AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Apr 5, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #1,667 of 2,529
I already read that some of you have a Meze 99 next to the NighOwl...
I think about to buy the Meze 99 classics to my NO and the Grado GH2 / SR325e.
Would that complement my collection well or is one of the other headphones enough or better?
What do you think?

Apr 6, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #1,668 of 2,529
I already read that some of you have a Meze 99 next to the NighOwl...
I think about to buy the Meze 99 classics to my NO and the Grado GH2 / SR325e.
Would that complement my collection well or is one of the other headphones enough or better?
What do you think?
If you want something that compliments the Owl, the Classics are a great choice. These are my go to closed backs. If you want something totally different, I'd look elsewhere. The Owls stay at home, my H6 is my portable, and the Classics are my in betweener.

Apr 6, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #1,669 of 2,529
If you want something that compliments the Owl, the Classics are a great choice. These are my go to closed backs. If you want something totally different, I'd look elsewhere. The Owls stay at home, my H6 is my portable, and the Classics are my in betweener.
So, you mean the Meze 99 sounds similar to the Audio Quest NightOwl. Right? I still have a Grado GH2 and a Stax SR-60. They sound different. So, does not it make any sense to buy the Meze 99 in addition, since it is very similar to the NO (maybe the Nightowl has all properties that the Meze 99 have...and/but a little more/better)?! Correctly understood?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #1,670 of 2,529
So, you mean the Meze 99 sounds similar to the Audio Quest NightOwl. Right? I still have a Grado GH2 and a Stax SR-60. They sound different. So, does not it make any sense to buy the Meze 99 in addition, since it is very similar to the NO (maybe the Nightowl has all properties that the Meze 99 have...and/but a little more/better)?! Correctly understood?
Similar, yes. The main difference being the Owl is a little darker sounding, where as the Classics are warmer sounding. The Classics have a somewhat more forward tuning.

Apr 6, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #1,671 of 2,529
Similar, yes. The main difference being the Owl is a little darker sounding, where as the Classics are warmer sounding. The Classics have a somewhat more forward tuning.

Ah, ok, thank you....
Then it probably does not make much sense to buy it. I get it for relatively little money, but I think then I stay with the Nightowl and the others. I do not have any money to give away either. I really like the old Stax too. Maybe then I should save on a better Stax.

How is the different from the noise insulation between the Nightowl and the Meze 99 classics? Both are closed headphones....

Apr 6, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #1,672 of 2,529
Ah, ok, thank you....
Then it probably does not make much sense to buy it. I get it for relatively little money, but I think then I stay with the Nightowl and the others. I do not have any money to give away either. I really like the old Stax too. Maybe then I should save on a better Stax.

How is the different from the noise insulation between the Nightowl and the Meze 99 classics? Both are closed headphones....
Ultimately it's your decision. I wouldnt say the Classics sound as similar to the Owls as you might be thinking. I would still consider it variety. Just know that the current pads Meze are using, do change the sound from the 1st, original pads they used. Most of the great reviews were based on the original pads.

Apr 6, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #1,673 of 2,529
I am one of the few people here on head-fi that does not like Meze 99.
I wanted to like them so much when I bought a pair of 99 Neo, but they sounded too bass heavy for me. Kind of like a little kid walking behind you with a drum and hitting it all the time.
I do love base and primarily listen to EDM styles like dubstep and future bass. My Nighthawks are incredible with those, but can sometimes sound muddy with some pop music.
My Nightowls suit general pop music better in my opinion.
My Meze 99 Neo never sounded magical with any of the music I tried. I could never enjoy them, so I sold them at the end. But I am in a minority here on head-fi.
I also think Audioquest headphones scale much better with higher end gear, are much more comfortable AND have sound that is on a higher level (comparing to Meze 99).
For me the biggest difference was that Audioquest headphones sound natural and musical, you can enjoy for hours. And Meze 99 was screaming at me "Look at my bass! Look what I can do".
I do have to admit that Meze 99 did sound much better when wearing them over a hat...

