AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 26, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #6,061 of 10,196
I have had the same experience. There was some video review that compared the NH and the Z1R. The reviewer said the Z1R had better bass than the NH. I say to myself "no way!".

It is better. The Z1R is on another level but much more expensive so it should be. I liked the Nighthawk a lot when I had it but I couldn't justify keeping it after getting the Z1R.

I think the video about the comparison was made by phototristan and he goes by Mediahound on head fi. Not Z.

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #6,062 of 10,196
It is better. The Z1R is on another level but much more expensive so it should be. I liked the Nighthawk a lot when I had it but I couldn't justify keeping it after getting the Z1R.

I think the video about the comparison was made by phototristan and he goes by Mediahound on head fi. Not Z.

Thanks! What do you like about the Z1R?

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #6,063 of 10,196
I don't know the guy's name. Best I can remember it was on the Carbon thread...

I think you guys on about phototristan or w.e. Asian fella who has had some pretty nice sets

He compared z1R and nighthawks saying they had similar sigs but that z1r was just better overall as it should be for six Times it's price.

The z1r seems to be a top tier level can so it's not surprising

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7d5LxtFzHuA

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #6,064 of 10,196
I think you guys on about phototristan or w.e. Asian fella who has had some pretty nice sets

He compared z1R and nighthawks saying they had similar sigs but that z1r was just better overall as it should be for six Times it's price.

The z1r seems to be a top tier level can so it's not surprising

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7d5LxtFzHuA

I wonder which pads he was using on the NHs... BTW price is NO indication of quality, to wit the LCD4 v1, HE1000 v1, HEX v1

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #6,066 of 10,196
Thanks! What do you like about the Z1R?

The design, build quality and comfort are top notch and it has a huge soundstage for a closed headphone. Very spacious sounding and the bass hits deep without bloat. The detail is all there too.

But don't get me wrong - the Nighthawk holds its own. I still think it's a great headphone. I actually miss it now. It was just as comfortable as the Z1R. I would say that the Nighthawk is like the little brother of the Z1R in terms of sound signature.

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #6,067 of 10,196
The design, build quality and comfort are top notch and it has a huge soundstage for a closed headphone. Very spacious sounding and the bass hits deep without bloat. The detail is all there too.

But don't get me wrong - the Nighthawk holds its own. I still think it's a great headphone. I actually miss it now. It was just as comfortable as the Z1R. I would say that the Nighthawk is like the little brother of the Z1R in terms of sound signature.

And what is that sound signature? And what pads were on the NightHawk?

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #6,068 of 10,196
I had the liquid wood edition with the stock pads. This was before the Carbon and the alternative pad options.

The sound signature: a natural and balanced one that doesn't artificially boost treble. I hate to say warm and dark because that has negative connotations around here. It's tuned for musical enjoyment. A trend that the Nighthawk started I guess. That is the Sony philosophy for the Z1R. Just a bit more technologically advanced because of the unique design of the ear cups and resonance free housing.

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #6,069 of 10,196
I had the liquid wood edition with the stock pads. This was before the Carbon and the alternative pad options.

The sound signature: a natural and balanced one that doesn't artificially boost treble. I hate to say warm and dark because that has negative connotations around here. It's tuned for musical enjoyment. A trend that the Nighthawk started I guess. That is the Sony philosophy for the Z1R. Just a bit more technologically advanced because of the unique design of the ear cups and resonance free housing.

It would be real interesting to hear your comparisons with the new pads... I think you would be surprised

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #6,071 of 10,196
I don't have the Nighthawk anymore but I would have liked to have tried the newer pads. Maybe I'll come back to it one day.

As I mentioned a few pages back, I compared the NHs with US pads and my PMx2s and they sounded very close, like VERY close. The pads make a HUGE difference...

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #6,072 of 10,196

I know a lot of people don't like them, but the Sony Z7 does not boost treble and are dark and warm, they were out before the NH's. I don't understand how one could like the NH's and not like the Z7's ! If any thing the Z7 has more bass, yes it can have bloat, a couple of easy mods or even a quality cable can fix that. I feel the NH's and the Z7's are neck to neck, but as the saying goes, everyone hears different.

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #6,073 of 10,196
I know a lot of people don't like them, but the Sony Z7 does not boost treble and are dark and warm, they were out before the NH's. I don't understand how one could like the NH's and not like the Z7's ! If any thing the Z7 has more bass, yes it can have bloat, a couple of easy mods or even a quality cable can fix that. I feel the NH's and the Z7's are neck to neck, but as the saying goes, everyone hears different.

There is more to sound than those qualities. To me it is holographics, lushness and smoothness that I like the most out of the NH.

How does the Z7 do on those qualities.

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #6,074 of 10,196
There is more to sound than those qualities. To me it is holographics, lushness and smoothness that I like the most out of the NH.

Really well, IMO. And the detail... seriously love the Z7s with classical music, to which I listen to much of the time.

The only time I've had issues with bloat on the MDR-Z7s is with material that has it to begin with - then the Z7s will really highlight it; otherwise, I really like how the Sony cans handle things like EDM and Ambient Electronica; drums sound great.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 'Hawks and they do better with some genres, like classic rock, but the Z7s are the 'phones I wear at work all day long.

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #6,075 of 10,196

Yes I agree it has many fine quality's ! I was just pointing out that the NH's are not the only HP that has non-boosted treble and are warm & dark. Also some say that they have a lot of the quality's of the Sony Z1. So that is a good thing considering the Z1 is like $2300 and I paid $299 for my Z7 ! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back