AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 26, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #2,041 of 10,196

I haven't had problems with the stock cable but I did end up snagging a used Moon Audio Blue Dragon, I like it quite a bit more than the stock cable.

Did you re-terminate it? I've given up on the velour pads and am much happier for it. Stock is best for me atm. Though chillier. 

best,

o

Jan 26, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #2,042 of 10,196

Did you re-terminate it? I've given up on the velour pads and am much happier for it. Stock is best for me atm. Though chillier. 

best,

o

No, I found one used. Apparently Moon Audio's Oppo terminated cables also work with the NightHawk.

I thought you sold yours. Did you decide to keep it?

Jan 27, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #2,043 of 10,196
Glad to hear you liked them with an audition at a meet. I'd say that means you'll really love them when you get to spend a longer amount of time with them.  
Did you happen to get to hear a Chord Mojo at the meet?

Well it was just a short audition, but yeah, it was really promising. No one at the meet had a Chord Mojo, can't say I'm all that interested in the Mojo myself either though, as the aesthetics turn me off.
redface.gif

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #2,044 of 10,196

Well it was just a short audition, but yeah, it was really promising. No one at the meet had a Chord Mojo, can't say I'm all that interested in the Mojo myself either though, as the aesthetics turn me off.
redface.gif

Seriously, if you liked it from a short audition, you'll fall in love after a longer time.

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #2,045 of 10,196
I put a couple of recordings for Nighthawk listeners here, they sound pretty magical to me:

I love that song. I can't wait to hear it with the NH's (which I'll be getting next week)..

Edit: the other video was not available, but I now see that it was ELP's From The Beginning. Yup, another classic!
beerchug.gif

Jan 28, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #2,046 of 10,196

I love that song. I can't wait to hear it with the NH's (which I'll be getting next week)..

Edit: the other video was not available, but I now see that it was ELP's From The Beginning. Yup, another classic!
beerchug.gif

Congrats! 

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #2,047 of 10,196

You did it Wayne! Oh man, Cayin and E12 going to sound awesome out of it.......

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #2,048 of 10,196
sadly, I had to return the Nighthawk just because it turned out to be out of my price range for now.  I loved them though and hopefully one day can give them another shot.  In the meantime, I would like a closed back headphone with a similar sound signature. I've been impressed with some Sonys of late, and wanted opinion on whether the MDR 1A or the 100aap would fit my needs. All I know is the 1A tends to have a boomier bass and the 100aap is a bit tighter or neutral.  The comfort would seem to be just as good as the Nighthawk. 

Jan 28, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #2,049 of 10,196
sadly, I had to return the Nighthawk just because it turned out to be out of my price range for now.  I loved them though and hopefully one day can give them another shot.  In the meantime, I would like a closed back headphone with a similar sound signature. I've been impressed with some Sonys of late, and wanted opinion on whether the MDR 1A or the 100aap would fit my needs. All I know is the 1A tends to have a boomier bass and the 100aap is a bit tighter or neutral.  The comfort would seem to be just as good as the Nighthawk. 

I have all 3...........the 100aap is brighter and has the better soundstage, the 1A has a smoother treble and more bass

Jan 28, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #2,050 of 10,196

Congrats! 

You did it Wayne! Oh man, Cayin and E12 going to sound awesome out of it.......

Thanks guys! A ridiculously kind person felt sorry that I was stuck in mid-fi purgatory (lol) and felt that I should have a pair of NH's, so he gave me an offer that I simply could not refuse. To this individual, thank you so very much!

I'll be receiving the NH's next week. I think that they have approx 200 hours on them, so I shouldn't have to worry too much about burning them in further. I know enough to know that these are polarizing headphones, and that personal preferences (and biases) are very important when it comes to the Nighthawks. I have always gravitated towards darker signatures though - headphones have often been fatiguing to me due to their elevated highs - so I feel that there is a good chance that the NH's will be right up my alley.

We will find out soon enough!

Jan 28, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #2,051 of 10,196

No, I found one used. Apparently Moon Audio's Oppo terminated cables also work with the NightHawk.

I thought you sold yours. Did you decide to keep it?

Had planned to, but ended up relocating them. Sold another pair in their place to make up the donation, so all is well.

Much prefer them with the original pads, however. Have not tried the NHs (or any other phones for that matter) with the Mojo. Thin on the ground it seems. I expect they're selling a ton of them.

best,

o

Jan 28, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #2,052 of 10,196

I'll check them out, in the market for a balanced cable to go along with the NightHawk...

Other suggestions?

Edit : I did check, they even offer the NightHawk termination for 35$ :

Jan 28, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #2,053 of 10,196

Had planned to, but ended up relocating them. Sold another pair in their place to make up the donation, so all is well.

Much prefer them with the original pads, however. Have not tried the NHs (or any other phones for that matter) with the Mojo. Thin on the ground it seems. I expect they're selling a ton of them.

best,

o

Glad to hear you still have the NightHawks. I haven't tried any other pads, honestly, from the descriptions it doesn't sound like anything I'd like so I haven't bothered to investigate it. If Skylar comes out with an official alternative I might be tempted though. 

If you're interested in a Mojo I got mine from the same place I got the NightHawks.

Quote:

I'll check them out, in the market for a balanced cable to go along with the NightHawk...

Other suggestions?

Edit : I did check, they even offer the NightHawk termination for 35$ :

Oh cool, I didn't see that on there previously. The Blue Dragon is the only other cable I've tried. I'd be tempted to try a Norne or maybe a Forza out of curiosity but the Blue Dragon has made me more than happy.

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #2,054 of 10,196
LOL, Becks Sea Change album sounds like God recorded it............

Ha ha beautiful! Morning Phase sounds good to me as well, although I've read lots of controversy about how it was recorded.

Jan 29, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #2,055 of 10,196

You mean cable like these

Careful, looks like the PM-3 has 3.5mm socket on headphone termination, which is different from 2.5mm in the NH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back