AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 30, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #8,446 of 10,196
Last night it finally happened. I connected with nighthawks. I had given up on them allready. I did not just consider nh's disappointing... I have actually described them as disgusting headphones.

Yesterday I listed nh's for sale. I of course gave them a final listen before that. Later I was listening to Sony mdr-1a and I was quite unimpressed so I decided to listen something better before going to bed. I switched to iBasso sr1 a headphone I like a lot. And it sounded wrong, shrill, too bright. I've never considered sr1 bright before. Some people feel sr1 actually lacks treble.

At that moment I knew something had snapped in my head. I reached for nighthawks and it sounded really good. It had all the details I thought it lacked and more. Bass did not sound bloated anymore. Even the occasional sibilance I had perceived at times was gone. So I pulled nh's out off sale. In the nick off time too because it was an auction with no reserve starting at $0. Luckily no bids were placed.

So it took me about two months to get what nh's are about. Some off the time I used nh's exclusively but mostly with other headphones. It was not a gradual change it just happened all off a sudden.

Now things get tricky. I have to "unlearn" nighthawks to see If I enjoy sr1 and hd800 better. Because switching between these headphones apparently does not work. One will sound wrong.

Loved the read. I know they can sound really off sometimes. Had this yesterday and they sounded so congested. After 5 songs or so, they sound amazing and my brain is able to link with the Nighthawks character.

Jan 7, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #8,447 of 10,196
It's been more than a year now with the Nighthawk Carbon (but hybrid pads).
I can't insist more on how much they are so enjoyable everyday. Distortion is so low ! Bass goes down so low and is so clear. Sound is so addictive.
Dynamic without sounding bright. The combo with mojo is amazing. So underrated headphones imo.

However I testify that the burn-in takes a while and really exists with those. When I first used them they sounded really, really bright (sibilant and no bass). Now, smooth, and just realistic (imo).

Jan 7, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #8,448 of 10,196
Loved the read. I know they can sound really off sometimes. Had this yesterday and they sounded so congested. After 5 songs or so, they sound amazing and my brain is able to link with the Nighthawks character.
Great to hear. I'm one of those who understood the sound right away. The Nighthawk is emulating a pair of speakers in a well treated room.. without bass traps haha.

There's this delay, like you hear every note traveling the distance between your ear and the driver and it's so pleasurable and it invites you to let go and stop analyzing, because these sorta work against those who analyze. Once you do that, you will begin to understand and appreciate the perspective they give you.

When I DO try to analyze the sound in these, my mind tend to latch onto the way everything images and comes together rather than zooming in on the highs on one instrument. Not knocking that way of listening though.

Jan 7, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #8,449 of 10,196
LMAO "burn in". Your ears are adjusting to a new sound. That's it. Shure themselves have measured "broken in" vs brand new and the results are the same, but people still seem to latch onto a broken claim rather than simple science.

Jan 7, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #8,450 of 10,196
However I testify that the burn-in takes a while and really exists with those. When I first used them they sounded really, really bright (sibilant and no bass). Now, smooth, and just realistic (imo).
I’ve got similar experience with you, except that my initial impression on NH was that they’re way too dark; It’s probably because I came from Grado and Beyer, both of which are brighter than neutral. Wonder what headphones were you using, that would make you feel NH too bright?

Jan 8, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #8,451 of 10,196
LMAO "burn in". Your ears are adjusting to a new sound. That's it. Shure themselves have measured "broken in" vs brand new and the results are the same, but people still seem to latch onto a broken claim rather than simple science.

All headphone I had, I did'nt hear a significant change. However with those, it clearly changed for me. Not all heapdhone drivers are made from same materials...
Of course the fact that I am adjusting to the sound could be a factor too.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #8,452 of 10,196
I’ve got similar experience with you, except that my initial impression on NH was that they’re way too dark; It’s probably because I came from Grado and Beyer, both of which are brighter than neutral. Wonder what headphones were you using, that would make you feel NH too bright?

I was using Oppo PM-3 and while it is globally brighter, it has a cut-off on very high frequency. Could be the reason...

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #8,453 of 10,196
Last night it finally happened. I connected with nighthawks. I had given up on them allready. I did not just consider nh's disappointing... I have actually described them as disgusting headphones.

Yesterday I listed nh's for sale. I of course gave them a final listen before that. Later I was listening to Sony mdr-1a and I was quite unimpressed so I decided to listen something better before going to bed. I switched to iBasso sr1 a headphone I like a lot. And it sounded wrong, shrill, too bright. I've never considered sr1 bright before. Some people feel sr1 actually lacks treble.

