AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 2, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #7,591 of 10,196
If anyone is looking for a pair of NightHawks in Atlantic Canada, Glubes has a demo pair on for $349.00. I bought the NightOwls.:)
Also, the headphone Bar in Vancouver has them on sale for $499.00.

Shane D

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #7,592 of 10,196
Yeah, looks like music direct, among others, are selling both the NightOwl and Nighthawk Carbon for $399. Wonder if Audioquest is getting ready to release to a new headphone. That's a pretty steep discount.

Apr 3, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #7,593 of 10,196
Yeah, looks like music direct, among others, are selling both the NightOwl and Nighthawk Carbon for $399. Wonder if Audioquest is getting ready to release to a new headphone. That's a pretty steep discount.
With Skylar no longer with the company, my guess is they're abandoning the headphone game and focusing on cables and dragonflys. total guess on my part though...

Apr 3, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #7,594 of 10,196
With Skylar no longer with the company, my guess is they're abandoning the headphone game and focusing on cables and dragonflys. total guess on my part though...

That was what I heard. They could not have done these without him.

Apr 3, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #7,596 of 10,196
The Nighthawk is completely Skylar's child. AQ either finds other headphone engineers to create new headphones (unlikely) or abandons the whole idea. A true NH successor can only come from Skylar himself which obviously won't be an AQ headphone. I hope, we will hear from him in the future as the NH was (and is) more than an impressive first try.

Apr 3, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #7,597 of 10,196
The Nighthawk is completely Skylar's child. AQ either finds other headphone engineers to create new headphones (unlikely) or abandons the whole idea. A true NH successor can only come from Skylar himself which obviously won't be an AQ headphone. I hope, we will hear from him in the future as the NH was (and is) more than an impressive first try.

Those are the words I was trying to find. A real genius I think.

Apr 3, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #7,598 of 10,196
Apr 3, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #7,599 of 10,196
Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #7,600 of 10,196
What???? The same Skylar Gray?

edited to add: It really is him. I had no idea he had done this. Six years ago.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised too. Found it on his linkedin page. Pretty impressive.

Apr 3, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #7,601 of 10,196

Truth. Seriously. I'm still waiting for those Skylar IEMs from whichever brand...Imma keep waiting! Mr. Gray, do you hear me!? Imma keep waiting! In the meantime I decided to propose to my NightHawks. We're bound for audio life. :o2smile:

Apr 3, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #7,602 of 10,196
Truth. Seriously. I'm still waiting for those Skylar IEMs from whichever brand...Imma keep waiting! Mr. Gray, do you hear me!? Imma keep waiting!

Same here! Also, I was hopeful of Skylar and AQ introducing an open-back counterpart to the NH. Unfortunately, until proven otherwise, everything is up in limbo and less likely to happen at this point in time.

Apr 7, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #7,603 of 10,196
Take care. But you'll be back some day :)

Hehe really, not much time was passing and I'm back again. :wink: Was missing my baby and ordered a Nighthawk again. Even when I think the E-mu Teak is the better phone the NH remains a very special one for me. A bit of modding with pads to tune for personal taste and voila! .. this is one of the most fantastic phones on the planet!
:) :) :)

... plus at actual prices .. a real bargain!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #7,604 of 10,196
Hehe really, not much time was passing and I'm back again. :wink: Was missing my baby and ordered a Nighthawk again. Even when I think the E-mu Teak is the better phone the NH remains a very special one for me. A bit of modding with pads to tune for personal taste and voila! .. this is one of the most fantastic phones on the planet!
:) :) :)

... plus at actual prices .. a real bargain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back