AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 3, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #737 of 10,194
Congratulations. After 39 posts you have completely nailed Head-Fi. I nominate you for immediate skip-level promotion to Headphoneus Supremus.

I love my HD-700s and I love my new NightHawks and I could care less what reviewers think of either set of 'phones.

Yep, after hearing the Nighthawks with your own ears at the comfort of your own home, you really care less what other have to say and they get discredited. I still read the same people who say NH has too much bass blah blah blah praising the Mojo and it's really hilarious to me because Mojo was voiced using Nighthawks.

Nov 4, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #738 of 10,194
Everyone has their own set of preferences and no one is right or wrong for loving/hating Nighthawks. I'm just happy I'm able to enjoy these headphones so much; they're absolutely the most beautiful and perfect sounding headphone I've ever been exposed to and yes I've heard Stax and HE1000 and HD800 and tons of other cans. 

Nov 4, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #739 of 10,194
I've had my Nighthawks for about a week now. After I bought these at Needle Doctor in town, I've been getting acclimated to them, while I read through all 40+ pages of posts in this thread. Head-Fi moves fast when a new product hits the streets. 
eek.gif

I don't have much to add that hasn't already been beaten to death, except this: I really disliked these when I auditioned them at the dealer. One of the sales guys asked me what I thought and my off-the-cuff answer: a sub-standard HD-650.

But, then I remembered what I thought of the HD-650s the first time I heard them. So, I decided to sit back down, listen for about an hour and see if that changed. They had a nice in-store setup that let me browse Spotify and play familiar music. The listening setup was a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic connected to an very old Mac Mini. Yeah... so I decided I needed to hear the NightHawks on my own rig, so I bought them.

A week later, I am back to staying up 'til 3am and listening to lots of different music; loud ... I keep turning up the volume with these cans and I completely lose track of time. The last set of 'phones that did that for me: the HD-650s, after I fell in love with them, bought an OTL amp and went crazy buying tubes.

The NightHawks are really engaging in way that I don't know how to describe. There is, IMO, maybe too much upper-bass, but it's fun to listen to, just the same. If I don't dwell on it, I really enjoy the warmth and then I notice that the detail is still there - it's not being masked by the upper-bass / lower-mid bloom (reminds me of a Tung-Sol 5998 power tube in a Woo WA3, to be honest). I think this may account for the love/hate relationship Head-Fi'ers have with these cans.

The Woo OTL was a bad experience with these cans, as one would expect. However, unlike my Grados, which start clipping at volume, I noticed with the NightHawks that there wasn't the expected distortion from clipping - just relatively low volume and lack of punch. I was surprised by that.

I've been switching back-and-forth between two desktop solid-state amps to see what I like best with these (an NAD D 1050 and NuForce Icon HDP + LPS-1). I can't decide which one I like over the other, but now I want a better SS amp with very low output impedance... and so it goes.

Anyway, now I am hanging out in the living room with the NAD head amp, much to the appreciation of my family...

Really well done, AudioQuest.

Nov 4, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #740 of 10,194
  Everyone has their own set of preferences and no one is right or wrong for loving/hating Nighthawks. I'm just happy I'm able to enjoy these headphones so much; they're absolutely the most beautiful and perfect sounding headphone I've ever been exposed to and yes I've heard Stax and HE1000 and HD800 and tons of other cans. 

You just have to to add "IMHO" to this kind of statements 
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #741 of 10,194
Nov 4, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #743 of 10,194
  Probably not. And that's why everyone should take your statements with a (big) grain of salt. Just my HO.
blink.gif

And nothing humble about *that* statement either, next do "imo" instead of "imho"

So *all* my statements are without merit now?

I'm just enjoying my headphones; I felt "imo" wasn't necessary since I prefaced it with "everyone has their own set of preferences" but I suppose I left myself open to someone into semantics.

Nov 4, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #745 of 10,194
  Probably not. And that's why everyone should take your statements with a (big) grain of salt. Just my HO.
blink.gif

I went back and looked through you're previous posts in this thread. You auditioned the NightHawks well over a month ago and said they weren't for you, there was some discussion about you're thoughts after but from what I read the general consensus of the others participating in the thread was "that's cool, we all hear differently" or "you're entitled to your opinion". I've tried plenty of headphones that weren't for me and if I felt the need to post those thoughts I typically didn't bother to hang about the thread much after so I'm curious, why do you continue to read and post things like this in a thread of a headphone that you say isn't for you? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to stop you posting or tell you it's wrong, I'm just trying to understand your motivation.

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #748 of 10,194
I went back and looked through you're previous posts in this thread. You auditioned the NightHawks well over a month ago and said they weren't for you, there was some discussion about you're thoughts after but from what I read the general consensus of the others participating in the thread was "that's cool, we all hear differently" or "you're entitled to your opinion". I've tried plenty of headphones that weren't for me and if I felt the need to post those thoughts I typically didn't bother to hang about the thread much after so I'm curious, why do you continue to read and post things like this in a thread of a headphone that you say isn't for you? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to stop you posting or tell you it's wrong, I'm just trying to understand your motivation.

The NH is a great hp and I like to read people's comments here. I get uncomfortable and suspicious though, when someone writes "best headphone ever" statements on any thread I follow, not only this one.

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #750 of 10,194
The NH is a great hp and I like to read people's comments here. I get uncomfortable and suspicious though, when someone writes "best headphone ever" statements on any thread I follow, not only this one.

Fair enough. On the flip side, I get uncomfortable and suspicious when I see people who constantly feel the need to rain on people's parade. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back