AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 5, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #7,396 of 10,194
Well from my understanding, a "reference headphone" is one that could be favorably compared to other headphones that are considered the best on the market. For example, for many, the Senn HD800s is a reference headphone....can the NH be considered a reference headphone under that definition? Or is that definition totally off?
As a personal opinion I have to say no. With good recordings the HD800 is fantastic. Think about the albums Sign 'O' The Times (Prince) or Camomile Classics (Emi Fujita). The thing is, most albums in my collection don’t sound so good. The Nighthawks are forgiving, so even crappy recordings from the eighties are listenable. But don’t get me wrong, they are also awsome with good recordings. I can live without my HD800 but not without my hawks.

Then again, what do I know ? :grin:

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #7,397 of 10,194
Well from my understanding, a "reference headphone" is one that could be favorably compared to other headphones that are considered the best on the market. For example, for many, the Senn HD800s is a reference headphone....can the NH be considered a reference headphone under that definition? Or is that definition totally off?

I wouldn't concider the NH a endgame reference HP. I however would concider it a vital fun HP.

It really does have a knack of turning harsh badly recorded musc into totally listenable music.

I do have another HP that is winning awards everywhere and many consider it endgame reference (Ether Flow Open) and
I reach for the NH's 9 times out of 10. That is because 9 times out of 10 my mood is wanting a fun, musical sound rather than
Reference.

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #7,398 of 10,194
I wouldn't concider the NH a endgame reference HP. I however would concider it a vital fun HP.

It really does have a knack of turning harsh badly recorded musc into totally listenable music.

I do have another HP that is winning awards everywhere and many consider it endgame reference (Ether Flow Open) and
I reach for the NH's 9 times out of 10. That is because 9 times out of 10 my mood is wanting a fun, musical sound rather than
Reference.
You took the words right out of my mouth (without the kissing :laughing:) !!

Jan 5, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #7,399 of 10,194
You took the words right out of my mouth (without the kissing :laughing:) !!

I noticed we almost sung the same tune.
I felt a bit dick after posting mine and then read yours.

Jan 5, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #7,400 of 10,194
I noticed we almost sung the same tune.
I felt a bit dick after posting mine and then read yours.
Nah, you explained it way better than I did. I enjoyed your post.

Jan 6, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #7,401 of 10,194

The Nighthawk is favoured by me for it’s very low distortion and very flat impedance characteristics. Tuning wise the term reference is a moving target for each person. I have the Utopia as well which is much more dynamic and bright compared to the Nighthawks’ smooth and warm sound, but both are reference for me for what they offer.

Jan 6, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #7,402 of 10,194
The Nighthawk is favoured by me for it’s very low distortion and very flat impedance characteristics. Tuning wise the term reference is a moving target for each person. I have the Utopia as well which is much more dynamic and bright compared to the Nighthawks’ smooth and warm sound, but both are reference for me for what they offer.
Yes I agree with you...What you are talking about is the theory of a "personal reference" which is based on a headphone's performance compared to other headphones widely considered "best in class" and how that intersects with a person's personal preference in headphone.

Jan 6, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #7,403 of 10,194
Yes I agree with you...What you are talking about is the theory of a "personal reference" which is based on a headphone's performance compared to other headphones widely considered "best in class" and how that intersects with a person's personal preference in headphone.

Yeah, that’s it basically, sort of. The Nighthawk has fantastic measured distortion performance and a very linear impedance plot which would help it play nice with a wide selection of amps. That’s a HUGE strength to me and one of the best in class aspects of the Nighthawk. Unfortunately the tonal balance will turn many people off of this headphone, so in that sense it isn’t a best in class device, or ‘reference’ if looking for a forward presentation.

Personally, I seek out gear with very low distortion and I can appreciate the tuning of the Nighthawk which is why I purchased them at half price when there was a massive sale before the Nighthawk Carbon was released. I used the money I saved and purchased an after market cable to replace the shamefully terrible cable the Nighthawk came with (not best in class, lol).

