AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 3, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #2,086 of 10,196

I'd like that to happen but I think there's too much resistance to the Nighthawks sound sig because it's too different  but we'll see. The Mojo should have a lot more success. 

I agree. I think the NightHawk is just the start for Skylar though so I'm hopeful we'll see more progression down this path.

Feb 3, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #2,088 of 10,196
Do you guys think that the mids are forward enough for Rock and Metal music ?

I listen to a lot of rock (not metal though) and love the Hawks for rock (and everything else), but that's a hard question to really answer because what is forward to you might not be forward to someone else (or vice versa)

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #2,089 of 10,196
I find the mids too recessed for rock and especially for vocal tracks. I find the Nighthawk difficult to place because it really lacks in definition and cohesiveness but it does plankton quite well and has nice Bio cellulose bass! 

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #2,090 of 10,196
  I listen to a lot of rock (not metal though) and love the Hawks for rock (and everything else), but that's a hard question to really answer because what is forward to you might not be forward to someone else (or vice versa)

That's exactly it.........I love the mids and I think they're perfect-vocals and guitars are awesome, but guys have come here saying the mids are recessed..........everyone has a different set of ears though and maybe size matters. 

I know everyone trusts their ears but I trust mine too and no way no how have I ever heard recessed mids on Nighthawks

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #2,091 of 10,196

That's exactly it.........I love the mids and I think they're perfect-vocals and guitars are awesome, but guys have come here saying the mids are recessed..........everyone has a different set of ears though and maybe size matters. 

I know everyone trusts their ears but I trust mine too and no way no how have I ever heard recessed mids on Nighthawks

I trust my ears too, and what I hear is reflected on the FR response graph measured by a reliable person.

Tried them for a few days, but I hated the sucked out mids Treble was a little rough, but it wasn't much of a big deal. It was the overpowering bass and the veiled, sucked out mids that I horribly disliked. People who like warm, bassy headphones should like them if they don't mind recessed mids and veiled treble.

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #2,092 of 10,196

I trust my ears too, and what I hear is reflected on the FR response graph measured by a reliable person.

Tried them for a few days, but I hated the sucked out mids Treble was a little rough, but it wasn't much of a big deal. It was the overpowering bass and the veiled, sucked out mids that I horribly disliked. People who like warm, bassy headphones should like them if they don't mind recessed mids and veiled treble.

It actually amazes me how some can't hear any of the treble roughness and upper mid suck out! 

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #2,095 of 10,196

+1. Beautiful mids? Yes. Recessed no.

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #2,098 of 10,196
  Ether you gear is gooey or your ears are not good at distinguishing the differences because the roughness in this treble is pretty obvious. The cups are very reverby and the bass does mask this but anyone with a good ear will be able to hear it.

How many hours do you have on your NH's? From a lot of what I've read, the NH's do truly respond to burn in. The pair of NH's I just received have approx 150-200 hours on them, so I haven't heard a fresh pair. Not that I have golden ears, but I'm not hearing resonances, or bass bleed, or rough treble (love the highs!) on my pair.

Also as far as the mids go, they sound perfectly placed to me. If I want to just focus on vocals, then I'll throw on something like the AD900X's which have more forward mids and highlight the vocals more. But if I want to listen to the vocals and mids mixed in and balanced beautifully in with the rest of the frequencies, then I am finding the NH's to be wonderful.

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #2,099 of 10,196
Ether you gear is gooey or your ears are not good at distinguishing the differences because the roughness in this treble is pretty obvious. The cups are very reverby and the bass does mask this but anyone with a good ear will be able to hear it.

The cups are not reverby at all. I've only heard rough treble on certain systems on the Nighthawks, but even then I find headphones such as the HD 650, etc. notably rougher in the treble. The headphones are extremely transparent of the system, minor issues with the power quality, DAC and/or amp/tube roughness will show up on these very easily. In the United States clean power is extra important due to how dirty the power outlets tend to be here.

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #2,100 of 10,196
  or maybe your ears are not good

Yes my ears, which pick out the differences between a rough treble or a smooth treble and not good....

No the Nighthawk do not respond to burn in. It's simply our ears adjusting to the sound. The Nighthawks have a reverby bloom that you need to hear past, this takes a few hours to adjust which tricks the mind in thinking it's burn in. Switching back to other headphones for a while confirms it's still there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back