AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 5, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #2,131 of 10,196
 If you have no amp at all then the Mojo is sensational BUT you'll have as much enjoyment out of a Cayin C5 or C6 at less than half the price. I have both the Cayin and the Mojo and honestly I wished I'd saved my money. Don't get me wrong the Mojo is WAY more powerful than the Cayin but when volume matched the Mojo sound quality is not going to jump out at you as overwhelmingly superior to the Cayin: in fact it's barely noticeable. 

As you know by now the Nighthawk doesn't need much amplification to sound sweet so the Mojo is overkill.

What about the Mojo as a DAC do you not like it over your Modi etc? I think the Mojo is ok, but overrated but it's one of the few DACS out there that lean to the warmer side.

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #2,132 of 10,196
I like everything about the Mojo EXCEPT there's no line in. As a DAC I'm not exactly thrilled to have to go out the headphone amp into another amp. 

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #2,133 of 10,196
From what I've gathered it doesn't really have an amp in the traditional sense. If you hold the volumes buttons with the power button when you turn it on you should be able to use it as a DAC only. There's no double amping with the Mojo. I use the some of my valve amp this way and it sounds pretty good.

I'm tempted to just grab the geek out 1000 as many reliable reports have found it on par with the Mojo and it's MUCH cheaper. I do like the Mojo it's just hard to justify the price here in the UK.

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #2,136 of 10,196
From what I've gathered it doesn't really have an amp in the traditional sense. If you hold the volumes buttons with the power button when you turn it on you should be able to use it as a DAC only. There's no double amping with the Mojo. I use the some of my valve amp this way and it sounds pretty good.

I'm tempted to just grab the geek out 1000 as many reliable reports have found it on par with the Mojo and it's MUCH cheaper. I do like the Mojo it's just hard to justify the price here in the UK.

The Mojo has more power than some of my desktop amps

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #2,137 of 10,196
The Mojo has more power than some of my desktop amps

@ChookJones1987 is correct. Rob Watts has explained this a few times in the Mojo thread. Here's one of his posts:

Quote:
  Line level mode is just a volume preset for the volume control - nothing else changes.

Mojo has an FPGA (which is digital logic only) a discrete DAC (turning digital signals to analogue via flip-flops and resistors) and a single output amplifier - and that is it.

Conventional DAC headphone amps use differential outputs and have two I to V converters (current to voltage), a differential to single ended converter, and an output amplifier. Wrapped up with that is a analogue filter. So that's a lot of passive components and four amplifiers in the signal path. 

Because Mojo's FPGA has extensive digital filtering (at 2048 FS) and has a noise shaper that runs at a very high rate (104MHz) and uses a discrete DAC, I can keep the analogue section radically simpler, and this is one reason why Mojo is so transparent compared to all other DAC amps.

Rob

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #2,138 of 10,196

Thanks Wayne!

All this Mojo talk has made me very curious, but my poor wallet has been enslaved by the photography gods...

I hear you! I was fairly addicted to photography a few years ago, but not so much lately. I'd like to get back into it one of these days. Anyway, here's a shot while out kayaking last summer using my Galaxy S5:

If you have no amp at all then the Mojo is sensational BUT you'll have as much enjoyment out of a Cayin C5 or C6 at less than half the price. I have both the Cayin and the Mojo and honestly I wished I'd saved my money. Don't get me wrong the Mojo is WAY more powerful than the Cayin but when volume matched the Mojo sound quality is not going to jump out at you as overwhelmingly superior to the Cayin: in fact it's barely noticeable. 

As you know by now the Nighthawk doesn't need much amplification to sound sweet so the Mojo is overkill.

Thanks! The NH's are very easy to drive for sure and sound great out of my HifimeDIY U2 dac + Cayin C5, my Colorfly C3 dap + C&C BH, and my Ihifi 770 dap.
One possibility would be to get a better dac to replace the HifimeDIY (although the combo sounds very good to me). Anyway, thanks for the thoughts.

Feb 5, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #2,142 of 10,196
I am quite sure I will. I have wanted to get one for a long time, partly to support what that company is trying to accomplish (affordable excellence) and partly as a vote against the general tech reviewer numbskulls who have been so critical of the device. And of course, having a killer portable hifi is very appealing.
I just got the NH today. They are very interesting. I can see the basis for the strong opinions and reactions to them. So far just listening to my computer headphone output...I gave away my headphone amps to people I love...great excuse for a new one. 

Feb 5, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #2,143 of 10,196
  I am quite sure I will. I have wanted to get one for a long time, partly to support what that company is trying to accomplish (affordable excellence) and partly as a vote against the general tech reviewer numbskulls who have been so critical of the device. And of course, having a killer portable hifi is very appealing.
I just got the NH today. They are very interesting. I can see the basis for the strong opinions and reactions to them. So far just listening to my computer headphone output...I gave away my headphone amps to people I love...great excuse for a new one

That's the attitude! 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #2,144 of 10,196
Well, my F^$%^-ing cat chowed another audio cable - this time, I went to bed last night and stupidly left my NHs out on my desk.

Cable gone; gnawed through in about 5 places, so I am not even going to try to repair it. She's killed my stock HD-650 cable, my stock HD-700 cable and now my NightHawk cable.

How is this cat still alive? Good question...

Anyway, I am using my Moon Audio Black Dragon V2 (for my HD-700) as a temp replacement. I have to admit, when I plugged it in, I sort-of went 'wow, that's different...', but I've been listening to my 2-channel speaker system, so I'll attribute it to that change.

I would like to order a replacement, if they aren't too much. If they are expensive, I will likely go back to Moon Audio - I was surprised how thin the filament was on the stock cable, after my cat opened them up for inspection.

I've found nothing on the Web - does anyone know where to order replacement cables for the NHs?

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #2,145 of 10,196
  Well, my F^$%^-ing cat chowed another audio cable - this time, I went to bed last night and stupidly left my NHs out on my desk.

Cable gone; gnawed through in about 5 places, so I am not even going to try to repair it. She's killed my stock HD-650 cable, my stock HD-700 cable and now my NightHawk cable.

How is this cat still alive? Good question...

Anyway, I am using my Moon Audio Black Dragon V2 (for my HD-700) as a temp replacement. I have to admit, when I plugged it in, I sort-of went 'wow, that's different...', but I've been listening to my 2-channel speaker system, so I'll attribute it to that change.

I would like to order a replacement, if they aren't too much. If they are expensive, I will likely go back to Moon Audio - I was surprised how thin the filament was on the stock cable, after my cat opened them up for inspection.

I've found nothing on the Web - does anyone know where to order replacement cables for the NHs?

:frowning2: sorry to hear.

Any chance you can post a pic of the cable innards? I'm curious to see how it's put together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back