Jan 6, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #7,405 of 10,194
I have an Oppo balanced cable that I can use with my Nighthawks, but besides it being really kinked in spots, the stock cable still works fine for me. Guess I am lucky. :)
And yes, I love my Hawks.

You are very lucky. The plug broke right off of mine about a week after I got the NH. The first time that I removed it from my desk amp to take off the adapter so I could try it with my portable amp. I think it had a problem from day 1 as I was geting sound dropouts the whole time that I was burning them in at my desk. I thought is was my PC but I now think it was the plug. Still have the cable...could have a balanced plug put on it but I do not have a balanced amp. If my husband wants to do it he could use it with something of his. I think the cable itself is fine. Maybe yours was soldered on better.

And yes, I love my Hawks too!

Jan 6, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #7,406 of 10,194
I consider the NightHawks reference in the sense that they are the only headphone I've found that really reproduces the sense of listening to a live performance. I can easily imagine sitting in a jazz club or a local bar hearing some great live music when I listen to the Hawks. Other headphones reproduce the recording beautifully, but nothing else I've tried captures the live sound in quite the same way. That is reference for me because I want a setup that makes it feel like I'm there with the musicians so live performances are my reference.

Jan 6, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #7,407 of 10,194
"End Game" is a moving target.

Jan 7, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #7,409 of 10,194
Hi guys,

I am back with a second pair of Carbons because I wanted to give another chance to the NH.

The chain is iPhone>Tidal>Mojo>NHC.

The A/B test with my standard headphone (HD650) in that chain is all for the NHC where overall everything is better.

The HD650 "sings" when is paired with a good amp but for a "easy chain" setup, the pair with the Mojo is not for me (too thin, although "correct").

So, the NHC are still in burn-in and the pads are the BOOST because I found the microsuede a little "without life".

Said so, I am happy (even if I still searching for a good comfort listening position while at bed, due to the larger pads of the NH in front to the smaller HD650 ones).

But an issue appears during some of the early listening sessions: the middle-highs, say the snare of the drum, are very fatiguing to me. They are "punchy" but in the worst way. For istance, So Far Away from Dire Straits is unlisteable but also many songs with a pronounced snare drum is very fatiguing to my ears.

My question is: does the burn-in will "smooth" the treble, in particular, the middle-highs?

If not, I don't understand how the Mojo-NH could be called a "warmest" pair.

PS: In the future I will by the original "wood earpads" that should be the most "neutral" but I think I want to use what I got in the beginning.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #7,410 of 10,194
Hi guys,

I am back with a second pair of Carbons because I wanted to give another chance to the NH.

The chain is iPhone>Tidal>Mojo>NHC.

The A/B test with my standard headphone (HD650) in that chain is all for the NHC where overall everything is better.

The HD650 "sings" when is paired with a good amp but for a "easy chain" setup, the pair with the Mojo is not for me (too thin, although "correct").

So, the NHC are still in burn-in and the pads are the BOOST because I found the microsuede a little "without life".

Said so, I am happy (even if I still searching for a good comfort listening position while at bed, due to the larger pads of the NH in front to the smaller HD650 ones).

But an issue appears during some of the early listening sessions: the middle-highs, say the snare of the drum, are very fatiguing to me. They are "punchy" but in the worst way. For istance, So Far Away from Dire Straits is unlisteable but also many songs with a pronounced snare drum is very fatiguing to my ears.

My question is: does the burn-in will "smooth" the treble, in particular, the middle-highs?

If not, I don't understand how the Mojo-NH could be called a "warmest" pair.

PS: In the future I will by the original "wood earpads" that should be the most "neutral" but I think I want to use what I got in the beginning.

Get a Lotoo Paw Gold Diana...with the Nighthawks, heaven occurs. The Nighthawk does great out of Sony players' balanced ports as well

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back