AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 1, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #1,201 of 10,194
Prob because the Dragonfly can't drive the HD650, at all. If the HD650 lack weight then something is wrong.

I wouldn't say vocals on HD650 lacks weight on its own. You simply would not be able to tell unless a/b with NH. But, it's also pretty clear to me in comparison to a live performance, the vocals sound thin compared to a live person singing through a microphone generally speaking.

The distortion with the HD650 that I am hearing happened also with Valhalla2 and Mstage. BUT, my HD650 was modded and I think that can possibly be reason. I took out the small circle foam on the back side as well as the thin foam on the front side. But I also did same with HE500, and hear no distortion with HE500 even with an AQ dragonfly.

Dec 1, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #1,202 of 10,194
I wouldn't say vocals on HD650 lacks weight on its own. You simply would not be able to tell unless a/b with NH. But, it's also pretty clear to me in comparison with a live performance, the vocals sound thin compared to a live person singing through a microphone.

The distortion with the HD650 that I am hearing happened also with Valhalla2 and Mstage. BUT, my HD650 was modded and I think that can possibly be reason. I took out the small circle foam on the back side as well as the thin foam on the front side.

The problem is likely foam mods you did on the HD 650 attributing to the thin sound, the HD 650 does have a good deal of weight to it's sound, it was the only headphones I had that came close to the weight of the Nighthawks other than my modded T50RP. My complaints are rather about it's softening effect on it's sound(which I feel more mixed about than anything) which I found to hurt vocal dimensionality and clarity not that they were thin, but honestly the softening of the sound is a trait I found most Sennheisers to have. Better cables and systems do reduce this softening effect but never eliminated it in my experience.

Dec 1, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #1,203 of 10,194
The HD650 doesn't really have any audible distortion. The problem is the dragonfly DAC and amp. Even if you have a good amp, it will just amplify what your DAC is putting out. The Dragonfly also doesn't have a line out.

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #1,204 of 10,194
It can possibly be either the dragonfly, or the mod on the hd650 or both. Either way, I won't be able to know now since they are long gone :D. I do think it was a little bit of both though.

Anyway, now it's time to place my order on the Mojo then HE560 sometime next week. Will post how it turns out with NH and Mojo. I can't imagine not being a good pairing since Mojo was tuned using the Nighthawks, but still. :D It just got product of the year at whathifi.com for 2015. Just really curious.

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #1,208 of 10,194
Oh, my Nighthawks are going nowhere. Perhaps I should have gave the HD650 another try before it was sold in its original stock form. But, I do believe there was a problem somewhere I found that I ended up modding it in the first place. Or, maybe I was just caught up in the "modding" hype train so just did it out of curiosity. I forget. Either way, for me what I value most about the NH is it's musicality and the whole tone of the headphone. These things can't be fixed modded or unmodded, so either way HD650 was NOT exactly for me compared to the Nighthawks.

But, I do get why you like the HD650 so much, it does some things well. :D

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #1,209 of 10,194
What mod did you do?

I know other forums use the quarter mod. I didn't really like it as it leaned everything out a bit too much for me. I love the stock forum and just let me gear do the work rather than mods. 

Give them a go, stock if you don't like them you can always return them if you buy from Amazon. 

Dec 1, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #1,210 of 10,194
What mod did you do?

I know other forums use the quarter mod. I didn't really like it as it leaned everything out a bit too much for me. I love the stock forum and just let me gear do the work rather than mods. 

Give them a go, stock if you don't like them you can always return them if you buy from Amazon. 

Well, I did the removing of the foam on the back and complete removal of the foam on the front of the driver. I found out about the quarter mod AFTER I threw away the thin layer of dampening foam . Reason for this is, I started headphone with the HE500 which I removed the back foam, which improved sound in positive way without any negatives, so I thought it would be same for all headphones, but it turns out its not and really depends on the headphone as i got more into this hobby.

I do agree it is useless trying to mod headphone, not only do you lower value, but it always most times turn out to be a compromise in some other area. Different amps,dacs is a better way to go imo and going stock most of the way is the better solution.

Maybe I buy another hd650 later down the line in stock form just to see again. I do read many rebuying 3-4 times just like HE500. It is a popular headphone by all means.

Dec 1, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #1,211 of 10,194
  What mod did you do?

Definitely agree about the quarter mod, ruins the sound of the HD 650 or any HD 6xx family headphone imo. I found taking out the front foam takes away what makes the HD 650, well the HD 650. I always felt the need to mod a headphone means the person finds something lacking or wrong with the headphone. The HD 650 and the Nighthawks are both headphones, I personally wouldn't even think of modding other than swapping cables and tinkering with the system to squeeze out the best sound possible.

I realized if I have to do more than change the cable and tinker with the system to make a headphone sound to my liking, I probably should let go of the headphone. I think he should give them another go as well. I think I'm going to borrow my friends HD 650 after I get my new system up and running. 

Dec 1, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #1,212 of 10,194
This should be an interesting couple of weeks. I have a review loaner Mojo coming as well as an HD598 SE's I picked up on the Amazon deal and I've also arranged for the loan of an HD650 from another local Head-Fier. I've owned the HD650 on a couple of occasions and my friend has loaned me his numerous times so I'm quite familiar with them but it's always good to compare directly.

Dec 1, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #1,213 of 10,194
Maybe I buy another hd650 later down the line in stock form just to see again. I do read many rebuying 3-4 times just like HE500. It is a popular headphone by all means.

Oh well, they are a "quasi standard" here…..
blink.gif
  BTW I’ve owned one pair too, a long time ago (one, not dozens…. 
wink.gif
).

Dec 1, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #1,214 of 10,194
The Nighthawk has been doing a lot better on different tubes but I'm really liking the CV491 12AU7. 

So I shared my opinion on the Ether thread and got bashed for it haha. It's amazing, you share an opinion about a headphone and on here they act like you've killed their mother.

I think I prefer the NH over the Ether also.

Dec 1, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #1,215 of 10,194
  The Nighthawk has been doing a lot better on different tubes but I'm really liking the CV491 12AU7. 

So I shared my opinion on the Ether thread and got bashed for it haha. It's amazing, you share an opinion about a headphone and on here they act like you've killed their mother.

I think I prefer the NH over the Ether also.

The Nighthawks I found require quite delicate system matching just like the HD 650 and any other good headphone in my experience, the system doesn't necessarily need to be expensive. Try tinkering with DAC inputs and settings, etc. Rather interesting results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back