AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Apr 6, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #1,681 of 2,529
Correct. A lot of people felt the new pads essentially ruined the lows and low mids. Original pads are not available, but I believe there has been some talk about Meze bringing them back. There is also the Massdrop Meze 99 Noir, which comes with two sets of pads. The 2nd pair is supposed to emulate the originals, though the dimensions are a little different. The Noir is the Classics, with a different look (better imo).
Mmh, than it was a bad idea to buy a new Meze 99 classics?! I could maybe change him back...
It‘s a better idea to buy a old one with older ear pads?!

Apr 6, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #1,682 of 2,529
Mmh, than it was a bad idea to buy a new Meze 99 classics?! I could maybe change him back...
It‘s a better idea to buy a old one with older ear pads?!
Up to you. Not everyone dislikes the sound with the new pads. You can listen and return, or just cancel your order and wait for the 99 Noir to become available. Finding a pair with old pads isn't easy, but you can post a wanted thread in the classifieds.

Apr 7, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #1,683 of 2,529
Just finished listening to part of the Styx discography, and holy cow! Mr Roboto and Suite Madame Blue never sounded so amazing. Stunning imagery, so very immersive. I just love how the sound isn't completely in my head with a closed back headphone. Trying to get these bad boys completely burned in. Have a ways to go yet.

Apr 10, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #1,684 of 2,529
I'd say I have around 60 hours on mine so far and they sound great. I'm really impressed how they sound with the Vali 2 I got a few weeks ago. I thought they might be to warm for a tube amp but with the Vali they sound great and they have a larger soundstage now which I love. I don't think they'll sound much different after 100 hours which is what they say the burn-in should be but we'll see.

Apr 11, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #1,685 of 2,529
95 hours on mine, sounding wonderful. Play very nicely with my A&K SR15/balanced. Finally told my wife too.... I was going to keep them for indoor use only because they're too good to go outside, but realise now they're too god not to.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #1,687 of 2,529
Up to you. Not everyone dislikes the sound with the new pads. You can listen and return, or just cancel your order and wait for the 99 Noir to become available. Finding a pair with old pads isn't easy, but you can post a wanted thread in the classifieds.
I got my first Meze 99 classics and extensively tested and compared with my other headphones. I've never been so disappointed with a headset. He sounds too massive. He is in my opinion too present and powerful. I do not like him at all. He does not come close to my Audio Quest or Grado. I will sell him.
At the same time I ordered the Meze 99 Noir from Massdrop and I'm curious how he sounds.

Apr 17, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #1,689 of 2,529
They sound great too.

Apr 17, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #1,692 of 2,529
They're a great pair of headphones.

Like with my other headphones I've been using them with the Vali 2 I bought a few weeks ago but I like the way they sound with my Magni3 more. They weren't to warm sounding like I thought they might have been but the overall clarity and detail is better on the Magni3, I've always been a solid state guy anyways. The Owl sounds good on the Vali 2 but just not as good as with the Magni3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back