At that moment I knew something had snapped in my head. I reached for nighthawks and it sounded really good. It had all the details I thought it lacked and more. Bass did not sound bloated anymore. Even the occasional sibilance I had perceived at times was gone. So I pulled nh's out off sale. In the nick off time too because it was an auction with no reserve starting at $0. Luckily no bids were placed.

So it took me about two months to get what nh's are about. Some of the time I used nh's exclusively but mostly with other headphones. It was not a gradual change it just happened all off a sudden.

Now things get tricky. I have to "unlearn" nighthawks to see If I enjoy sr1 and hd800 better. Because switching between these headphones apparently does not work. One will sound wrong.

The Nighthawks definitely take some time to adjust to. While I don’t have the Nighthawks anymore, they are special to me because they altered my perception of audio during my time of ownership. You may think something is wrong or something is missing, but in reality not really, rather you start noticing what distortion and incorrect tonality actually sounds like in headphones. It’s different, and our ears may be trained by other headphones which follow more mainstream tunings that can prevent us from analyzing headphones that break the mold properly as we may jump towards preconceived notions about sound without truly understanding what we are hearing. To me, it’s one of three headphones I’ve owned that fully satisfied me. The other two being the Amiron Home and the DT 480(after modding).

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #8,454 of 10,196
The Nighthawks definitely take some time to adjust to. While I don’t have the Nighthawks anymore, they are special to me because they altered my perception of audio during my time of ownership. You may think something is wrong or something is missing, but in reality not really, rather you start noticing what distortion and incorrect tonality actually sounds like in headphones. It’s different, and our ears may be trained by other headphones which follow more mainstream tunings that can prevent us from analyzing headphones that break the mold properly as we may jump towards preconceived notions about sound without truly understanding what we are hearing. To me, it’s one of three headphones I’ve owned that fully satisfied me. The other two being the Amiron Home and the DT 480(after modding).

It actually took me no time to adjust. Loved them immediately, but I had had very few headphones in my past. I was used to my old stereo system based on some very well regarded (but not terribly expensive) Advent Heritage floor standing speakers.

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #8,455 of 10,196
It actually took me no time to adjust. Loved them immediately, but I had had very few headphones in my past. I was used to my old stereo system based on some very well regarded (but not terribly expensive) Advent Heritage floor standing speakers.

They took a couple days for me, but I also went into them knowing they were going to be different and I didn't hold that against them as I always had this nagging feeling something was wrong with the headphones I've owned up till then. Honestly I found you can get into a trap being in headphones for a long time as they can train your ears in a certain way and it may not actually be a good thing.

Jan 8, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #8,456 of 10,196
Honestly I found you can get into a trap being in headphones for a long time as they can train your ears in a certain way and it may not actually be a good thing.

I think that was part of Skylar's philosophy.

I find it to be particularly true with iems.

Jan 8, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #8,457 of 10,196
I too never felt the Nighthawks were an albatross that some have have claimed them to be. I have always liked them. I however enjoy and appreciate different sounding headphones, same as with speakers. For me once a headphone reaches a certain price point, most of them have something to offer.
I have also found that switching back and forth quickly between headphones does not give me the time to judge a headphone. I like to spend a least a few weeks to see their strengths and weaknesses, but that's just me.

Jan 8, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #8,458 of 10,196
I have also found that switching back and forth quickly between headphones does not give me the time to judge a headphone. I like to spend a least a few weeks to see their strengths and weaknesses, but that's just me.

That is why I refuse to a/b headphones,especially if they have very different sound signatures. Both just end up sounding wrong.

Jan 9, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #8,459 of 10,196
They took a couple days for me, but I also went into them knowing they were going to be different and I didn't hold that against them as I always had this nagging feeling something was wrong with the headphones I've owned up till then. Honestly I found you can get into a trap being in headphones for a long time as they can train your ears in a certain way and it may not actually be a good thing.

Same. I really didn't like the way they sounded when I got them but I read you have to allow your ears to adjust to them. Now my ears hurt when listening to a lot of other headphones that push the highs too much.

Jan 9, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #8,460 of 10,196
Can't remember if I already posted this, but:
Since buying the InEar Prophile 8s, they've been in my ears almost exclusively. When I gave them a break and tried the HE400i (by any rationale, a more treble focused pair than the 'hawks) I took them off very quickly, because the difference in quality of sound reproduction was just too great - they didn't sound good any more (I hope this wears off!!)
However, when I put the Nighthawks on, which should (logically) sound even more 'veiled' or 'overly warm' as their detractors like to label them, I find that they stand up incredibly well. In fact, having the top-shelf IEMs has made me appreciate the Nighthawks even more because their high frequency detail retrieval is pretty much on a par with the IEMs - it's just not boosted at all. The sense of space also continues to impress.
They remain a really solid favourite, always a pleasure to put them on and listen to them. I was also one who demoed them and immediately fell in love with their signature. Still loving them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back