AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 19, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #7,606 of 10,194
I have to say, I've been listening to these with a Schiit Lyr 3 and OMG, I love what I am hearing. Different tube flavors are wonderful. I've settled on a Sylvania 6sn7, and the huge stage, wide and deep with specific layering of depth is addictive. These Nighthawks reveal it all. They may not be perfect for everyone, but for now, they are for me. Really addictive sound.

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #7,607 of 10,194
It's Official. I got this email today...

"Hello AudioQuest Dealer,
After much thought and discussion, AQ is leaving the headphone category and will stop production of the NightHawk and NightOwl headphones. These have been very popular, and we have sold tens of thousands of pairs, but to fully develop the range would take all our efforts away from our cable business, which is why we are all here in the first place! Therefore, once we have sold out existing stocks we will not be ordering more from the factory.
This will be sad news for many of you, and we are very grateful for all of the effort that you put into making these a global success for AudioQuest. The reviews and dealer acceptance have been fantastic, which only makes the next stage easier for us all: we now have an opportunity for you all to take part in a great sell-out action!"

$399.95 is the new Minimum Advertised Price. Sad to see a unique product that defied convention being eliminated.

Apr 19, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #7,608 of 10,194

After much thought and discussion, AQ is leaving the headphone category and will stop production of the NightHawk and NightOwl headphones. These have been very popular, and we have sold tens of thousands of pairs, but to fully develop the range would take all our efforts away from our cable business, which is why we are all here in the first place! Therefore, once we have sold out existing stocks we will not be ordering more from the factory.
This will be sad news for many of you, and we are very grateful for all of the effort that you put into making these a global success for AudioQuest. The reviews and dealer acceptance have been fantastic, which only makes the next stage easier for us all: we now have an opportunity for you all to take part in a great sell-out action!"

$399.95 is the new Minimum Advertised Price. Sad to see a unique product that defied convention being eliminated.
Thx...sort of guessed that was happening. Especially after Skylar left. I bought a used Nighthawk (here on Head-Fi) and liked it so much I bought another one new.

Bern

Apr 19, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #7,609 of 10,194

A sad day indeed.:sob:

Apr 19, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #7,611 of 10,194
Thx...sort of guessed that was happening. Especially after Skylar left. I bought a used Nighthawk (here on Head-Fi) and liked it so much I bought another one new.

Bern
Every time something good comes along, it goes away.

Apr 20, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #7,612 of 10,194

Sad news indeed but not quite unexpected.
I am thinking about buying another pair for the future.
(Might even be a good investment if it won't be available anymore.)

Apr 20, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #7,613 of 10,194
Not a fan of hundred dollar cables, but I picked up a pair of their Night Owl since based on what I've read about them. Was thinking of picking up their Night Hawk as well, we'll see.

Thanks for the heads up that these are going off market.

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #7,615 of 10,194
Indeed, I was hoping that they would improve on the model and take it to the next level.

How? Without Skyler they have nothing. This was inevitable.

Apr 20, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #7,617 of 10,194
Pretty weird to give up headphones for cables. Like giving up on streaming to concentrate on CD's.

Apr 20, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #7,618 of 10,194
Pretty weird to give up headphones for cables. Like giving up on streaming to concentrate on CD's.
Not really. Audioquest is and has been a cable company. They went into headphones as Skyler was a member of the company. It was his design and work. He's gone, therefore they no longer have a need to make headphones

Apr 20, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #7,619 of 10,194
Not really. Audioquest is and has been a cable company. They went into headphones as Skyler was a member of the company. It was his design and work. He's gone, therefore they no longer have a need to make headphones
If making money is no longer a priority, then yeah, I agree. How many people still buy exotic cables? I'm sure they pulled a in a few bucks with the NightHawk and NIghtOwl. Did Skylar own the patents? If not, they could copy the design and move forward.

Apr 20, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #7,620 of 10,194
If making money is no longer a priority, then yeah, I agree. How many people still buy exotic cables? I'm sure they pulled a in a few bucks with the NightHawk and NIghtOwl. Did Skylar own the patents? If not, they could copy the design and move forward.
They don't have the guys to move forward with it. Skylar WAS the guy. He was discussing a possible portable in the near future before deciding to part ways. They are exclusively a cable company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back