Apr 6, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #1,674 of 2,529
I wanted to like them so much when I bought a pair of 99 Neo, but they sounded too bass heavy for me. Kind of like a little kid walking behind you with a drum and hitting it all the time.
I do love base and primarily listen to EDM styles like dubstep and future bass. My Nighthawks are incredible with those, but can sometimes sound muddy with some pop music.
My Meze 99 Neo never sounded magical with any of the music I tried. I could never enjoy them, so I sold them at the end. But I am in a minority here on head-fi.
I also think Audioquest headphones scale much better with higher end gear, are much more comfortable AND have sound that is on a higher level (comparing to Meze 99).
For me the biggest difference was that Audioquest headphones sound natural and musical, you can enjoy for hours. And Meze 99 was screaming at me "Look at my bass! Look what I can do".
I do have to admit that Meze 99 did sound much better when wearing them over a hat...
Yep. Again, the new, larger pads. I didn't like the Classics with the big pads either. Curiosity got the best of me, so I tracked down a pair of NIB Classics with the old version pads. They clean that overblown, loose and bleeding bass up. I'll never part with them now.

Apr 6, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #1,675 of 2,529
Sometimes you just don't end up hearing a headphone the same way that the majority seem to. Point in proof for me was the Master & Dynamics MH40. I was so interested in them and read so many glowing reviews and impressions in addition to loving the look. I had a set become available to me to have at home and they were very underwhelming, the sound signature did absolutely nothing for me at all. The only thing that I ended up liking was the beautiful styling and nice build quality. I seem to be in the minority here, at least at last check not sure if the opinion tide has now shifted on the MH40. I owned and very much enjoyed the Nightowl, certainly more than the Nighthawk which was too restrained for me and could as a previous poster commented come across as muddy. The Nightowl while also somewhat restrained was less so and I found it very engaging.

Apr 6, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #1,676 of 2,529
You're talking about the Meze 99 Neo. I'm talking about the Meze 99 classics. There is a clear difference. The Meze 99 Neo have a stronger bass than the Meze 99 classics. This has already been said in several tests....

Apr 6, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #1,677 of 2,529
Yep. Again, the new, larger pads. I didn't like the Classics with the big pads either. Curiosity got the best of me, so I tracked down a pair of NIB Classics with the old version pads. They clean that overblown, loose and bleeding bass up. I'll never part with them now.
Ah, now I understand first: You mean that the Meze 99 classics with the new, larger ear pads do not allow as good sound as the old ones with the smaller ear pads? I have now bought a new Meze 99 classics. I'm curious. Can I replace the ear pads? Where could I get the smaller ear pads?

Apr 6, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #1,678 of 2,529
You're talking about the Meze 99 Neo. I'm talking about the Meze 99 classics. There is a clear difference. The Meze 99 Neo have a stronger bass than the Meze 99 classics. This has already been said in several tests....
None the less it's the pads. Both headphones use the same driver. Only difference is the cup material. The Neo came out after the Classics, at which time both headphones came with the new pad revision. With the new pads, the two sound more similar than different.
If you believe the Neo sounds that much different from the Classics, why bring it into a thread where the Neos were never even mentioned?

Apr 6, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #1,679 of 2,529
Ah, now I understand first: You mean that the Meze 99 classics with the new, larger ear pads do not allow as good sound as the old ones with the smaller ear pads? I have now bought a new Meze 99 classics. I'm curious. Can I replace the ear pads? Where could I get the smaller ear pads?
Correct. A lot of people felt the new pads essentially ruined the lows and low mids. Original pads are not available, but I believe there has been some talk about Meze bringing them back. There is also the Massdrop Meze 99 Noir, which comes with two sets of pads. The 2nd pair is supposed to emulate the originals, though the dimensions are a little different. The Noir is the Classics, with a different look (better imo).

Apr 6, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #1,680 of 2,529
None the less it's the pads. Both headphones use the same driver. Only difference is the cup material. The Neo came out after the Classics, at which time both headphones came with the new pad revision. With the new pads, the two sound more similar than different.
If you believe the Neo sounds that much different from the Classics, why bring it into a thread where the Neos were never even mentioned?
This was in response to member leeco. Sorry for the confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back