which isn't generally what I prefer. The US pads seem more neutral.

Mar 5, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #1,585 of 2,529
After a full week of just listening to the Nightowl I have to say it's a very good headphone especially for $400. They have the warm sound I love and have fixed the things I didn't like about the Nighthawk. I feel the micro-suede pads give you the best sound quality overall as it has better control of the bass and the highs also sound better imo.

Now, I do like the new cable but unlike the first one that was a bit to long this one is a bit to short, I feel like a 5ft cable would be perfect for me. I mean how many people are using these as a portable headphone, not many I would think.

Last thing is I can't believe that my LCD-2C sounds darker than the Nightowl. When I went to listen to them after using the Nightowl for so long they sounded quite dark and a bit dull in comparison which is something I did not expect. Still had a cleaner overall sound compared to the Nightowl but not as dynamic sounded as the owl.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #1,586 of 2,529
Last thing is I can't believe that my LCD-2C sounds darker than the Nightowl. When I went to listen to them after using the Nightowl for so long they sounded quite dark and a bit dull in comparison which is something I did not expect. Still had a cleaner overall sound compared to the Nightowl but not as dynamic sounded as the owl.

I had the lcd2c for a couple weeks and dull is how I describe the sound compared to the nightowl. Glad to have tried them at least, but there’s no way I’d recommend a $700 lcd2c over a $400 nightowl.

Mar 5, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #1,587 of 2,529
I had the lcd2c for a couple weeks and dull is how I describe the sound compared to the nightowl. Glad to have tried them at least, but there’s no way I’d recommend a $700 lcd2c over a $400 nightowl.

Even better, the NO can be purchased for well under $300 nowadays. Certainly understand your preference to the NO even if I don't personally agree with it. That's the beauty of this hobby.

Mar 5, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #1,588 of 2,529
Even better, the NO can be purchased for well under $300 nowadays. Certainly understand your preference to the NO even if I don't personally agree with it. That's the beauty of this hobby.

I have seen the NO a time or 2 for $299 on Amazon and open box for less, but 'well under $300'?

Is this for a new NO? I have not been watching the market very closely as I already own the NH and am on the fence for buying the NO. I'm sure I'll regret it when they are all sold out!

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #1,589 of 2,529
I have seen the NO a time or 2 for $299 on Amazon and open box for less, but 'well under $300'?

Is this for a new NO? I have not been watching the market very closely as I already own the NH and am on the fence for buying the NO. I'm sure I'll regret it when they are all sold out!
No, but you can buy my used NO for well under $300 in the classifieds if you would like :)

Mar 5, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #1,590 of 2,529

I had the LCD-2CB for one month and I would not describe it as dull at all (the closed back). The planar bass impact was there and has the edge over the Nightowl, but overall I prefer the Nightowl sound and let's not even discuss the difference in comfort between the two. I sold the LCD-2CB and I bought another Nightowl for work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back