AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Jan 19, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #736 of 2,528
I would just like to confirm what has already been said about both the NH's and NO's, especially, with the hybrid earpads. Both have similar tonal qualities and sound characteristics. The only major difference between them is that the latter is closed while the former is semi-open. Also, the former has a bit larger soundstage. Based upon my sound preferences, my ears and primary music player(AAC music files played via iPhone 6s), I prefer the hybrid earpads for my NO's because they provide the best sound signature(natural and balanced).

I recently lent my NO's to my younger brother who is an electrical engineer with a supposedly "trained" ear. To my disappointment, he said that the NO's had exaggerated artificial sound. Are there any sound techs, acousticians, electrical engineers, musicians or recording/mixing/mastering engineers in this thread who own either a NH or NO who would like to chime in, for better or worse, on this discouraging remark?

Regardless of what my younger brother has said, I love my NO's to death. To my ears, the NO's are more pleasing to listen to than either the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow closed, Sony MDR-Z7 or ZMF Eikon. Different strokes for different folks. YMMV.

NO's sound is not exaggerated to me. It adds just enough like tubes do to music to make it very musical. If you ever hear the hd800 and do on/off between them, you would be completely surprised at how musical NO is. I couldnt stand another minute with hd800. But, NO isnt the best in the market at resolution. But still better than all headphones in its price range. So a drum stick wont sound like a drum stick you would hear in real life compared to a $3,000 headphone with the highest resolution.
Its all a matter of preference, I would rather have an artificial added sound of a nice SET tubes that boost musicality to the music than the highest resolution of a solid state sound that can be flat, real but uninvolving and unmusical. If you like to hear music and the flow is what makes music to you then NO is fine IMO. :)

Btw, being an electrical engineer holds about the same weight in audio as to an audiophille whos been into audio for a few years. You can be an electrical engineer and be completely deaf. No problem. Its really about what a persons preference is, what setup they come from, really just their experience in audio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 20, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #737 of 2,528
May I ask why the MicroSuede pads get this much hate? I actually quite like them. They remove midbass, but boost subbass for me and everything is crystal clear, precise but musical at the same time. I wonder how the hybrid pads sound with the Nightowl!

On a sidenote, these headphones deserve so much more attention. Im really wondering why they are not more popular yet.
I personally think which earpads seem to "work" best for you is extremely dependent on how 'Dynamic' the majority of the music you're generally listening to actually is.

Most popular Genres of music really don't have wide dynamic swings so as a result of this it's a bit detrimental to attentuate any particular part of the frequency spectrum of without causing some 'perceived' frequency losses (that never really existed due to the fact they were 'boosted' during the recording process). The "Universal Headphone" is honestly just a Myth if you are serious about not accepting sonic compromises to one music genre over another......Unless you can make simple/reversible "tweaks" to your headphones

"One size fits all" is one of the silliest concepts of all time..... If you're not interested in making compromises. (That you don't have to)

Feb 4, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #738 of 2,528
Hi selling NightOwl balanced cable made from Audioquest. I ordered them directly from Audiowuest a few monthes back to run the headphones in balanced mode to use with a DAP. Got low hours and selling for close to half price what I paid retail. PM if interested. Thank you!

Feb 13, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #739 of 2,528
I got the Hybrid Pads finally and first impression in comparison to the Boost Pads is:
-more sub bass
-less piercing treble at higher volumes
-more detailed treble?!
-overall smoother/more pleasant sound presentation
-can turn the volume much higher without hurting the ears

Really liking them so far, gotta do more listening!

Feb 13, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #740 of 2,528
I got the Hybrid Pads finally and first impression in comparison to the Boost Pads is:
-more sub bass
-less piercing treble at higher volumes
-more detailed treble?!
-overall smoother/more pleasant sound presentation
-can turn the volume much higher without hurting the ears

Really liking them so far, gotta do more listening!
Welcome to team 'hybrid pads'

Feb 25, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #741 of 2,528
Could anyone please give me a comparison between these and some comparable models from other companies?

I like the Nightowls quite a bit, but they certainly don't sound like $500 cans to me.

I'd love to hear any similarities and differences between them and things like the Sony 1A or anything else you find relevant.

Thanks!

Feb 25, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #743 of 2,528
I don't know if they were burned in enough, I've only heard my brothers. But I did try multiple amp sources- dragonfly red, schiit Fulla, and headphone out of a rotel receiver.

