AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 28, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #8,701 of 10,196
My impressions after two months of using NH: These headphones are very difficult to describe; they keep surprising me all the time. With my other cans (HE 400i, HD6XX, Meze 99 Classics) I can always predict how something is going to sound, but not with these headphones. When I expect recessed mids and overbearing bass from certain recordings that I listened to hundreds of times, what I get from NH is heavenly, neutral, natural, blissful sound! And vice versa - when I expect something soft, more or less neutral and wide, I get a distant, muffled sound with recessed mids. They are totally unpredictable! They are like cats: they come to you only when THEY want! Among other things, that's the reasons why I like them. Not to mention, the most comfortable cans I've ever put on my head. One thing is for sure: they are much more source dependent than any other cans I've ever used. Something really special that will stay in my collection for years and years! And they are so addictive: two nights ago, I started listening at 8PM and I planned to do it for about two hours. I ended up wearing NH at 1AM, still being hungry for more!

Mar 29, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #8,704 of 10,196
Incredibly comfortable. So comfy that, in combination with the sound they produce, they can easily put you to sleep!

...in a good way... not that they are boring.

Mar 30, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #8,707 of 10,196
Mar 31, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #8,708 of 10,196
Hi everyone. I just joined Clan Nighthawk today. I find that I prefer the microsuede pads over the pleather. What change could I expect from the hybrid pads, and would it be worth it to get them?

Mar 31, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #8,709 of 10,196
Hi everyone. I just joined Clan Nighthawk today. I find that I prefer the microsuede pads over the pleather. What change could I expect from the hybrid pads, and would it be worth it to get them?
Nice not overly done treble response from the microsuede. Same deep bass response from the pleather pads.

Mar 31, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #8,710 of 10,196
simoncalclap.gif

Welcome aboard!

Mar 31, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #8,711 of 10,196
6165FDF4-027C-48EA-B81F-7FB31B9CEDAD.jpeg
Got the Hawks, and they pair great with my converted semi portable smsl M9. If anyone wants a balanced cable for the hawks, the one for the hd700 actually works perfectly. Sold by kk cable on amazon for $60 Way better than the stock crap cable imo. Its ironic that the worst part of the hawks is the cable, especially considering that is audioquest’s claim to fame lol. I love these headphones, and of all the ones I own they fit my preference the best. No desire at all to eq. That is a first for me.

Mar 31, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #8,712 of 10,196
Got the Hawks, and they pair great with my converted semi portable smsl M9. If anyone wants a balanced cable for the hawks, the one for the hd700 actually works perfectly. Sold by kk cable on amazon for $60 Way better than the stock crap cable imo. Its ironic that the worst part of the hawks is the cable, especially considering that is audioquest’s claim to fame lol. I love these headphones, and of all the ones I own they fit my preference the best. No desire at all to eq. That is a first for me.
Beautiful cable mate, well coupled with the Carbon NH's! Yeah - Good times a head for you!

Anyone else notice cable prices are on the rise lately, even from China?!

Mar 31, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #8,713 of 10,196
Nice not overly done treble response from the microsuede. Same deep bass response from the pleather pads.

Thanks for the response! I'll consider getting the hybrid pads, but I don't think it will be a priority for me. I thought that the boost pads had just a bit too much bass for me, while the microsuedes really brought out the midrange and treble. At the same time, the NH with the microsuedes seem to just be missing that little something in the low end that the boost pads had, and that the hybrid pads might give it. I can't explain it that well 'cuz Nighthawks are weird. I love 'em.

Mar 31, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #8,714 of 10,196
Thanks for the response! I'll consider getting the hybrid pads, but I don't think it will be a priority for me. I thought that the boost pads had just a bit too much bass for me, while the microsuedes really brought out the midrange and treble. At the same time, the NH with the microsuedes seem to just be missing that little something in the low end that the boost pads had, and that the hybrid pads might give it. I can't explain it that well 'cuz Nighthawks are weird. I love 'em.
I like hybrid pads for modern current genres, and MS for jazz and classical

Mar 31, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #8,715 of 10,196
I like hybrid pads for modern current genres, and MS for jazz and classical

Agreed. I've only had the original hybrid pads, and I really haven't ever had a desire to try any others (well, apart from during the burn in period, if you believe in that or not!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back