AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 27, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #6,091 of 10,196
My impression with non-broken in Owls is the bass is much more subdued that the Hawk. Just a first impression, but it was quite obvious. 
kev

Just for the record, it may sound subdued compared exclusively to the Nighthawks, but it's not subdued in terms of reference accuracy. The bass on the Owls is almost identical to my 1540's in terms of volume and impact, but it's just tighter and more defined with a little better delineation amongst low notes. Many people used to say the 1540's have bass too north of neutral, but now admit they were ahead of their time since almost all newer headphones have slightly elevated bass. The new reference seems to be that many older headphones were in actuality, bass shy.
I'm only pointing this out because I don't want anyone to skip purchasing these spectacular headphones because they erroneously think they're going to be lacking in bass.
To my ears, the Nightowls sound extremely accurate with a little warmth. The bass, to me, is simply perfect. These headphones are incredible.
As a reference on bass, I hated the Meze 99 Classics. I found their bass sloppy and bloated and it bled into the other frequencies, which were actually pretty good if you could hear them through the obtrusive bass.

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #6,092 of 10,196
Just for the record, it may sound subdued compared exclusively to the Nighthawks, but it's not subdued in terms of reference accuracy. The bass on the Owls is almost identical to my 1540's in terms of volume and impact, but it's just tighter and more defined with a little better delineation amongst low notes. Many people used to say the 1540's have bass too north of neutral, but now admit they were ahead of their time since almost all newer headphones have slightly elevated bass. The new reference seems to be that many older headphones were in actuality, bass shy.
I'm only pointing this out because I don't want anyone to skip purchasing these spectacular headphones because they erroneously think they're going to be lacking in bass.
To my ears, the Nightowls sound extremely accurate with a little warmth. The bass, to me, is simply perfect. These headphones are incredible.
As a reference on bass, I hated the Meze 99 Classics. I found their bass sloppy and bloated and it bled into the other frequencies, which were actually pretty good if you could hear them through the obtrusive bass.

Shurealltgeway does the 1540 have the same amount of sub bass as the nightowls? I'm listening to a track I really love which is "Use what you got" by the Staple Singers and the organ hardly shows up in the beginning at all and on my nightowls but it is very much a key element to the song and is very dominant on my in ear phones.

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #6,093 of 10,196
No Pads available in the UK. Also UK might not ever get the option of buying them as i was informed AUDIOQUEST is more if a B2B Company. They are much more concerned about looking after USA CUSTOMERS ONLY.

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #6,094 of 10,196
Shurealltgeway does the 1540 have the same amount of sub bass as the nightowls? I'm listening to a track I really love which is "Use what you got" by the Staple Singers and the organ hardly shows up in the beginning at all and on my nightowls but it is very much a key element to the song and is very dominant on my in ear phones.

Check Tyll's measurements...

NHs are flat pretty much flat down to 10HZ: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioQuestNightHawk2015.pdf

Shures have a major hump, start to roll at 50Hz and are 10dB down at 10Hz: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH1540.pdf

BTW, I am having zero problems hearing the low organ note (14Hz) on the Cantate Domino track Maria Wiegenlied direct from my iPhone. Perhaps you have inadvertently activated a rolled off EQ on your iPhone?

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #6,097 of 10,196
  Scroll down on the AQ website: http://personal.audioquest.com/nighthawk

Sorry i should clarify. my mistake

I dont really care for what the company says, that's their marketing pitch. I'm not saying i dont like what they say, just that its expected they praise their own technology.

i meant personal opinions for those who have real woodies and the nighthawk

sorry for confusion

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #6,098 of 10,196

Yes to my ears. They're very similar in terms of bass. The Shure's have more sub bass than mid bass. I'd say the Shure's have a tad more sub bass than the Owls with the Boost pads.

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #6,099 of 10,196
Really well, IMO. And the detail... seriously love the Z7s with classical music, to which I listen to much of the time.

The only time I've had issues with bloat on the MDR-Z7s is with material that has it to begin with - then the Z7s will really highlight it; otherwise, I really like how the Sony cans handle things like EDM and Ambient Electronica; drums sound great.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 'Hawks and they do better with some genres, like classic rock, but the Z7s are the 'phones I wear at work all day long.

Yes I agree it has many fine quality's ! I was just pointing out that the NH's are not the only HP that has non-boosted treble and are warm & dark. Also some say that they have a lot of the quality's of the Sony Z1. So that is a good thing considering the Z1 is like $2300 and I paid $299 for my Z7 ! 

Cool. I will hunt down a pair.

Yesterday I ordered some boost pads and a few of those elastic headband things. My headband thing is starting to look sad and I think it is something I will replace every few years.

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #6,100 of 10,196

Sorry i should clarify. my mistake

I dont really care for what the company says, that's their marketing pitch. I'm not saying i dont like what they say, just that its expected they praise their own technology.

i meant personal opinions for those who have real woodies and the nighthawk

sorry for confusion

Probably easier to get the exact shape they want and minimize variance

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #6,102 of 10,196
Cool. I will hunt down a pair.

Yesterday I ordered some boost pads and a few of those elastic headband things. My headband thing is starting to look sad and I think it is something I will replace every few years.

Obviously, try them out first with decent amplification, before purchase. They are harder to drive than the NightHawks and IMO, the amp matters with these cans.

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #6,103 of 10,196
Obviously, try them out first with decent amplification, before purchase. They are harder to drive than the NightHawks and IMO, the amp matters with these cans.

Not in this country. There is no where to try. You either buy them or you don't.

I have a more than capable amp. I have the Violectric V281 that can run the power hungry HE-6 easily.
If you can power the HE-6 you can power virtually anything.

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #6,104 of 10,196
Not in this country. There is no where to try. You either buy them or you don't.

I have a more than capable amp. I have the Violectric V281 that can run the power hungry HE-6 easily.

Yes, and I am appropriately jealous of that amp 
beerchug.gif

I was really more commenting that not everyone likes the Z7s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back