AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 28, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #8,011 of 10,196
Hi everyone!

I was always a fan of design and effort skylar put on nighthawks. I red every info available. Then I went to audition nighthawks with high expectations. I did not like them. Found them way too dark. And as a hd600/jvc dx1000 fan I thought I'd enjoy darker headphones. Seems I did not. Later I realized such peculiar tuning takes a longer than usual to get used to.

Years later I ran into other headphone. Very dark sounding headphones on initial listen. Took me a couple of weeks to get accustomed to the sound. And after that my other headphones started to sound "wrong" and artificially bright. My impressions have been very similar to people who got affected by aq.

Thought I'd post this here on case some of you are looking for headphones that are dark-neutral, more than hd650. I know headphones with such signature is hard to find.

So anyway... If you're looking for a conplimentary headphones for nighthawks you might like these:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ollo-audio-pro-headphones-from-slovenia.888663/

Sep 28, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #8,012 of 10,196
Hi everyone!

I was always a fan of design and effort skylar put on nighthawks. I red every info available. Then I went to audition nighthawks with high expectations. I did not like them. Found them way too dark. And as a hd600/jvc dx1000 fan I thought I'd enjoy darker headphones. Seems I did not. Later I realized such peculiar tuning takes a longer than usual to get used to.

Years later I ran into other headphone. Very dark sounding headphones on initial listen. Took me a couple of weeks to get accustomed to the sound. And after that my other headphones started to sound "wrong" and artificially bright. My impressions have been very similar to people who got affected by aq.

Thought I'd post this here on case some of you are looking for headphones that are dark-neutral, more than hd650. I know headphones with such signature is hard to find.

So anyway... If you're looking for a conplimentary headphones for nighthawks you might like these:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ollo-audio-pro-headphones-from-slovenia.888663/
Yea, you are right.
NH is not for every one, but for only strong and brave heart which has been trained for considerable time and ready to accept the hard food that is not for everybody.

Oct 1, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #8,016 of 10,196
Anyone else have a 3d printer or do designs for them? Was wondering about nighthawk mods since it used 3d printer parts, wonder if it would be possible to print some kind of cup or cover for the speaker to make these usable as closed backs in public. If anyone can create something like that they can upload on thingverse, I'd print it and test it out on my 3d printer

Oct 1, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #8,017 of 10,196
Closing up the NH changes to sound too much. Just dont do it.

Oct 1, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #8,018 of 10,196
Closing up the NH changes to sound too much. Just dont do it.

You used them closed?

Lol anyway I don’t really care about changing the sound signature for the occasional use while out and about. I don’t like the feel of iems and I don’t own any closed backs besides the Atticus which I’m not taking outside, so I’m still interested in trying a closed back mod on the nighthawks if anyone can put together the design

Oct 1, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #8,019 of 10,196
You used them closed?

Lol anyway I don’t really care about changing the sound signature for the occasional use while out and about. I don’t like the feel of iems and I don’t own any closed backs besides the Atticus which I’m not taking outside, so I’m still interested in trying a closed back mod on the nighthawks if anyone can put together the design
That's not how it works. An opened back headphone will just sound terrible if you simply close the opening. For the designer of Nighthawk it took a long development process to make a closed version. It is available and called Nightowl.

Oct 1, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #8,020 of 10,196
That's not how it works. An opened back headphone will just sound terrible if you simply close the opening. For the designer of Nighthawk it took a long development process to make a closed version. It is available and called Nightowl.

I think you’re missing the point as I said above I don’t care about the change in sound because it’s for the occasional usage outside not critical listening. And to a lot of people the nighthawks tuning sounds terrible already, so...

Also I agree that editing most open backs would make a huge difference, but the nighthawks are closer to closed backs than they are to open already (in terms of sound, not leakage). Take your hand and cover up the driver and tell me how different they sound, not much different since the soundstage is already small and the treble is extremely rolled off by default.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #8,023 of 10,196
Oct 3, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #8,024 of 10,196
Oct 3, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #8,025 of 10,196
Not sure why that had to be announced. It's not like typing the word actually does anything.
It is an emotional pressure on us 'bad guys' who don't understand a genius. Now we all should feel bad. For someone who is emotionally immature it is easier to do this instead of admitting he/she was wrong or had a bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back