AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 12, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #7,891 of 10,196
Well, I was using my 'hawks witht he original cable last night and the sound kept on cutting out on the left side as I moved my head around. I was actually thinking about getting another cable just recently and now this! I was all up for getting another audioquest one but then read reviews about how the original cable is not very reliable. However, I also wonder if it may be the connector in the headphone cup itself. Is this hard to find out? Have others had this issue and just bought a new cable and viola? I sort of want to try with a cheap one just to check, as I do not have any other cables to test it with.

Aug 12, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #7,892 of 10,196
Well, I was using my 'hawks witht he original cable last night and the sound kept on cutting out on the left side as I moved my head around. I was actually thinking about getting another cable just recently and now this! I was all up for getting another audioquest one but then read reviews about how the original cable is not very reliable. However, I also wonder if it may be the connector in the headphone cup itself. Is this hard to find out? Have others had this issue and just bought a new cable and viola? I sort of want to try with a cheap one just to check, as I do not have any other cables to test it with.

Chances are it's the cable or the connection. First try cleaning both parts of the connection with Deoxit. The original cables are silver I believe, and it tarnish is reducing the connection reliability.

Aug 12, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #7,893 of 10,196
Chances are it's the cable or the connection. First try cleaning both parts of the connection with Deoxit. The original cables are silver I believe, and it tarnish is reducing the connection reliability.
Thanks for the reminder! Will clean and see how i go. Honestly, while I do not want to get into a cable quality debate, I have read that some people have had no noticeable change in sound quality by using cheap cables bought overseas. I must admit that the length and construction of the original cord bother me. I find it hard to believe that the cord would make a noticeable difference in sound quality but....

Aug 12, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #7,894 of 10,196
Thanks for the reminder! Will clean and see how i go. Honestly, while I do not want to get into a cable quality debate, I have read that some people have had no noticeable change in sound quality by using cheap cables bought overseas. I must admit that the length and construction of the original cord bother me. I find it hard to believe that the cord would make a noticeable difference in sound quality but....

My favorite cables for my Sennheiser HD 650 headphones cost $55

Aug 12, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #7,895 of 10,196
The original NH came with two cables...try the other one.
If you only have one...reverse the connectors at the earcups and see if the problem goes to the other ear. (It should if its a cable problem) I ended up getting a HD-700 cable...mainly because I wanted a fixed 1/4 connector on the feed side.

Bern

Aug 12, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #7,896 of 10,196

For me it was a bad solder at the plug end... pretty obvious when the plug broke right off when removing it from the amp for the first time....lol. It had been cutting out before that but I thought it was foobars fault.. that the pc was too busy.... but that was not the case.

Did you not receive the thinner second cable? The original wood color NH came with the long silver cable and with a thinner cable. The NH carbon comes with a short thick cable.

When mine broke I ordered a $10 cable from ebay and I actually still use it. It is a Sennheiser HD497 cable... less expensive than an HD700 cable would be. Both fit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacem...re-New-/161804815313?var=&hash=item25ac518bd1

I am happy with this because it is soft and flexible and I wanted the shorter length. There should be similar listings with other lengths. I do have one that is a little longer as well

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #7,897 of 10,196
Wow, thanks guys for all the great feedback. I will now invest time in all those great ideas!
The other cable that came with the hawks....it sounds terrible! Like all the midrange has been sucked out of the sound. I honestly think that they are broken themselves. I am really hoping that the issue is not the female connector in the headphone itself. Must make sure to check by switching left and right cables when I get home from work.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #7,898 of 10,196
Amp comparison time!

I have now owned the Audioquest Nighthawks for around 8 months. For the first 4 months I drove it with an Audioquest Dragonfly (v1.0), and for the next 4 months I drove it with a Grace Design m9xx.

I can confidently say that I love both amps. At first, when I switched to the m9xx, I expected a complete upgrade; all aspects of sound to be better in every way. I realize now how that expectation was unreasonable. Every album is different, with a different production style that highlights certain aspects of certain amps. The following is a comparison between the two amps, with thoughts on various aspects of sound quality for these different recordings.

Grace m9xx:
This is a fantastic amp that sounds good with the Nighthawk on almost every recording. The highs are very natural and detailed compared to the Dragonfly 1.0. Some recordings that are unlistenable on the Dragonfly because of high treble presence and importance in the music (ex. Jordan: The Comeback by Prefab Sprout) sound quite pleasant on the m9xx. The best way I can describe it is, when you hear a high-pitched sound on the Dragonfly, you don't know what it is. It hits your ear with a crackle and your brain has to work to recognize the instrument. With the m9xx, it enters your ear and you know, "Oh, that's a synth playing a sawtooth wave."

The single best-sounding album I've heard through the m9xx-Nighthawk combo is On Land And In The Sea by Cardiacs. The album's EQ matches perfectly, and the m9xx can really handle the energy put out by Cardiacs' flavour of prog-punk, keeping you engaged with each and every emotional outburst. By the time it's over I feel equally exhausted and happy.

