AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 21, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #9,676 of 10,196
Thanks @jaco61 , much appreciated :)
Only one link seems to be to Harman. Did he do measurements for 1540 and HM5 to Harman too ?
I don't really understand the "Optimum HiFi" thing which is so different from Harman, when Oratory has been sticking to Harman for years... Any clues ?

Besides, what would be the best setting for the NHC ? NH stockpads are hybrid, 1540 pads are perforated... HM5 then ? But again, I'm missing a Harman setting for them.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #9,677 of 10,196
Thanks @jaco61 , much appreciated :)
Only one link seems to be to Harman. Did he do measurements for 1540 and HM5 to Harman too ?
I don't really understand the "Optimum HiFi" thing which is so different from Harman, when Oratory has been sticking to Harman for years... Any clues ?

Besides, what would be the best setting for the NHC ? NH stockpads are hybrid, 1540 pads are perforated... HM5 then ? But again, I'm missing a Harman setting for them.
Just Google: <oratory1990 optimum hifi> you will find everything... Its more or less a bit less bass.
Harman Target for me gives too much of bass. At the end follow your ears to finetune it to your taste.

Jan 21, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #9,678 of 10,196
Just Google: <oratory1990 optimum hifi> you will find everything... Its more or less a bit less bass.
Harman Target for me gives too much of bass. At the end follow your ears to finetune it to your taste.
Allow me to rephrase. I wasn't really looking for explanations on the "optimum hi-fi" / B&K 1974. I am just trying to understand if Oratory will be replacing his Harman targed by that one from now on. Hence my question about the lack of Harman measurements for 1540 and HM5. Do these graphs exist ?

Another observation : so far we have measurements for pleather (HM5), hybrid (stockpads) and perforated alcantara (1540). Unfortunately we have no measurements yet for velour (which corresponds to the NHC second set of pads).

Jan 21, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #9,680 of 10,196
i just finished the NH break-in.it's good but i pushes me as i discover the world of listening to headphones to try a planar.what would you advise me?
What's your budget ? The best sub-500 € planar right now seems to be the Hifiman Sundara. I have one... but I prefer my Nighthawk. :p

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #9,682 of 10,196
What's your budget ? The best sub-500 € planar right now seems to be the Hifiman Sundara. I have one... but I prefer my Nighthawk. :p

In the similar price range LCD-1 are also able to compete. The thing is LCD-1 benefit strongly from EQ using Reveal+ or MorphIt and this is actually an important drawback for me since you may not like or have the ability to EQ. The reason I went with LCD-1 is their portability when traveling.

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #9,683 of 10,196
i read a lot of things about the verum one which is at 349$ wich is said to be better than a sundara

While I haven't heard Verum one, here is a short review and comparison of Sundarda, LCD-1 and Verum: https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/hifiman-sundara-review-2020-stealth-revision

Built quality and design kept me away from it and pushed me towards LCD-1.

Not to mention issues with Verum manfuturer (this is basically a DYI project): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ver...mance-diy-planar.887175/page-98#post-15761400

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #9,684 of 10,196
i read a lot of things about the verum one which is at 349$ wich is said to be better than a sundara
The Verum have been going on for some time already. I guess if they were really better than the Sundara we'd know it for sure. I think they're not.
But feel free to discuss in one of their Head-Fi threads :
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/verum-audio-exciting-high-performance-diy-planar.887175/
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/verum-1-one-planar-magnetic-headphones.23810/reviews

Oh, and their metal headband is really ugly, but that's personal. :p

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #9,686 of 10,196
Tastes are different.. I had the Sundara for some time and the verum 1. Sundara was impressive at first listenings, but too demanding for longer time. Very uncomfortable with not swiveling cups.
Verum 1 I would rate above.. less details but very pleasant sound. Comfortable despite of weight.
The winner for me and the best hifiman out of some others too is just for 169 usd or 199 Euro the HE400i 2020

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #9,687 of 10,196
Allow me to rephrase. I wasn't really looking for explanations on the "optimum hi-fi" / B&K 1974. I am just trying to understand if Oratory will be replacing his Harman targed by that one from now on. Hence my question about the lack of Harman measurements for 1540 and HM5. Do these graphs exist ?
Another observation : so far we have measurements for pleather (HM5), hybrid (stockpads) and perforated alcantara (1540). Unfortunately we have no measurements yet for velour (which corresponds to the NHC second set of pads).
Sorry I did not got harman target measurements of the other pads, just stock.

Mention: Brainwavz Hm5 hybrid pads (not pleather!)

Best if you ask oratory1990 himself to get proper answers from a pro I am just at the very start into eq-ing.

About optimum hifi curve oratory1990 says
<<.... A headphone version of B&K‘s 1974 Optimum HiFi curve.

Turns out that it essentially confirms Harman‘s research: Same results at mid and treble, and slightly different results in the bass (which is well within the scope of Harman‘s research. Bass needs to be personalized, as the Harman papers make abundantly clear). <<

So anyway its just a bass setting to your liking. The Harman target for me is a bit too much bass.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #9,688 of 10,196
Oratory has been quite critical of the Nighthawk and can see why it looks awful in measurements. That said I personally do enjoy them but not as a one and only headphone, having a more even, open headphone like the Hifiman Sundara is ideal I find. The bass hump is massive that I can help but enjoy it though. It has the benefit of low distortion so you get no congestion in the bass like the HD650.

it’s funny because every critical impression I agree with but at the same time I enjoy them, they’re definitely my guilty pleasure.

Jan 21, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #9,689 of 10,196
With Eq easily trimmed the Nighthawk is a pleasure, my one and only? ... this one doesnt exist :wink:
Besides I am fully diving into hifiman sound recently too, but thats another story.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #9,690 of 10,196
Oratory has been quite critical of the Nighthawk and can see why it looks awful in measurements. That said I personally do enjoy them but not as a one and only headphone, having a more even, open headphone like the Hifiman Sundara is ideal I find. The bass hump is massive that I can help but enjoy it though. It has the benefit of low distortion so you get no congestion in the bass like the HD650.

it’s funny because every critical impression I agree with but at the same time I enjoy them, they’re definitely my guilty pleasure.

Somebody else has also been quite very critical of it up above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back