AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Oct 14, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #707 of 2,529
It is plenty warm but I'm mostly looking for a bit more space and soundstage. But I get that you can achieve that with solid state as well. I'm just at a bit of a loss for what to get.
I'm personally not a fan of extended treble. If you are ok with the level of treble that is present with the microsuede, the hybrid pads, from the original Nighthawk present a strong bass quantity when present in the music, and actually has a wider soundstage presentation than the boost pads. Deeper presentation as well

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #708 of 2,529
I'm personally not a fan of extended treble. If you are ok with the level of treble that is present with the microsuede, the hybrid pads, from the original Nighthawk present a strong bass quantity when present in the music, and actually has a wider soundstage presentation than the boost pads. Deeper presentation as well

Yet another thing to buy haha.

Yeah... I just tried the Nightowl on my friend's lyr 2 and it does sound better with the orange globes and bugle boys he was rolling when compared to my magni 2 SS. And by better I mean I preferred the various colorings and soundstage widening effect. But with that said it hasn't helped at all when considering an amp upgrade. Those three factors: tubes, balanced, and class A, seem to be the various choices I have. So I have to figure out what's going to be the biggest improvement over the magni 2.

Oct 18, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #709 of 2,529
Call me interested... biocellulose drivers... easily replaceable pads... two of them actually provided... (and recognizng the fact that pads do change the sound signature).... good price point... meaty sound...
Can't wait to (unfairly) compare them to my modded Fostex TH900 and Denon D7200 (have there been comparisons here? I haven't read through all pages). I put this on the shortlist besides the AKG K872 (I know, price diff, but really, my main problem is more like finding good closed cans at all that are more linear than the TH900 but close enough in musicality). This one looks like a candidate. It doesn't matter it's not a bass rattler or a resolution champion, as far as it sounds musical, with body, drive, dynamics, good stage and good harmonic structure.

Oct 18, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #711 of 2,529
Just checked out the accessories - the pads design is first rate, they sell a very usable cable with microphone, case, etc. Really well designed stuff.
From what I read these are bassy cans - I guess the hybrid pads might be the best choice.

Oct 19, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #712 of 2,529
Just checked out the accessories - the pads design is first rate, they sell a very usable cable with microphone, case, etc. Really well designed stuff.
From what I read these are bassy cans - I guess the hybrid pads might be the best choice.
I'll be more than interested on your impressions/measurements, if you've got the time and pull the trigger on these :p

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #713 of 2,529

I don't find them overly bassy at all. A bit on the warmer side for sure but the bass bloom that was there on the hawks is tightened up quite a bit with these.

Oct 19, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #714 of 2,529
I wouldn’t call them “bassy,” the bass is tight and impactful but not bloated and boomy with the hybrid and ultrasuede pads. The th-x00 is bassy, the nightowl is not.

Oct 20, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #715 of 2,529
I had a short (one hour) comparison between the Nightowl+leather pads, my modded TH900, stock Denon D7200, Oppo PM3, AKG K550 Mk2, and a bunch of others (Hifiman HE-1000, 560, Susvara, Oppo PM-1, HD650, HD800, B&W something, ...). I know one hours is not much, but I got pretty experienced on what to look for and what music to test with.

The Nightowl delivers what it promises - not much treble, but you get used with the sound. Not the most bass extension, but good enough. I would prefer a bit more open sound and bigger sound stage, so I guess that means either other pads (suave or hybrid). I guess this is possible with pad changes.

The Denon D7200 (I hate when I have to write Denon, but otherwise I'd associate to Nikon from the D7200 :) ) is the most similar to the Nightowl. They are like equal competitors in the treble-trouble-free zone. There are no factory tunings for the Denon (like pads for the Nightowl), but I know from experience the D7200 will change a lot with different pads.

The Oppo PM3 was the most balanced closed headphone of the bunch. A safe buy for everyone. I can image a pad change could also make a bigger sound stage and deeper bass.

