AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 1, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #8,716 of 10,196
Open your mind...
openyourmind.gif

Apr 1, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #8,717 of 10,196
Agreed. I've only had the original hybrid pads, and I really haven't ever had a desire to try any others (well, apart from during the burn in period, if you believe in that or not!).

Skylar helped me when I had all that initial trouble with the original cables and had the new one sent before they were available, AQ sent me a package that included the new rubbery cable and the Ultrasuede and the Pleather pads. This was almost two and a half years ago. In all that time I have never felt the desire to try the Pleather (Boost) pads. I did use the Ultrasueda a couple of summers ago when it was very hot but when the weather cooled the original Hybrids went back on. Now I just use buds when it is hot so the Hybrids will stay on until they become unusable.

I feel bad that I did not end up liking the new rubbery cable.... too short... too thick... and I prefer cables with no mic. Luckily I have been very happy with my $10 Sennheiser HD497 cable from China (the flexible one not the stiff one). AND now I also have my nice balanced cable from MavisModz. (Ebay seller based in UK)

s-l1600.jpg

Apr 1, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #8,718 of 10,196
Apr 1, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #8,719 of 10,196
Skylar helped me when I had all that initial trouble with the original cables and had the new one sent before they were available, AQ sent me a package that included the new rubbery cable and the Ultrasuede and the Pleather pads. This was almost two and a half years ago. In all that time I have never felt the desire to try the Pleather (Boost) pads. I did use the Ultrasueda a couple of summers ago when it was very hot but when the weather cooled the original Hybrids went back on. Now I just use buds when it is hot so the Hybrids will stay on until they become unusable.

I feel bad that I did not end up liking the new rubbery cable.... too short... too thick... and I prefer cables with no mic. Luckily I have been very happy with my $10 Sennheiser HD497 cable from China (the flexible one not the stiff one). AND now I also have my nice balanced cable from MavisModz. (Ebay seller based in UK)

s-l1600.jpg
Which Sennheiser HD497 cable from China do you mean? Do you have an ebay link?

Apr 1, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #8,720 of 10,196

s-l1600.jpg

If I get the 2.5mm termination at the below, does that make it a balanced cable?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Hea...m=173389707344&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Apr 1, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #8,721 of 10,196

s-l1600.jpg
Can vouch for MavisModz, does good work, I have one for my Edition X, which I can use with the NH's. Great quality and the delivery times are very decent!

Apr 1, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #8,722 of 10,196

Mine is 2.5mm balanced. If you have any questions or concerns you should contact the seller. Yours will have to ship a long way.

I think your link is a bit different than the one I used. I chose a copper option.

Apr 2, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #8,724 of 10,196
Haven’t tried tubes with my bird yet but then again I’ve never come across a tube amp that I prefered over a wellfunctioning ss. Oh well we can’t all be eating liquorice and dill! Tastes differ eh?
I do however feel that the bird gives off something akin to tubes just with it’s tonality ie it makes bright and abrassive albums sound wonderful and euphonic vs something like an hd7/800 that effectively points fingers at all the rough patches.
When all else fails? Check out the bird:wink:

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #8,725 of 10,196
Which one has the most present vocals, most balanced mid bass, most realism to the sound with the least amount of grain; the old wood Nighthawks, present carbon Nighthawks or the Nightowls? And with what earpad combination?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #8,726 of 10,196
Which Sennheiser HD497 cable from China do you mean? Do you have an ebay link?

Sorry I missed this yesterday. I will try to find a link tomorrow...not at my PC right now.

Apr 2, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #8,727 of 10,196
Which one has the most present vocals, most balanced mid bass, most realism to the sound with the least amount of grain; the old wood Nighthawks, present carbon Nighthawks or the Nightowls? And with what earpad combination?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Nightowl most present mids. Hybrid pads I find have balanced midbass on the Owl. Due to forwardness, bb comparison, of mids the volume used is less than on Hawk so less overall based is presented as a result. Hybrid pads are most natural sounding

Apr 2, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #8,728 of 10,196
The Nightowl has the more balanced sound and much better mids imo. The Nighthawk's mids sound to distant and flushed out at times where as the Nightowl is more balanced in the midrange, that's one of the main reasons I like the Owl over the NH.

The one thing the NH has over the Owl is a larger soundstage but even then it's not that much bigger and the Owl sounds more coherent overall to me. Both are good headphones but the Nightowl is the better sounding and more refined of the 2 imo.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #8,729 of 10,196
The Nightowl has the more balanced sound and much better mids imo. The Nighthawk's mids sound to distant and flushed out at times where as the Nightowl is more balanced in the midrange, that's one of the main reasons I like the Owl over the NH.

The one thing the NH has over the Owl is a larger soundstage but even then it's not that much bigger and the Owl sounds more coherent overall to me. Both are good headphones but the Nightowl is the better sounding and more refined of the 2 imo.
Thank you guys.

How would the vocal emphasis and natural tonality compare to the HD 650?

Apr 4, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #8,730 of 10,196

Users who are viewing this thread

Back