AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 3, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #2,116 of 10,196

I think everyone just has their own preferences for sound...........when you get used to one sound signature that you love, it's natural to compare it with something that sounds different, for better or worse.

Btw, this post of yours got the NH's onto my radar for the first time. For that, I thank you sir!

Edit: p.s... they do look just a wee bit nicer than the 100aap's lol!

Feb 3, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #2,117 of 10,196
  Btw, this post of yours got the NH's onto my radar for the first time. For that, I thank you sir!

Edit: p.s... they do look just a wee bit nicer than the 100aap's lol!

Wow, I'd had them for about a month then, got them at Can Jam London, that was probably after my 1st 100 hours of burn in.....well actually 200 hours, I put them through a LOT of usage that 1st month!

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #2,118 of 10,196
Let's just say for the sake of not arguing that the mids aren't any lower in volume than the rest of the frequencies. The bass is in your face but not overly so, the highs are in your face but not overly so and def not irritating, the mids position compared to the rest of the spectrum is like they're way down hallway. One of those ffunny hallways where its smaller at the end. Another perspective
Bass 0{ oo)0
Highs 0(oo)0
Mids o. (oo). o
And the pair I heard were def burnt in.

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #2,119 of 10,196
Let's just say for the sake of not arguing that the mids aren't any lower in volume than the rest of the frequencies. The bass is in your face but not overly so, the highs are in your face but not overly so and def not irritating, the mids position compared to the rest of the spectrum is like they're way down hallway. One of those ffunny hallways where its smaller at the end. Another perspective
Bass 0{ oo)0
Highs 0(oo)0
Mids o. (oo). o
And the pair I heard were def burnt in.

I personally found the sound to heavily depend on the system and what songs you are listening to, it's rather interesting once you experiment with different systems and recordings as I found them to respond more sensitively to changes than most headphones. What system(s) did you listen to them on out of curiosity? 

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #2,120 of 10,196
I personally found the sound to heavily depend on the system and what songs you are listening to, it's rather interesting once you experiment with different systems and recordings as I found them to respond more sensitively to changes than most headphones. What system(s) did you listen to them on out of curiosity? 

Very true

Feb 3, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #2,122 of 10,196
Lol at the whole chuckjones guy
Doesn't Believe in burn-in > gets pair of headphones that desperately needs it > complaints about un-burnt-in sound sig

I'll admit, he's right about the recessed mids, reverb-y cups and rough treble, it's exactly what I heard myself when I first got mine. That said, I gave em a chance, burned them in for a few weeks and now I'm hearing just what everyone else is hearing from their nighthawks.

And in case he comes back here to check things out again, here's my situation: I'm a working media professional, I've finished the Golden Ear challenge twice now and I listen to a variety of headphones and speakers across several price points. Point is, my ears aren't **** and I'm not falling for sound signature tricks either. The Nighthawks are legit, just give them the chance to burn in and take away your ego for a second to truly listen. I have other friends who work across a wide range of media and audio related fields and they've had chances to listen to the Nighthawks post-burn-in. All but one came away impressed; the one guy who wasn't complained about their lack of dynamics when driven out of his smartphone -.- He changed his mind after listening to them properly amped.

edit - typo

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #2,123 of 10,196
They're even stellar out of a phone TBH, in terms of headphones that can be powered from one. 

BTW anyone have a solid pick for a sub-400 IEM that matches their sig well? I like the Pistons but I need something more high end.

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #2,124 of 10,196
They're even stellar out of a phone TBH, in terms of headphones that can be powered from one. 

BTW anyone have a solid pick for a sub-400 IEM that matches their sig well? I like the Pistons but I need something more high end.

I couldn't help but be reminded of the UE900 when I heard the Nighthawks. Strikingly similar frequency response as well:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/LogitechUE900.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioQuestNightHawk2015.pdf

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #2,125 of 10,196
I couldn't help but be reminded of the UE900 when I heard the Nighthawks. Strikingly similar frequency response as well:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/LogitechUE900.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioQuestNightHawk2015.pdf

Interresting!
Thanks

Feb 4, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #2,126 of 10,196

With foam tips, the Focal Sphear is quite good. Not a direct match, but a nice IEM and very well priced.

Feb 4, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #2,127 of 10,196
Listening to Justin Vernon's "Hazeltons" via Amarra 3.0 >> AudioQuest Cinnamon >> Chord Mojo >> Moon Audio Blue Dragon >> AudioQuest NightHawk and it is absolutely jaw droppingly good. So many ambient cues that give a sense of the space, the tone of the guitar, the detail in his plucking and voice...

Feb 4, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #2,128 of 10,196
  I got comfortable in the den and planned on listening to a bit of the "Whiplash Soundtrack." I ended up listening to the entire album (the sound/music was incredible)

Nice. That is typically not the type of music I listen to, but I'm loving listening to a lot of stuff I normally don't listen to with the Nighthawks.

Listening to Justin Vernon's "Hazeltons" via Amarra 3.0 >> AudioQuest Cinnamon >> Chord Mojo >> Moon Audio Blue Dragon >> AudioQuest NightHawk and it is absolutely jaw droppingly good. So many ambient cues that give a sense of the space, the tone of the guitar, the detail in his plucking and voice...

There you go with that Mojo talk again elnero! 
wink.gif

And @Loquah, very nice Nighthawk review!

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #2,129 of 10,196

Nice. That is typically not the type of music I listen to, but I'm loving listening to a lot of stuff I normally don't listen to with the Nighthawks.

wink.gif

And @Loquah, very nice Nighthawk review!

Thanks Wayne!

All this Mojo talk has made me very curious, but my poor wallet has been enslaved by the photography gods...

Feb 5, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #2,130 of 10,196
wink.gif

If you have no amp at all then the Mojo is sensational BUT you'll have as much enjoyment out of a Cayin C5 or C6 at less than half the price. I have both the Cayin and the Mojo and honestly I wished I'd saved my money. Don't get me wrong the Mojo is WAY more powerful than the Cayin but when volume matched the Mojo sound quality is not going to jump out at you as overwhelmingly superior to the Cayin: in fact it's barely noticeable. 

As you know by now the Nighthawk doesn't need much amplification to sound sweet so the Mojo is overkill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back