AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Oct 26, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #721 of 2,529
Are you talking about the Nighthawk? or the Nightowl. Because the owl has a super short cable with a mic on it, and it doesn't leak much sound. I have them fairly loud and my gf doesn't notice it while they're on my head. When you take them off, it's quite audible, but while actually on your head there is minimal sound leakage. Are you sitting right next to your wife? she might be able to hear a tiny bit.

Nightowl.. whattt it’s definitely not super short, maybe I am just too short... :frowning2: but yea would love to get a much thinner cable, otherwise there is aleays a part of it just dangling there (as it’s too thick to stuff into the pocket)

Hm... interesting to find that your gf don’t really hear it... guess either my head is too small or I never got a good fit for a complete seal?

Oct 26, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #722 of 2,529
Nightowl.. whattt it’s definitely not super short, maybe I am just too short... :frowning2: but yea would love to get a much thinner cable, otherwise there is aleays a part of it just dangling there (as it’s too thick to stuff into the pocket)

Hm... interesting to find that your gf don’t really hear it... guess either my head is too small or I never got a good fit for a complete seal?

Search on ebay and amazon for sennheiser hd497 cables. The options will be thin and flexible and work well. Most are 1.2m some let you choose 1.8. You can also look for senn hd700 cables but the options will be more expensive..sometimes for the exact same thing

You can also go to the Nighthawk thread were we have been discussing this just this week. Some links there.

Oct 26, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #723 of 2,529

Yeah I'm also not using it for portable. The Nightowl cable is a bit thick to put in one's pocket for sure. To be honest I have no idea why they even bothered trying to make it portable with the mic in the cable. To me this is clearly not a portable headphone. And for those like you who might want to use it on the go, the default cable is simply too thick anyways. Odd choice.

Oct 26, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #724 of 2,529

lot of people have good exprience with Moon Audio Silver Dragons V3 or the Double Helix (wait time is 3 month for these tho). I personally had Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 on the Nighthawk originals and they did wonders for the headphones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 26, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #725 of 2,529
FOr porta
Yeah I'm also not using it for portable. The Nightowl cable is a bit thick to put in one's pocket for sure. To be honest I have no idea why they even bothered trying to make it portable with the mic in the cable. To me this is clearly not a portable headphone. And for those like you who might want to use it on the go, the default cable is simply too thick anyways. Odd choice.

I think people look in wrong direction for portability. To take on a trip sitting in a hotel or vacation where you have your own sitting space i think that is where headphone fits in. For walking around on the go devices IEM and DAP is better imo. I think headphone holds place in a room setting where you dont want to bother your family members listening to music late at night and maybe occasionally taking it outside when taking walks only. IEM and DAP is the only way for true portability imo.

Oct 26, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #726 of 2,529
IMG_3153.JPG
Just wondering if you guys have any good suggestions on cable for the nightowl? Getting annoyed and tired of using the long and thick cable that came with it when I am on the go...

Also, just wondering how you guys find nightowl’s sound leakage? I mean from what I read, almost all reviews say that it doesn’t leak sound, wont disturb others in work environment or library, but my wife always tell me that she can hear my music when I wear it at home...

I bought a Sol Republic Tracks replacement cable on Aliexpress. Cheap ( a few $ ) and durable for portable use. Im sure its on ebay or amazon also. Works really good.

Regards

Jan 18, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #727 of 2,529
May I ask why the MicroSuede pads get this much hate? I actually quite like them. They remove midbass, but boost subbass for me and everything is crystal clear, precise but musical at the same time. I wonder how the hybrid pads sound with the Nightowl!

On a sidenote, these headphones deserve so much more attention. Im really wondering why they are not more popular yet.

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #728 of 2,529
May I ask why the MicroSuede pads get this much hate? I actually quite like them. They remove midbass, but boost subbass for me and everything is crystal clear, precise but musical at the same time. I wonder how the hybrid pads sound with the Nightowl!

On a sidenote, these headphones deserve so much more attention. Im really wondering why they are not more popular yet.
The hybrid pads are amazing IMO. I've had them for about 6 months. I was a big fan of the original Nighthawk, but I wanted a closed back. The boost pads produced a treble signature I didn't like, and left an innatural sound to vocals and instruments, in my eyes. The hybrid pads bring that warm lush sound I remember from the original nighthawk. For me, it produces a wider, warmer soundstage with a more holographic type sound. Skylar knew what he was doing with the original hybrid pads. I feel like the boost pads we're made to quiet some of the criticisms of the original. People like added treble, but the hybrid pads are nearly perfect for me

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #729 of 2,529

The hybrid pads are amazing IMO. I've had them for about 6 months. I was a big fan of the original Nighthawk, but I wanted a closed back. The boost pads produced a treble signature I didn't like, and left an innatural sound to vocals and instruments, in my eyes. The hybrid pads bring that warm lush sound I remember from the original nighthawk. For me, it produces a wider, warmer soundstage with a more holographic type sound. Skylar knew what he was doing with the original hybrid pads. I feel like the boost pads we're made to quiet some of the criticisms of the original. People like added treble, but the hybrid pads are nearly perfect for me

I have the original wood Nighthawk which came with the hybrid pads. I love the sound with the both hybrid and the Microsuede pads. I am not good with detailed comparisons, but on the NH I feel like that the original magic with the hybrids. I do find the Microsuede slightly more comfortable especially in hotter weather.