In many ways, switching to the m9xx was a great relief. I grew tired of the Dragonfly's flaws—the detail retrieval was lacking, especially in the treble region, and it had a bad handle on energetic music. The m9xx performs these tasks quite well. However…

AQ Dragonfly v1.0:
The Dragonfly wipes the floor with the m9xx at three things: bass, macrodynamics, and soundstage. Any recording that masters one of these elements of music reproduction will sound great on the Dragonfly, so long as it doesn't also highlight any of the Dragonfly's glaring flaws. Let's look at a few examples:

For bass: Irresistible Bliss by Soul Coughing.
What a funky record. This album really highlights the beautiful bass on the Dragonfly, rocking the house and making the Nighthawks come alive. Sebastian Steinberg's bass playing captures my imagination with its neverending genius, and I start to feel things I never before imagined were possible from the sheer unstoppable power of those notes. Not to mention how the frequent keyboard interjections highlight the Dragonfly-Nighthawk's excellent soundstage properties, creating sheets of fragile beauty for textural/emotional contrast. And the drums are played with great dynamic prowess, coming in and changing things up at all the right times to drive the songs forward. The mastering on this album is a perfect match.

For atmosphere: I Don't Like ****, I Don't Go Outside: An Album By Earl Sweatshirt.
I didn't get this album until I heard it on the Dragonfly-Nighthawk. The dark, sparse production transports you to an entirely new world with incredible emotional potency. Every texture is placed just so, and the Dragonfly makes you care—the exhaustion and darkness overwhelms. On the m9xx, it doesn't feel special—I'm not emotionally involved like I should be. Unfortunately for the Dragonfly, there's one particularly grating high pitched sound in the song Grief that hits the amp where it hurts. God, that sound is so painful on this setup. But it doesn't matter because the atmosphere on the rest of the album sounds so good.

For macrodynamics, and everything else: Plastic Beach by Gorillaz.
Listening to this album on the m9xx is the saddest thing, because I KNOW what Plastic Beach is capable of, but the m9xx just ruins it. Plastic Beach-Dragonfly-Nighthawk is the single best album-gear-headphone match I've ever heard.

First, the bass—in just the second track, you get multiple layers of pungent synth bass that extends REALLY deep. Bass quality is consistently mesmerizing throughout.

Second—the soundstage. Every little synth extends into infinity all around you in a beautiful dance of perfection. It's like standing on a rock in the middle of a foggy lake with sound coming from every direction as far out as your ears can perceive it.

Third, the macrodynamics. That swell in Empire Ants is one of the most euphoric moments in music history. It starts to get louder, and you think, "Woah, this is getting intense," and then it starts to transition and you think, "No way is it going to get as loud as I think it will," and then the bass comes in and it's even louder than THAT. It just captures my complete, devoted attention in a way most albums can only dream of.

One more moment: in Some Kind Of Nature, a sad choir reveals itself out of a gigantic wall of synths and piano and the gravity of the realization feels nothing short of religious. Okay, I'm done now.

In short, the Dragonfly is a fun piece of hardware that has bursts of brilliance despite significant limitations which make many albums hard to listen to, while the m9xx is a consistently well-performing device with middle-of-the-road bass quality and soundstage, but incredibly pleasing treble detail. I like the m9xx a lot more overall, so I need a really compelling reason to go back to the Dragonfly now that I'm used to decent microdetail. But sometimes I feel like being blown away and it's hard for an all-rounder amp to do that.

I hope this helps Nighthawk owners considering one of these amps in the future.
Hoping the Red is everything and more.

I've been using the Dragonfly Red with the Nighthawks for a few days now—it's everything and more. Subjectively, bass quality is around 1.5x as good as the original Dragonfly (which was itself much better than the bass on the m9xx, for a relative comparison). The Red makes the soundstage even more tangible, mystical, and enjoyable than the original Dragonfly, due mainly to how much better it is at making sense of lots of simultaneous instruments and their reverb in space. (EDIT: Further time spent with the DFR alone has revealed a limitation in perceived depth compared to the original dragonfly—using a standalone amp negates this flaw making it universally better overall.) Treble quality is beyond anything I ever expected, and while the m9xx does this sound at 3:42 in Mercury Rev's Cartwheel () better at high volumes, there are many other songs that sound better in the treble region on the DFR. For the first time since getting my Nighthawk, I don't feel like I'm missing anything in particular, and I'm enjoying albums I haven't been able to get into previously because I'm getting hooked by all these details in the sound. Seriously, the detail retrieval is incredible—I'm hearing little background sounds where instruments are that I never knew were in the recording on the other two amps. Macrodynamics are a hair better than my memory of the original Dragonfly, though it stood out more on that amp because it was the one thing it did really well. Everything's so smooth and liquid on the Red, but in a natural way that doesn't distract (I found this quality was so pronounced on the CTH+SDAC that I grew tired of it [that amp did not synergize well with the Nighthawk]).

