AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 2, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #9,167 of 10,196
No, it was more of a comment on buyer psychology: while there is usually little interest in close-outs, something about the Drop model creates a false sense of urgency.

Yes

Dec 3, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #9,169 of 10,196
I don't understand, did you own it long enough for the smell to have imprinted itself in your memory so that you subconsciousness can be affected?

I find the smell of the headphone and pads pleasant and only noticeable if one tries to smell them.

Note - I have also read and heard that Grado headphones are complete and utter crap. Junk. Garbage. But I don't go to the Grado threads to post my uninformed opinion about them.

Dec 3, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #9,170 of 10,196
...my subconscious associates the smell with the sickness one feels when overcharged for a mediocre product...sorry, but still not getting it and it's only my humble opinion. Not trying to offend anyone.
I think if anything is clear, it's that this is a polarizing headphone that is very much in it's own league. You either love it or hate it.

Dec 3, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #9,171 of 10,196
I think if anything is clear, it's that this is a polarizing headphone that is very much in it's own league. You either love it or hate it.

The ones who love it the most seem to be those who used speaker based systems for many years. The NH just feels natural. I have been enjoying mine for over three years now. Not that this has stopped me from checking out other things...

Dec 3, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #9,172 of 10,196
The ones who love it the most seem to be those who used speaker based systems for many years.

Thats me. I've always been a speaker guy but use headphones out of necessity for the times there are others in my office. However, I really like having different windows into the music: nearfield speakers, floor standers, car stereo & headphones all bring different qualities to the table. Only recently I've gotten sucked down the headphone wormhole: after 5 years with only one wired pair (ah-d2000), I've purchased four headphones & 1 amp in the last month. I look at headphones as motorcycles vs. cars - inexpensive & small enough to have a fleet of them, very high performance, but lacking a certain heft & dynamic that you can only experience with a car (which will always be my baseline). I am loving the process of discovery, and variety though.

Dec 3, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #9,173 of 10,196
I just got the NH yesterday, and am really starting to appreciate them big time. I'll be honest and say I am pretty skeptical of "burn in" - if some change happens for the better, that's great...but they seem pretty satisfying to me right now. Not to mention the fit, comfort and finish being top class.

I also have the Meze 99 and they are like the boisterous and lively little brother to the NH. The NH is the mature and sophisticated sibling. It's an interesting pairing.
Could you compare those two now after you listened to them for some time? Do they both have about the same soundstage? Thx

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #9,174 of 10,196
I think those who enjoy the NH enjoy the marketing more than the product. If Skylar didn't post all that stuff about accuracy people would say it's a mess. I think the NH is an absolute mess, mids drowned out, too much mid bass, treble is so uneven, huge peaks, dips trying to be smoothed over by the mid bass and cup reverb. That said it didnt stop me listening to it and owning it for 6 months. It was easy to drive, the driver itself was good, fostex drivers are great. They were so comfortable, I loved the look, build of it.

The whole speaker presentation doesn't work in headphones, especially one that was basically closed, with a little bit of controlled air flow. The only headphone I've heard that sound closer to speakers is the Verum One, which funny enough was made by a speaker builder. If Audioquest gave Sylar soke more time, I reckon he couldve came up with something better.

Technically nighthawk was a failed project but I don't really see it like that, it was interesting, the design had innovation, it looked good, smelled good(IMO) it just didn't have the right housing for the driver.

Dec 4, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #9,175 of 10,196
I think those who enjoy the NH enjoy the marketing more than the product. If Skylar didn't post all that stuff about accuracy people would say it's a mess. I think the NH is an absolute mess, mids drowned out, too much mid bass, treble is so uneven, huge peaks, dips trying to be smoothed over by the mid bass and cup reverb. That said it didnt stop me listening to it and owning it for 6 months. It was easy to drive, the driver itself was good, fostex drivers are great. They were so comfortable, I loved the look, build of it.

The whole speaker presentation doesn't work in headphones, especially one that was basically closed, with a little bit of controlled air flow. The only headphone I've heard that sound closer to speakers is the Verum One, which funny enough was made by a speaker builder. If Audioquest gave Sylar soke more time, I reckon he couldve came up with something better.