I also have the one you are referring to as the boost pads but have never felt inclined to try them. I had received them and the Microsuede ones along with the short thick cable when my originallong cable broke almost immediately after receiving it. At the time the new cable was not for sale so I think I was just sent the whole promotional or beta package. Lucky for sure! One day I will try the boost pads just so see what they are like.

Jan 18, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #730 of 2,529
I have the original wood Nighthawk which came with the hybrid pads. I love the sound with the both hybrid and the Microsuede pads. I am not good with detailed comparisons, but on the NH I feel like that the original magic with the hybrids. I do find the Microsuede slightly more comfortable especially in hotter weather.

I also have the one you are referring to as the boost pads but have never felt inclined to try them. I had received them and the Microsuede ones along with the short thick cable when my originallong cable broke almost immediately after receiving it. At the time the new cable was not for sale so I think I was just sent the whole promotional or beta package. Lucky for sure! One day I will try the boost pads just so see what they are like.
Would love to hear how you find the Boost pads vs the original Hybrid. Since they are the same material i dont really think theres too much difference. Really curious to try the hybrid but the sales situation here in germany seems like crap. Only found one shop in the netherlands and i think 75€ (incl shipping) for 2 pads is a bit too much...

Jan 18, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #731 of 2,529
Would love to hear how you find the Boost pads vs the original Hybrid. Since they are the same material i dont really think theres too much difference. Really curious to try the hybrid but the sales situation here in germany seems like ****. Only found one shop in the netherlands and i think 75€ (incl shipping) for 2 pads is a bit too much...

That is too much... these kinds of things always are. If you are happy with the Microsuede stick with that. The difference in material between the Hybrid and the Boost is that the Hybrid has microsuede on part of it... not the part that touches your ear/face or the part you see on the outside. it is the inner part of the pad. I assume that would change the way the sound waves reflect.

I will try to compare and report back to you but it might be a couple of weeks. I have some new buds and iems coming that I want to listen to plus I promised to compare some things for a couple of people.

I found this photo online... can you see the difference in the fabric on the inner part? The photo can be made quite large. These are the hybrid pads that came on the original Nighthawk.

AQ-Nighthawk-2803.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #732 of 2,529
I would just like to confirm what has already been said about both the NH's and NO's, especially, with the hybrid earpads. Both have similar tonal qualities and sound characteristics. The only major difference between them is that the latter is closed while the former is semi-open. Also, the former has a bit larger soundstage. Based upon my sound preferences, my ears and primary music player(AAC music files played via iPhone 6s), I prefer the hybrid earpads for my NO's because they provide the best sound signature(natural and balanced).

I recently lent my NO's to my younger brother who is an electrical engineer with a supposedly "trained" ear. To my disappointment, he said that the NO's had exaggerated artificial sound. Are there any sound techs, acousticians, electrical engineers, musicians or recording/mixing/mastering engineers in this thread who own either a NH or NO who would like to chime in, for better or worse, on this discouraging remark?

Regardless of what my younger brother has said, I love my NO's to death. To my ears, the NO's are more pleasing to listen to than either the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow closed, Sony MDR-Z7 or ZMF Eikon. Different strokes for different folks. YMMV.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #733 of 2,529
I would just like to confirm what has already been said about both the NH's and NO's, especially, with the hybrid earpads. Both have similar tonal qualities and sound characteristics. The only major difference between them is that the latter is closed while the former is semi-open. Also, the former has a bit larger soundstage. Based upon my sound preferences, my ears and primary music player(AAC music files played via iPhone 6s), I prefer the hybrid earpads for my NO's because they provide the best sound signature(natural and balanced).

I recently lent my NO's to my younger brother who is an electrical engineer with a supposedly "trained" ear. To my disappointment, he said that the NO's had exaggerated artificial sound. Are there any acousticians, electrical engineers, musicians or recording/mixing/mastering engineers in this thread who own either a NH or NO who would like to chime in, for better or worse, on this discouraging remark?

Regardless of what my younger brother has said, I love my NO's to death. To my ears, the NO's are more pleasing to listen to than either the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow closed, Sony MDR-Z7 or ZMF Eikon. Different strokes for different folks. YMMV.
Welcome to team hybrid earpads! I agree that each individual has a different perception due to inner ear shape etc, but I'm with you in feeling like this is my favorite sound in the price range. The next step up for me is the Sony ZR1. $2200 is too rich for my blood at the moment.

Jan 19, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #735 of 2,529
Anyone running this baby balanced, and what cable are you using? I'm looking at using with my Sony NW-WM1Z with the Pentaconn 4.4mm.

i am using the balanced cable made by Audioquest themselves for the headphones. I am getting rid of my setup so PM me if intetested in buying the cables. They are excellent cables and selling super cheap!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back