Like the original Dragonfly, the soundstage has a focal point 2 inches from your nose that you have to concentrate on to get the full effect, similar to those side-by-side 3D pictures. Over time I've realized the importance of getting your brain into an accepting state of mind to properly evaluate soundstage and imaging—meditation helps immensely in this regard. Compared to the original Dragonfly, I have an easier time fooling my brain into believing in this 3D space; I never could find it on the m9xx. (EDIT: Going back to the original dragonfly is difficult after spending time with the Red. Even though I still believe the 2012 'fly has a deeper soundstage that feels really good when you're completely immersed, getting there is a chore. The red just outclasses it, and using a standalone amp really negates this difference.)

I love this combo and don't plan on using either of my old amps again.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #7,899 of 10,196
For me it was a bad solder at the plug end... pretty obvious when the plug broke right off when removing it from the amp for the first time....lol. It had been cutting out before that but I thought it was foobars fault.. that the pc was too busy.... but that was not the case.

Did you not receive the thinner second cable? The original wood color NH came with the long silver cable and with a thinner cable. The NH carbon comes with a short thick cable.

When mine broke I ordered a $10 cable from ebay and I actually still use it. It is a Sennheiser HD497 cable... less expensive than an HD700 cable would be. Both fit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacem...re-New-/161804815313?var=&hash=item25ac518bd1

I am happy with this because it is soft and flexible and I wanted the shorter length. There should be similar listings with other lengths. I do have one that is a little longer as well
Cheers mate, went and bought one of these. For that price, it is worth having even if I can get the original cord to work.

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #7,900 of 10,196
First I've heard of it breaking at the headphone connects, but I wouldn't be shocked if it did. Those cables that came with the wooden headphones were pretty bad. Both of mine still work oddly enough.

Speaking of cables, does anybody know of one that includes a microphone? I'd like to use these when gaming with friends and I don't exactly want to install a Mod Mic and risk damage. I know Auidoquest makes one, but nobody seems to like it and I can't track down any others.

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #7,901 of 10,196
First I've heard of it breaking at the headphone connects, but I wouldn't be shocked if it did. Those cables that came with the wooden headphones were pretty bad. Both of mine still work oddly enough.

Speaking of cables, does anybody know of one that includes a microphone? I'd like to use these when gaming with friends and I don't exactly want to install a Mod Mic and risk damage. I know Auidoquest makes one, but nobody seems to like it and I can't track down any others.
In my quick search on ebay, I found one that comes with a mic and push button. You have to search for HD700 cables.

Aug 13, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #7,902 of 10,196
Well, it is not the female input jack, thank god. I swapped the sides of the cable and it cut out on the other side, so definitely the cable. Tried cleaning the ends to no avail. I also tried the other cable that it came with (the thin one) and that one is broken at the jack connection! Twisting it and such gives me a true connection, but otherwise the sound is all washed out and the mid range is sucked out - bad connection. For a company that makes cables, they really screwed the pooch with the ones I have. Out of the dozens of headphones that I have owned, I have never had a cable fail. Now I have two from the same manufacturer and from the same product! What are the odds! Quite disappointed, really.

Aug 13, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #7,903 of 10,196
Well, it is not the female input jack, thank god. I swapped the sides of the cable and it cut out on the other side, so definitely the cable. Tried cleaning the ends to no avail. I also tried the other cable that it came with (the thin one) and that one is broken at the jack connection! Twisting it and such gives me a true connection, but otherwise the sound is all washed out and the mid range is sucked out - bad connection. For a company that makes cables, they really screwed the pooch with the ones I have. Out of the dozens of headphones that I have owned, I have never had a cable fail. Now I have two from the same manufacturer and from the same product! What are the odds! Quite disappointed, really.
I treated my original cable with ultra-care...and still had it fail eventually. Their 3.5mm to 1/4' adapter wasn't much better. You should be all set with the replacement cable you ordered.

Bern

Aug 13, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #7,904 of 10,196

My thin cable still works but I cannot stand the microphonics, which is one reason I am very happy with my HD497 replacement cable. I have not felt the need to get anything more expensive.

They are a cable company but had never made headphone cables. How often does a speaker cable or a stereo component cable get plugged in and out? ...like.. never...

I have never had a cable fail either except for that one which was meant to be more premium than any others I have. My husband has it at work somewhere and was thinking about putting a balanced end on it. He has balanced gear. I don't. I think he will do a better soldering job than they did.

When mine failed so quickly, Skylar messaged me and had the new thick cable sent to me... it was not even available yet except as part of a review sample pack which included the new pads as well.. the ultrasuede and the pleather. So I do feel that I was very lucky. He was the heart of that company for us. I miss his input here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back