AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 25, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #10,114 of 10,194
NightHawk fans looking for more of that juice in your veins - check out the offerings from ETA. I think the ESX900 is a per situation product, but I have heard the Genesis G and the Mini-S. There is some of that timbre sauce in their products. Tonally "fixed" (pending your preference)

The Sennheiser IE 900 (In Ear Monitor) gave me some NH vibes. Some of my favorite DD bass - my version of 'natural' timbre. 900 tightens everything up, but not too quick. Biggest issues is the laidback mids.. Guess what NH fans - that's for you. The treble has more presence but less bite. Thanks resonators.

Dang I want both back.

Apr 10, 2023 at 5:24 AM Post #10,118 of 10,194
So I just changed my earpads and rebuilt the broken down headband on my nighthawk carbon

The earpads were from here
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003105851742.html
They work great, just need to move the plastic ring from your old earpads over to the new pads...

The headband was trickier, as I could not find someone who sold a replacement, i just made my own out of cowhide. I took the original headband, sliced open the threads, and gently removed the elastic band, which I then moved over to the new headband. :) Works great now... but yeah DIY.......

Its like a brand new headphone again!

Attachments

• 20230410_170640.jpg
    20230410_170640.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230410_170651.jpg
    20230410_170651.jpg
    1,013.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230410_170706.jpg
    20230410_170706.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230410_170716.jpg
    20230410_170716.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #10,120 of 10,194
So I just changed my earpads and rebuilt the broken down headband on my nighthawk carbon

The earpads were from here
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003105851742.html
They work great, just need to move the plastic ring from your old earpads over to the new pads...

The headband was trickier, as I could not find someone who sold a replacement, i just made my own out of cowhide. I took the original headband, sliced open the threads, and gently removed the elastic band, which I then moved over to the new headband. :) Works great now... but yeah DIY.......

Its like a brand new headphone again!
Nice!
Since you have taken the headband apart you have some insight into the elastic. My elastic has lost its tension, and I was hoping a new piece could be attached to the existing one and pulled through which would mean it is not sewn in. Do you think that would be possible? I'm surprised your elastic was good enough to reuse. My headband and earpads are sill in good shape.

I would like to get the NightHawk's back into my rotation since I have enjoyed them in the past.

Apr 10, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #10,121 of 10,194
For the last week I have used the NightHawks again, after using other pairs the last year.
When I first got them, a couple of years ago they soon became my favorite pair of headphones for their fatigue free, fluid and 3D sound.
But after a year I noticed that they have started to become brighter sounding, their treble became pretty forward and fatiguing with certain music/tracks. (So did the Sony MDR-Z7s btw). Did my ears alter with age? But becoming more treble sensitive doesn't make sense, does it?
I switched to the NightOwls, Avantone Planars and Sennheiser HD650s. My beloved NighHawks gathered dust...(well not really, I had put them in their leather case with a silica gel bag)
This last week I have tried them again and they are still nowhere near the dark and fatigue-free headphones they once were, but they at least sound awesome again, well to my ears the least.
What has become apparent is that they are truly dynamic sounding. There is this sound pressure, this force behind every note and tone that is unique. It may well be the ear pads that are for a part responsible for this, because wearing them without playing music you feel some passive noise canceling, like my ears are vacuum sealed.
Out of all the headphones I own the NightHawks have the best layering of instruments. There is some true 3D and vertical positioning going on.
Their soundstage is awesome.
I no longer rank them as my favorites, but that's OK, I cannot claim any pair of headphones to be my favorites. They all have their own unique merits and flaws.

Apr 10, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #10,122 of 10,194
Nice!
Since you have taken the headband apart you have some insight into the elastic. My elastic has lost its tension, and I was hoping a new piece could be attached to the existing one and pulled through which would mean it is not sewn in. Do you think that would be possible? I'm surprised your elastic was good enough to reuse. My headband and earpads are sill in good shape.

I would like to get the NightHawk's back into my rotation since I have enjoyed them in the past.
Hey there, ah ok

- I had to remove all the stitching going around the headband as the elastic strap is actually sewn into the headband in the middle of the headband with 2 little stitches
- You can just get any replacement elastic strap from one of those sewing or crafting store.
- The elastic strap is sewn into both the headband (as mentioned above) as well as the 2 little side pleather straps (so it is sewn into 3 places)

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #10,123 of 10,194
Can you buy the original pads for Nighthawks somewhere? Old ones are starting to crumble.
I bought replacement pads designed for "Shure SRH 440 840 940 1840" (that's exactly what it says on the TaoBao page I bought from)
Worked a treat. Good fit on the headphones, very comfortable and I don't feel they changed the sound significantly.

Apr 18, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #10,124 of 10,194
I have EQ-ed them just by ear. Not really accurate, but they sound so much more natural now. Without this setting they sound off.
I have only EQ-ed the high mids and treble, from 1.25 khz to 8 khz

1681843288574.png
1681843491467.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back