AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 13, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #9,661 of 10,194
I clearly explained what my words meant, and why I did never write that a headphone could sound EXACTLY like another. What are we, in 5th grade ?
You talking about "nonsense" means that either you didn't understand me (which I doubt) or you're lying. Anyway, I think my posts are clear enough, so let's move on.

Thank you. I didn't know about that one. :)
I knew about InnerFidelity (Nighthawk EQ, hence with the hybrid pads) and about Dale Thorn (Nighthawk EQ with the stock hybrid pads too).

Tellement Nomade is the first Nighthawk Carbon EQ (hence full pleather pads) that I stumble upon.
Unfortunately it doesn't target the Harman Curve but something else (see here : http://www.tellementnomade.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=21753#p630871 ), and it's made with "amateur" hardware (MiniDSP EARS) instead of the much more expensive GRAS head & torso simulator used by Oratory.
I'll add it to my EQ presets, but I don't expect any miracles.

In a couple of weeks we should have Oratory's take on this, with various pads, but maybe not with the stock NHC pleather pads. If somebody wants to send his full pleather pads (or his NHC) to Austria, it may still be time.
Yes, you did reiterate your statement after my post. Your original post said “You can make the Nighthawks or any other headphone sound like each other with EQ”. If that were the case, everyone would be EQ’ing dollar store headphones like the FR response of the Nighthawk and hear no difference at all, which is simply BS. Should’ve put your comment to me in your first post to stop the confusing in the first place for potential new readers, not after you’ve been corrected and then saying “I never wrote that”

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #9,662 of 10,194
Yes, you did reiterate your statement after my post. Your original post said “You can make the Nighthawks or any other headphone sound like each other with EQ”. If that were the case, everyone would be EQ’ing dollar store headphones like the FR response of the Nighthawk and hear no difference at all, which is simply BS. Should’ve put your comment to me in your first post to stop the confusing in the first place for potential new readers, not after you’ve been corrected and then saying “I never wrote that”
For God's sake, show some common sense. Nobody can make a 50$ headphone sound like a 1000$ headphone, or a closed headphone like an open headphone, that's obvious. "like any other" means "like any other in the same category and with similar physical characteristics".
And of course I never said "exactly", which once again means there was nothing to correct. Again, are we in 5th grade or what ?
I'm done discussing with you. Go waste your time with someone else or I will block you.

Jan 13, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #9,663 of 10,194
For God's sake, show some common sense. Nobody can make a 50$ headphone sound like a 1000$ headphone, or a closed headphone like an open headphone, that's obvious. "like any other" means "like any other in the same category and with similar physical characteristics".
And of course I never said "exactly", which once again means there was nothing to correct. Again, are we in 5th grade or what ?
I'm done discussing with you. Go waste your time with someone else or I will block you.
You are from ASR after all, most members believe you can make any headphone sound like each other through EQ. Common sense is not something that’s so common among their numerically obsessed mindframe.

No need to be upset, just a correction from my part.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #9,666 of 10,194
Which do you think is a better deal.4 year old of nighthawks for 200 dollars or a set of mint nighthawk carbon for 270 dollars
I'd go for mint Carbons because I'm paranoid about those rubber bands

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #9,668 of 10,194
Agree. Not to mention a pleasure of smelling new pads and fun of trying out if headphone burn-in is fact or myth :)
The NightHawk smell to me was quite strange (I disliked it at first, always washing my hair before sleep, it dissipated after 4-5 days tho). It grows on you, tho

Jan 14, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #9,670 of 10,194
Most headphones have different distortion levels and chassis so they’ll never sound perfectly the same. An example is you cannot EQ and Audeze to sound like a Hifiman because Audeze are semi open by nature while the Hifiman HE-5XX for this example is very open so it can’t replicate that massive open sound of the HE-5XX.

The Nighthawk has a lot of cup play so reverb and the closed design will still sound closed on although you can EQ the bass down to minimise congestion. The difference between say a $50 headphone and $1000 will depend on housing, drivers are not that expensive but materials for the housing plus R&D is which is what you’re paying for. In many cases you’re not always paying for better sound but a better made product.

