AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 29, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #2,056 of 10,196

You mean cable like these

Careful, looks like the PM-3 has 3.5mm socket on headphone termination, which is different from 2.5mm in the NH

The PM-3 is single sided where as the PM-1 and PM-2 are double sided using the same 2.5mm as the NightHawk. Where you need to be careful with the 2.5mm termination is to make sure the connectors themselves are thin enough because the socket on the NightHawk is recessed.

Jan 29, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #2,057 of 10,196

The PM-3 is single sided where as the PM-1 and PM-2 are double sided using the same 2.5mm as the NightHawk. Where you need to be careful with the 2.5mm termination is to make sure the connectors themselves are thin enough because the socket on the NightHawk is recessed.

Ok thanks, Norne website must be incorrect then, nice to know.
Moon Audio is basically the only one to offer something you know will work with the NightHawk.

I need to check if the 2.5 socket in the NH supports balanced, I see just one sleeve on those 2.5 connector, there must be two for balanced but does the socket support it? 

Edit : Apparently it does support balanced even if that's not very detailed the FAQ states :

Can I get balanced cables for NightHawk?

Yes. For the time being, we ask that you please contact your AudioQuest dealer and request a NightHawk cable terminated for balanced amplifier outputs.

In the future, we will offer a NightHawk cable prepared with balanced connectors using our high-purity metals, Direct-Silver plating, and cold-welded terminations.

Jan 29, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #2,058 of 10,196

Ok thanks, Norne website must be incorrect then, nice to know.
Moon Audio is basically the only one to offer something you know will work with the NightHawk.

I need to check if the 2.5 socket in the NH supports balanced, I see just one sleeve on those 2.5 connector, there must be two for balanced but does the socket support it? 

Edit : Apparently it does support balanced even if that's not very detailed the FAQ states :

No, I think Norne's site is correct, the link you posted is for a PM-3 cable which is single sided 3.5mm, if you scroll down you can see where they show PM-1 and PM-2 2.5mm connectors, which are apparently also the same as those used in the HD700 and HE1000.

Jan 29, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #2,059 of 10,196
  No, I think Norne's site is correct, the link you posted is for a PM-3 cable which is single sided 3.5mm, if you scroll down you can see where they show PM-1 and PM-2 2.5mm connectors, which are apparently also the same as those used in the HD700 and HE1000.

Ok got it, it's PM-1 and PM-2 cables that I need to check, thanks

Jan 29, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #2,060 of 10,196
... I see just one sleeve on those 2.5 connector, there must be two for balanced but does the socket support it? 

For balanced connection to each ear of a headphone you only need two connections, ie in the case of the NightHawk a 2.5 mm tip and sleeve (mono) plug and socket, you do not need tip/ring/sleeve connectors. The important thing is that you need a minimum of four connections at the source end; any additional connections are solely used for a ground connection to any screening on the cable.

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #2,062 of 10,196
Hey guys, can someone tell me how are the Nighthawk with Prog-Metal music ?  (With bands like Opeth, Tool, Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson and Dream Theater)

Thanks

I listen to Wilson, Porcupine Tree and Opeth (the non-cookie monster vocals), and when I had the NH, they sounded great. Wilson's stuff is usually well recorded and on the NH you don't lose any of the details and the bass has great impact. The Raven album in particular is a good test since the instrumentation is complex.

I don't have the NH now simply because of price. I definitely miss them.

Jan 30, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #2,063 of 10,196
For balanced connection to each ear of a headphone you only need two connections, ie in the case of the NightHawk a 2.5 mm tip and sleeve (mono) plug and socket, you do not need tip/ring/sleeve connectors. The important thing is that you need a minimum of four connections at the source end; any additional connections are solely used for a ground connection to any screening on the cable.

I forgot the sleeve :p
I am a newbie on cables...
Thanks!

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #2,064 of 10,196
Finally bought a pair of Nighthawks, but they are not fully broken in yet. What I am noticing more and more is they sound like my Snell speakers (k series). Very musical. It's like listening to my home stereo. My only beef with the NHs at this point is that the cable has crimped and split open the covering exposing the wires to the two cans. I understand there are balanced cables available for these headphones but I don't know where to find them. Could use some advice on finding them.

