AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 7, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #9,631 of 10,196
I know Skylar came on this thread a while ago to confirm that the Carbon was sonically the same as the original NH, but to my ears they sound a little different. (I have both. Three pairs in total actually). The Carbon is a touch less fulsome in the bass, a little more linear you might say, and a touch brighter up top. Not majorly, but noticeably, when directly A/B-ing them. I haven't formally measured them though-- I'm just a passionate listener. I'm not trying to reignite any controversy about it; I just believe this view should be known for anyone coming new to the NH. Perhaps it's down to individual model's idiosyncrasies, break-in time, etc., I don't know. But I hear a slight but real difference. Your mileage may vary.

Jan 7, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #9,632 of 10,196
I know Skylar came on this thread a while ago to confirm that the Carbon was sonically the same as the original NH, but to my ears they sound a little different. (I have both. Three pairs in total actually). The Carbon is a touch less fulsome in the bass, a little more linear you might say, and a touch brighter up top. Not majorly, but noticeably, when directly A/B-ing them. I haven't formally measured them though-- I'm just a passionate listener. I'm not trying to reignite any controversy about it; I just believe this view should be known for anyone coming new to the NH. Perhaps it's down to individual model's idiosyncrasies, break-in time, etc., I don't know. But I hear a slight but real difference. Your mileage may vary.
Like said, that can be due to the pad difference : hybrid on the NH, full pleather on the NHC. The headphones without the pads should be identical. Have you tried switching the pads ? Granted that can't be done in a real double blind experiment.

Jan 7, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #9,634 of 10,196
i 've had mine since Monday and i let them run 10 hours a day.i don't know what it will give after the break in time, but what i already hear i really like.the only complaint i'd have,is the cable...first i'll buy a cable extension and then i'll see cause the price for a cable is exorbitant....i'm very happy with my purchase and that thanks to your advise and in particular to those by arcamera

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #9,635 of 10,196
The carbons uses the boosts pads so they make everything a little more etchy, energetic. The original pads sound a tad smoother, duller some may say, subtle but noticeable but depends on ones ears.

Jan 11, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #9,638 of 10,196
could you please tell me if i can improve the high midrange with another cable ?
i'm using the miro-suede pads,the sound is more balanced
Pads change sound.
Cables, even very expensive ones, don't.
Definitely try EQ.
With EQ you can do anything. Even keep the original pleather pads and make them sound like the micro-suede pads. Or make the Nighthawk sound like any other headphone thanks to AutoEQ. Everything's possible. :)

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #9,639 of 10,196
could you please tell me if i can improve the high midrange with another cable ?
i'm using the miro-suede pads,the sound is more balanced
Definitely EQ as the others have mentioned. The combination of very low distortion and ridiculous power handling make these cans extremely EQ friendly.

Jan 11, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #9,640 of 10,196
I believe, there was talk a long while a go about the carbons being designed and measured differently to the original Nighthawk...I think it was on the old Innerfidelity website. The original Nighthawk was controversially measured differently to most other headphones, where this was corrected on the Carbon.

I'll see if I can dig it up, but interesting stuff none the less!

This video is regarding mostly the Nightowl but he goes in to pad material and differences it can make!

Jan 11, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #9,641 of 10,196
I believe, there was talk a long while a go about the carbons being designed and measured differently to the original Nighthawk...I think it was on the old Innerfidelity website. The original Nighthawk was controversially measured differently to most other headphones, where this was corrected on the Carbon.

I'll see if I can dig it up, but interesting stuff none the less!

This video is regarding mostly the Nightowl but he goes in to pad material and differences it can make!

The NightOwl Carbon is tuned more traditionally, so that may be what you're referencing. The different pads on the Nighthawk Carbon vs the OG Nighthawk do change the tuning a little, but they still don't make the NH Carbon sound quite like other headphones, they're very unique.

Jan 11, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #9,642 of 10,196
The NightOwl Carbon is tuned more traditionally, so that may be what you're referencing. The different pads on the Nighthawk Carbon vs the OG Nighthawk do change the tuning a little, but they still don't make the NH Carbon sound quite like other headphones, they're very unique.
My memory is going...do you remember? I think it was a conversation with Tyll and the company but it was something to do with the tuning of the headphone and different parts of the ear? Maybe I'm going crazy... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Mate...Just had my morning cuppa coffee while listening to the Nighthawks with some lovely Downtempo music...feeling cozy this morning! :grinning:

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #9,644 of 10,196
Like said recently in this topic, the pads may change the FR a lot, but without the pads, the NH and the NHC are said to be 100% identical sound-wise. Same drivers, same circuitry, same cavity shape, same 3D-printed mesh over the back opening...
Mine are a different colour, that's probably what changes the sound 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back