Jan 14, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #9,671 of 10,194
Most headphones have different distortion levels and chassis so they’ll never sound perfectly the same. An example is you cannot EQ and Audeze to sound like a Hifiman because Audeze are semi open by nature while the Hifiman HE-5XX for this example is very open so it can’t replicate that massive open sound of the HE-5XX.

The Nighthawk has a lot of cup play so reverb and the closed design will still sound closed on although you can EQ the bass down to minimise congestion. The difference between say a $50 headphone and $1000 will depend on housing, drivers are not that expensive but materials for the housing plus R&D is which is what you’re paying for. In many cases you’re not always paying for better sound but a better made product.

That is true, most drivers aren’t that expensive and are not even new. Many dynamic drivers are made by OEM’s and only some are actually made in house and it’s usually older more established companies such as Beyer, Senn, Sony, Fostex, Audio-Technica, AKG (older at least, the most recent stuff seems to be oem drivers), etc. that make their own. From what I gather it’s actually harder/more cost intensive (manufacturing equipment cost I gather and probably other reasons) to start making dynamic drivers from scratch than planars/estats. You’ll notice almost no new startups seems to make fully unique dynamic drivers but rather they all seem to be OEM with maybe unique membranes. Most recent to make completely custom dynamic drivers from membrane, magnet, capsule, etc. is probably Focal, there maybe a couple others but that’s really it. More expensive does not mean a headphone has more potential. Sometimes the cheaper headphone has the better driver in it.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #9,673 of 10,194
@CaptainFantastic Forza offers also Noir cables so I wonder what is the difference from your expirence since price difference is minimal.

I will not comment much on the sound changes as this is very controversial and I certainly did not sit there A/B-ing with quick cable changes.

I will say that I went for the Claire Hybrid HPC upgrade (double the price) over the Copper Series HPC Mk2 because the Hawks already have a warm sound, so whereas the copper is supposed to add warmth, the hybrid goes a bit in the other direction toward more transparency and neutrality.

But more importantly, as much as I do already like the nice feel, build, flexibility, non-coil properties of the Copper Series HPC Mk2 (10 000% improvement over stock cable or Amazon cables), the Claire Hybrid HPC is just on yet another upgrade ergonomically. It has more strands and feels just right for desktop use. Ergonomics are very important to the overall experience IMHO. I had this type of cable already for my HD 660-S and had to go for it on the Hawks.

Sound-wise, controversially, and just in my opinion (and maybe just placebo effect), I think the Copper Series HPC Mk2 provides better sound than stock and the Claire Hybrid adds another layer of improvement again. Somehow, it seems like the sound is richer, slightly more 3D and there is more substance to the bass frequencies (this coming from someone who prizes mids above all).

The Noir is a Claire HPC Mk2 with a sleeve in my understanding. I had it for my Audeze MX4 and HD-600. I like the non-sleeve Claire version of the HPC Mk2 better. I used a scale and weighed the sleeve on the Noirs and decided it's not worth adding those extra 45 grams. I like a comfortable, light headphone.

So when you say the price difference is minimal, I think for headphones that are already on the warm side, the Claire Hybrid HPC is both cheaper and better than the Noir HPC Mk2. Compared to the Noir Hybrid HPC it is some 25% cheaper and 40 grams lighter. Some people do prefer the feel of the sleeve on the Noir.

Jan 21, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #9,675 of 10,194
Got mesurements from Oratory today. They will be implemented on official site list with next update

Stockpads to Harman Target
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qpt8a5x26ydx5ul/Audioquest Nighthawk.pdf?dl=0

Stockpads to Optimum Hifi Target:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qkqiu7yoc0imxy9/Audioquest Nighthawk (Optimum HiFi).pdf?dl=0

Shure 1540 pads
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jhzxzb8yu...40 Alcantara Earpads) (Optimum HiFi).pdf?dl=0

Brainwavz hm5
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m6bzigju0...z HM5 Hybrid Earpads) (Optimum HiFi).pdf?dl=0

At first sight the phone is very easy to trim with EQ to high end nirvana :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back