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #2,065 of 10,196
  Finally bought a pair of Nighthawks, but they are not fully broken in yet. What I am noticing more and more is they sound like my Snell speakers (k series). Very musical. It's like listening to my home stereo. My only beef with the NHs at this point is that the cable has crimped and split open the covering exposing the wires to the two cans. I understand there are balanced cables available for these headphones but I don't know where to find them. Could use some advice on finding them.

AudioQuest sells 'em, just give them a call.

And yeah, the "audiophile" cable is kinda cheap with these. I use the mobile one and it's fine.

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #2,066 of 10,196

AudioQuest sells 'em, just give them a call.

And yeah, the "audiophile" cable is kinda cheap with these. I use the mobile one and it's fine.

Don't quote me on this, but I got the sense they were working on developing some new / better cables for the 'Hawks. Not sure what will happen for existing owners.

Personally, I really like the stock audiophile cable, but I tend to only use the Nighthawks at my desk so the cable stays pretty still.

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #2,067 of 10,196
I've gotten the opportunity to listen to these at a few meets. They're not my cup of tea with the darker tone and recessed upper mids. However, when I paired it with the current mode out of the bakoon hpa-01m, it actually fixed the recessed upper mids and sounded a lot better to me. Essentially, the bakoon will perform an electrical EQ based on the impedance curve, so that higher impedance peaks get boosted. It worked out for these in making the upper mids clearer and more transparent. So if anyone has a chance to try it with a bakoon, it's an interesting change in sound signature.

Also I couldn't help but read people saying these are musical. If you want to hear another musical can, check out the Hifiman Edition X :)

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #2,068 of 10,196
I've gotten the opportunity to listen to these at a few meets. They're not my cup of tea with the darker tone and recessed upper mids. However, when I paired it with the current mode out of the bakoon hpa-01m, it actually fixed the recessed upper mids and sounded a lot better to me. Essentially, the bakoon will perform an electrical EQ based on the impedance curve, so that higher impedance peaks get boosted. It worked out for these in making the upper mids clearer and more transparent. So if anyone has a chance to try it with a bakoon, it's an interesting change in sound signature.

Also I couldn't help but read people saying these are musical. If you want to hear another musical can, check out the Hifiman Edition X
smily_headphones1.gif

Interesting experience, Sonido. I wonder why they sounded so different with the Bakoon given that the Nighthawk impedance curve is close enough to flat that 'electrical EQ' wouldn't have a significant impact (http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioQuestNightHawk2015.pdf). Current drive amps are more about distortion figures than anything else. You're right that they do essentially "ignore" impedance characteristics, but that's not going to be a significant factor here. Still, it's enough to know that the Bakoon is a good pair with the Hawks regardless of the reason.

What else have you tried the 'Hawks with?

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #2,069 of 10,196
So, I went to the London Headroom meet and had the privilege of speaking with Rob Watts, who designed the Chord Hugo, Chord Mojo, and the new flagship Chord, Dave. 

Rob said the Nighthawk was NOT used to tune the Mojo BUT he said the Nighthawk was by far his favorite headphone because it sounded closer to speakers than anything else. 

I picked up a Mojo and I must say it's definitely an upgrade from my Cayin C5. 

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #2,070 of 10,196
So, I went to the London Headroom meet and had the privilege of speaking with Rob Watts, who designed the Chord Hugo, Chord Mojo, and the new flagship Chord, Dave. 

Rob said the Nighthawk was NOT used to tune the Mojo BUT he said the Nighthawk was by far his favorite headphone because it sounded closer to speakers than anything else. 

I picked up a Mojo and I must say it's definitely an upgrade from my Cayin C5. 

I do remember reading he liked the NightHawk in the Mojo thread but I was never quite sure where you got that the used it to tune the Mojo.

Glad to hear you picked up a Mojo, its truly a little wonder. In fact I just posted a review of it a couple of days ago. If you're interested in checking it out the link is in my sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back