Technically nighthawk was a failed project but I don't really see it like that, it was interesting, the design had innovation, it looked good, smelled good(IMO) it just didn't have the right housing for the driver.

That's a bold statement. Many people didn't like the NightHawks right from the start, despite the marketing and postings by Skyler. So basically you are saying: in reality nobody likes the NightHawks or the few who do don't like them for the right reasons. That's pretty ridiculous :)
I think it is safe to say that those who have kept them and post positively about them in this thread are the people who really like them, despite the negative reviews, negative comments on this site/this thread and despite the marketing.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #9,176 of 10,196
That's a bold statement. Many people didn't like the NightHawks right from the start, despite the marketing and postings by Skyler. So basically you are saying: in reality nobody likes the NightHawks or the few who do don't like them for the right reasons. That's pretty ridiculous :)
Not really. If you look at the early impressions most people didn't like them, their responses were the same as they are now, too muddy, too narrow.

After a while, the website started becoming the topic, you had one guy who worked for audioquest who kept sharing claims of accuracy then people started to buy into it because it was a different approach.

Yes some people like them but the majority don't. I did find in the real world, the only people who liked them never tried a high end rig or heard a good FR while MANY experienced ears right away, didn't like them because of their issues, makes sense they're more made doe the consumer market and don't compete with hifi gear IMO. That said some liked aspects of them, it's a mixed bag.

So no im not saying nobody likes them, I'm saying what I've seen personally.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #9,177 of 10,196
Not really. If you look at the early impressions most people didn't like them, their responses were the same as they are now, too muddy, too narrow.

After a while, the website started becoming the topic, you had one guy who worked for audioquest who kept sharing claims of accuracy then people started to buy into it because it was a different approach.

Yes some people like them but the majority don't. I did find in the real world, the only people who liked them never tried a high end rig or heard a good FR while MANY experienced ears right away, didn't like them because of their issues, makes sense they're more made doe the consumer market and don't compete with hifi gear IMO. That said some liked aspects of them, it's a mixed bag.

I beg to differ - went to Mook Audio show and compare with many other headphones - it was my 1st serious over ear headphones purchase - during that time ZMF had not released Atticus and Eikon yet. The NH is still in rotation with my other headphones (Atticus and Eikon), sold my 1770 which was bought after this.

Not sure about break in, but it sounded less dark after many years of usage and I missed the original dark sound.

Also those experienced ears probably have hearing damage from too much concerts that they find the NH too dark or they are older and their hearing is less sensitive

ps: I had a hearing test done recently - hearing capability is in the top percentile range across the frequency spectrum at -3db to -6db

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #9,178 of 10,196
I beg to differ - went to Mook Audio show and compare with many other headphones - it was my 1st serious over ear headphones purchase - during that time ZMF had not released Atticus and Eikon yet. The NH is still in rotation with my other headphones (Atticus and Eikon), sold my 1770 which was bought after this

They sound less, dark because you're adjusted to them. It happens to a lot of headphones. I never found the NH that dark personally as many did. I heard their peaks quite easily but the mid bass did drown out a lot of their imperfections.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #9,179 of 10,196

Well speaking for myself, I like them despite the obvious flaws in their frequency response. Just as I like the D5000s very much, despite their unnatural bright tonality. With both the D5000s and NightHawks I think the flaws enhance the strong points in their sound, if you know what I mean. I'd pick the NightHawks (and the D5000s) over the Denon D7200s any time, even if the D7200s are technically superior and better balanced. And I think there are more head-fi'er who just fall in love with a sound character knowing that it is flawed of colored but nevertheless very likeable.

Dec 4, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #9,180 of 10,196
They sound less, dark because you're adjusted to them. It happens to a lot of headphones. I never found the NH that dark personally as many did. I heard their peaks quite easily but the mid bass did drown out a lot of their imperfections.

Interesting views.

As for my own view, the Nighthawk probably gets 10% of my listening time, so I am certain that I am not adjusting to its sound. If anything, coming from the neutral HD-600 or MX-4, they should sound darker than they really are. I apply some EQ (nothing much, something that resulted from testing and my own preference) from the RME ADI-2 and I quite like what I hear. As noted above, the Nighthawk takes EQ very well. So this is why it stays in my collection and I do not share the view that it is a failed headphone and only used by those who have not heard better headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back