Like I said, I can't say they are anything less than really good; the detail is astounding. But the whole thing sounded too colored for my ears, too warm, bordering on dark. They lacked any "attack" and while I appreciate smooth listening, I don't want my headphones to cancel out any harshness that's SUPPOSED to be present, like guitar feedback and the like.

Does that make sense? Or were my impressions way off? Lol

Feb 25, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #745 of 2,528
I don't know if they were burned in enough, I've only heard my brothers. But I did try multiple amp sources- dragonfly red, schiit Fulla, and headphone out of a rotel receiver.

Like I said, I can't say they are anything less than really good; the detail is astounding. But the whole thing sounded too colored for my ears, too warm, bordering on dark. They lacked any "attack" and while I appreciate smooth listening, I don't want my headphones to cancel out any harshness that's SUPPOSED to be present, like guitar feedback and the like.

Does that make sense? Or were my impressions way off? Lol
Lol. You grabbed the wrong headphones then. Nightowl/Nighthawk are all about smooth. My favorite cans under $1000. Try a portable planar like the aeons

Feb 25, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #746 of 2,528
Planar is out of my budget unfortunately, or I know exactly what I would get. I can get the AQs for next to nothing though.

So yeah, I know they're supposed to be smooth but it was just too much for my taste. I detected considerably small bass quantity, though the quality was good; and I definitely want at least a hint more sparkle up top to go with a bit more punch.

I currently use the NAD HP50 which I really love the sound of, but their reputation for being ill-fitting rang true for me as well. So I figure I may as well "upgrade" in all senses. I like to buy used headphones so I'm looking for something in the $2-300 range.

So any recommendations or notes that anyone may have about somewhat comparable but ultimately lesser(less expensive, anyway) headphones would be appreciated.

I decided to comment on this thread in particular since its so long. I figure there will be a lot of people that have useful comparisons.

Lol. You grabbed the wrong headphones then. Nightowl/Nighthawk are all about smooth. My favorite cans under $1000. Try a portable planar like the aeons

Feb 25, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #747 of 2,528
Planar is out of my budget unfortunately, or I know exactly what I would get. I can get the AQs for next to nothing though.

So yeah, I know they're supposed to be smooth but it was just too much for my taste. I detected considerably small bass quantity, though the quality was good; and I definitely want at least a hint more sparkle up top to go with a bit more punch.

I currently use the NAD HP50 which I really love the sound of, but their reputation for being ill-fitting rang true for me as well. So I figure I may as well "upgrade" in all senses. I like to buy used headphones so I'm looking for something in the $2-300 range.

So any recommendations or notes that anyone may have about somewhat comparable but ultimately lesser(less expensive, anyway) headphones would be appreciated.

I decided to comment on this thread in particular since its so long. I figure there will be a lot of people that have useful comparisons.
I use a little bass boost on my Nightowl's, but I wouldn't call them bass light persay. If you want more bass and a little more sparkle, the Meze 99 Classic are $309. FYI, Boost pads give the Nightowl their most sparkle. I don't like them. I use the original hybrid pads, as I don't like the added treble. Thankfully there is a sound profile out there for all of us

Feb 25, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #748 of 2,528
If you want more bass and a little more sparkle, the Meze 99 Classic are $309.

I second this option. Another possibility would be to obtain a Sony MDR-Z7 in the secondary market for $350 or less. Based upon my experience, the challenge would be to get one with a little more treble than is typical for this model. For example, I demoed such a unit at the Source AV in Torrance CA. Unfortunately, the one that I got used lacked treble which seems to be the general consensus for this model at the head-fi forums. This lack of treble remained even after breaking it in for 150-hrs.. I recently sold it as a result.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #749 of 2,528
I second this option. Another possibility would be to obtain a Sony MDR-Z7 in the secondary market for $350 or less. Based upon my experience, the challenge would be to get one with a little more treble than is typical for this model. For example, I demoed such a unit at the Source AV in Torrance CA. Unfortunately, the one that I got used lacked treble which seems to be the general consensus for this model at the head-fi forums. I recently sold it as a result.
The Source AV is kind of my favorite hang out spot. I'm a Southbay local as well. We apparently have somewhat similar sound taste seeing as we are both on the Nightowl thread, and backing the 99 Classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back