AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 10, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #8,266 of 10,196
Can anyone suggest a decent upgraded and longer unbalanced cable for the Nighthawk Carbons? I use these at work, and the stock cable is too constricting and stiff. To the extent relevant, my rig is Bluesound Node2 --> Schiit Bimby --> Schiit Lyr3.
Thanks, David
I'm using the Senn HD700 cable...but for work and mobility I wouldn't recommend it. Fine for home.

Bern

Nov 15, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #8,268 of 10,196
Journey in to this dark, twisted and polka-funk album if you dare!
mrbungle.jpg
Bring your Nighthawks and perhaps a flashlight! :flashlight:

Nov 16, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #8,269 of 10,196
Well.. It's official

I just picked up a pair of Nighthawk Carbons. Mint with accessories at a very thrifty 250cad

The very second I held them I had this strange excitement. These things are built extremely well! Hefty, yet wonderfully balanced. That paint job in real life.. a subtlety that tells you it means what it says and says what it means. Very nice! These things attached to my head like the kindest alien facehugger ever. I plugged the cable into my earstudio,pressed play and well now... love at first listen(sony legacy of disco to test). Gave the seller my money, shook hands and walked into falls sunny afternoon.

The walk home was about thirty minutes of rare for me sonic bliss. I didn't mind that I was in public wearing these dark beasts. I was in nerd heaven. Stereolab,The Fall, Factory Floor, Dinah, Doris, Cocteau Twins bootlegs, Chet Baker, Buddy Holly,Bill Evans, MA's Teardrop... Everything reached out and and enveloped me. Nothing could stop the spring in my step and the NH felt balanced and secure the whole walk home.

I've been researching this headphone for about a year now. After a long convoluted journey of sidesteps, stand stills,and fall downs.. this is the exact sound I dreamed of. How is that even!?!..

True love IS possible! Goodness like this is going to take some getting used to...

ps.Hope Sandoval, you are a dream with the Nighthawks

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #8,271 of 10,196
@Lunar Eclipse - Welcome to the fold fellow Nighthawker! :wave::grinning::v:

You got a stupendous deal for that kind of money and it sounds like you've found your Unicorn...congrats! :unicorn:

Nov 16, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #8,273 of 10,196
@mbwilson111 - What are you like around clowns and circus folk?!

My first husband had a clown painting that changed from happy to evil depending on how you looked at it. I banished it from the house... lol. It creeped me out.

Nov 16, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #8,274 of 10,196
My first husband had a clown painting that changed from happy to evil depending on how you looked at it. I banished it from the house... lol. It creeped me out.
LoL...proceed with caution! John Zorn helped put this album together many years back but from what I hear...John Zorn is crazy! :D

I'm listening to Alans Parson Project - Gaudi - at the moment, and it sounds excellent!
alanparsonproject_gaudi.jpg
- No clowns in this album!

P.s Still waiting on my %$#@& balanced cable, in fact I had to order another one from another seller.

Nov 16, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #8,275 of 10,196
Thank you kindly!

Not too proud to say, I just cried a bit listening. Guess I'm getting even more sentimental in my old age. This is just perfect. Cannot wait to hear Hope Sandoval's, Bavarian Fruit(currently DM's b-sides)That imaging is everything I hoped it was going to be. How does everything on my microsd sound so alive? I just don't understand. A lifetime waiting for this beauty...

I may be in the minority here, but that cable is just about the perfect length for my bedside amp. Perhaps in the future I'll pick up a budget balanced cable for the earstudio:black_heart:

I'm supposed to be going out dancing later at the ol' afterhrs. I don't know how I'm gonna pull myself away. Geez Louise!

@Lunar Eclipse - Welcome to the fold fellow Nighthawker! :wave::grinning::v:

You got a stupendous deal for that kind of money and it sounds like you've found your Unicorn...congrats! :unicorn:

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #8,276 of 10,196
P.s Still waiting on my %$#@& balanced cable, in fact I had to order another one from another seller.

I wonder if it is possible to find an inexpensive not too thick cable that teminates in 2.5mm balanced. The balanced output on my new iBasso Dx120 dap is quite powerful and I have tons of my music on the two cards that it holds.... a 200GB and a 256Gb card.

Nov 17, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #8,278 of 10,196
I wonder if it is possible to find an inexpensive not too thick cable that teminates in 2.5mm balanced. The balanced output on my new iBasso Dx120 dap is quite powerful and I have tons of my music on the two cards that it holds.... a 200GB and a 256Gb card.
What's your budget? If your iBasso supports balanced then I'd be taking up that option!

Nov 17, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #8,279 of 10,196
Thank you kindly!

Not too proud to say, I just cried a bit listening. Guess I'm getting even more sentimental in my old age. This is just perfect. Cannot wait to hear Hope Sandoval's, Bavarian Fruit(currently DM's b-sides)That imaging is everything I hoped it was going to be. How does everything on my microsd sound so alive? I just don't understand. A lifetime waiting for this beauty...

I may be in the minority here, but that cable is just about the perfect length for my bedside amp. Perhaps in the future I'll pick up a budget balanced cable for the earstudio:black_heart:

I'm supposed to be going out dancing later at the ol' afterhrs. I don't know how I'm gonna pull myself away. Geez Louise!
You're in for a treat mate, I think you'll find the NH's are some of the most romantic heaphones out there! I predict many good times to come!

P.s Hope Sandoval - Digging this track, gonna find this album! Thank you! :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back