AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 27, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #6,076 of 10,196
Arghh looks like I'm going to have to get another measurement rig!

Anyway I really don't get the hype for the Z1R I don't really find it a great headphone. I felt it didn't particulate resolve better than my NH Carbon and it also had a bit of a grainy character like all Sony headphones with that upper mid-maybe mid treble roughness and peak(why haven't Sony fixed that!)

I see the comparison on YouTube and I disagree with it it mostly about the Z1R going lower - firstly the NH is strong down to 10hz it's literally impossible to get lower and also pointless. Most music(Bass heavy) tend to go down to 30hz and that's considered very low for headphones.

I also felt the NH had a much more engaging sound the Z1R's mids just don't have the same lushness, natural tone to voices that the NH do. I think the Z1R is a decent headphone don't get me wrong but it's price wayyyyyy too high. The Z1R sounds like s typicsl closed back to me with the same problems. The driver would do much better in an open enclosure.

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #6,077 of 10,196
Listening to Doug Macleod 'There's A Time' with 'Hawks on my big rig. Just fantastic.

One of my favorite modern blues recordings. I often use the first two tracks for testing new gear. Especially the second track Black Nights. There is so much subtle detail, dynacism and the bass line is beautifully rendered. This album is possibly the best recorded blues record since Folk Singer. 

Jan 27, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #6,078 of 10,196

Anyway I really don't get the hype for the Z1R I don't really find it a great headphone. I felt it didn't particulate resolve better than my NH Carbon and it also had a bit of a grainy character like all Sony headphones with that upper mid-maybe mid treble roughness and peak(why haven't Sony fixed that!)

I see the comparison on YouTube and I disagree with it it mostly about the Z1R going lower - firstly the NH is strong down to 10hz it's literally impossible to get lower and also pointless. Most music(Bass heavy) tend to go down to 30hz and that's considered very low for headphones.

I also felt the NH had a much more engaging sound the Z1R's mids just don't have the same lushness, natural tone to voices that the NH do. I think the Z1R is a decent headphone don't get me wrong but it's price wayyyyyy too high. The Z1R sounds like s typicsl closed back to me with the same problems. The driver would do much better in an open enclosure.

I got the Z1R for a much lower price than retail, but all high end headphones are priced way too high anyway.  Is the Utopia worth $4K?  Stax 009 $3,500?    It's a pointless discussion because the prices will continue go high and people will continue to pay.   Before the HD800, $600 or $700 was the top end. 

I made direct comparisons between the NH and Z1R for about a week and the Z1R has the much clearer and articulate sound.  I guess it was just more energy in the treble region and upfront mid-range.  The NH was noticeably hazier or syrupy sounding.  That's not a bad thing though.  It's not a like details were covered up.  The NH was like looking through a sepia toned window.  You can still see everything but overlaid with a different character. 

Jan 27, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #6,079 of 10,196

Listening to Doug Macleod 'There's A Time' with 'Hawks on my big rig. Just fantastic.

One of my favorite modern blues recordings. I often use the first two tracks for testing new gear. Especially the second track Black Nights. There is so much subtle detail, dynacism and the bass line is beautifully rendered. This album is possibly the best recorded blues record since Folk Singer. 

Is this on the "Chesky" label ? ( & what formats is it available in ? SACD ? or does Chesky have Hi Rez Downloads now in addition to Disc formats ?)

I would have kept my Oppo SACD player in 'sevice', but the Sabre DAC in the Oppo (playing SACDs) isn't as detailed sounding as the CD layer rips of the same SACD played through my Auraliti PK100 DFP into my Metrum Hex DAC . Thanks in advance.

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #6,080 of 10,196

Which pads are you using? It'll be great when you get your rig going again and can measure NH with all three of the pad options... 

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #6,083 of 10,196
I have been using the night owls now for about 2 1/2 weeks with my iPhone and dragonfly red. I have about 150-200 hours on it and am a little confused. I am missing a lot of the very low end sounds that I am used to hearing on my in ear phones. Certain songs with super deep organ notes or upright bass notes are barely there at all. I wear glasses so maybe that is the problem. I've tried both pads and neither seem to help much. Is my setup not powerful enough? Should I be eq'ing and if so could someone recommend an app for the iPhone?

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #6,084 of 10,196
I have, I find the classics to have a bit more dullness in the upper mids just like the US pads but the extra bass does add a more fun factor. There's something about the Boost pads that just are so musical. AQ did the right thing with using them as the main ear pads. 

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #6,085 of 10,196
  I have, I find the classics to have a bit more dullness in the upper mids just like the US pads but the extra bass does add a more fun factor. There's something about the Boost pads that just are so musical. AQ did the right thing with using them as the main ear pads. 

Thanks! Now for the $2,299.00 question: Which pads sound the closest to the Z1R?

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #6,086 of 10,196
I have been using the night owls now for about 2 1/2 weeks with my iPhone and dragonfly red. I have about 150-200 hours on it and am a little confused. I am missing a lot of the very low end sounds that I am used to hearing on my in ear phones. Certain songs with super deep organ notes or upright bass notes are barely there at all. I wear glasses so maybe that is the problem. I've tried both pads and neither seem to help much. Is my setup not powerful enough? Should I be eq'ing and if so could someone recommend an app for the iPhone?

My impression with non-broken in Owls is the bass is much more subdued that the Hawk. Just a first impression, but it was quite obvious. 
kev

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #6,087 of 10,196
  My impression with non-broken in Owls is the bass is much more subdued that the Hawk. Just a first impression, but it was quite obvious. 
kev

Which pads are you using on the NOs? Skylar says the Classic pads, the stock pads on NH, have the most bass; US and Boost reduce it a little bit...

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #6,088 of 10,196
I've done a bit of trial with the ultrasuede pads on the NH, and they do make a subtle but noticeable difference to the sound. They definitely bring the mid-bass hump down some, and sub-bass rolls off a bit sooner than stock. This has an effect of bringing the upper mids and highs forward a little, though they're still not harsh. I think it definitely brings it closer to what people expect from an "audiophile" headphone, but I can also see where they lose a bit of what makes the NH special and unique. I plan to use both pairs of pads depending on my music and mood, but I bet the stock pads will get more time. 

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #6,089 of 10,196
  Thanks! Now for the $2,299.00 question: Which pads sound the closest to the Z1R?

Hmmm I'd say neither. The boost pads sound similar to the old Denon D7000 but with more sub bass and a slightly smoother treble but the vocal section is more fleshed out. All pads have kind of their sound. The Z1R sounds similar to their other products with some variances here and there. 

I think the reason I love my NHCarbon with boost pads so much is I've always wanted a D7000 remake with removable cables with better sub bass. I get that same energy and euphoria I got with the D7000 which was my all time fav.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back