It was interesting how close these headphones come to yesteryear references like HD650 and HD800, even besting them on some terms.
All Hifimans had the usual Hifiman problems I have with them, mostly harder mids (evident on piano recordings) and a bit thin sound (depending on model). I would choose the PM1 + some mods over them.

And now we come to the star of the show, the K550 II. On instrumental music it sounded more linear than the TH900, with similar stage and depth, totally satisfying. What a surprise. Less deep bass though, and needs good amplification to sound good. Also, outside classical and instrumental (e.g. pop, EDM, heavy metal, rock) it didn't sound nearly as good as the TH900. However, I rate the K550 II very high, competing up to 10x its price range with instrumental, classical, and contemporary pop music.

For my taste, the modded TH900 pretty clearly outclassed by one or two levels the above closed headphones with most musical genres, except instrumental/classical on the K550 II. It was an "ahh" experience every times I switched to them, they sounded smoother, more contrasty, greater dynamic range and better scale - but more colored too. And it's still my #1 bass-rattler headphone. So far I didn't have luck finding a TH900 replacement, but got surprised by the K550 Mk2. Next to try is the K872. The D7200 is on the keeper list too, though fixing its midrange issues is still on my backlog.

So if someone is looking for closed cans and sound is the priority, today I'd recommend the TH900, Sony Z1R, (perhaps the K872), then the K550 II, then either the D7200, PM3, or Nightowl (these all need mods, then it depends on the results). Even in stock mode, they are definitely competitive with open back headphones in most regards and most musical genres, though differences apply.

If comfort+sound is priority, the order is Z1R, Nightowl, TH900, K550 II. The PM3 and D7200 may be a bit small for certain people, they were on borderline with me. I would use somewhat bigger pad opening on the PM3, maybe it would become a bummer.

If price+sound is priority, go with the K550 II and an amp (e.g. at least Furutech AGL or better). I am still in awe. :)

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #717 of 2,529
@zolkis It's quite refreshing to hear praise for the "lower end" models in this hobby!

The NightOwls are not lower end model of Audioquest headphones. The retail cost is same as other model like Nighthawks etc. If you were saying the NightOwls are the lower end models in general, they are priced at $699.99 so I personally wouldn't categorize them as lower end compared to general audiophille headphone cost these days. Even sound is not near close to lower end. It sounds very good it certainly is in the upper tier. Peace!

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #718 of 2,529
The NightOwls are not lower end model of Audioquest headphones. The retail cost is same as other model like Nighthawks etc. If you were saying the NightOwls are the lower end models in general, they are priced at $699.99 so I personally wouldn't categorize them as lower end compared to general audiophille headphone cost these days. Even sound is not near close to lower end. It sounds very good it certainly is in the upper tier. Peace!
The star of the show AKG K550 mk2.

Oct 26, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #719 of 2,529
Just wondering if you guys have any good suggestions on cable for the nightowl? Getting annoyed and tired of using the long and thick cable that came with it when I am on the go...

Also, just wondering how you guys find nightowl’s sound leakage? I mean from what I read, almost all reviews say that it doesn’t leak sound, wont disturb others in work environment or library, but my wife always tell me that she can hear my music when I wear it at home...

Oct 26, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #720 of 2,529
Just wondering if you guys have any good suggestions on cable for the nightowl? Getting annoyed and tired of using the long and thick cable that came with it when I am on the go...

Also, just wondering how you guys find nightowl’s sound leakage? I mean from what I read, almost all reviews say that it doesn’t leak sound, wont disturb others in work environment or library, but my wife always tell me that she can hear my music when I wear it at home...

Are you talking about the Nighthawk? or the Nightowl. Because the owl has a super short cable with a mic on it, and it doesn't leak much sound. I have them fairly loud and my gf doesn't notice it while they're on my head. When you take them off, it's quite audible, but while actually on your head there is minimal sound leakage. Are you sitting right next to your wife? she might be able to hear a tiny bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back