AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 7, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #7,411 of 10,194
But an issue appears during some of the early listening sessions: the middle-highs, say the snare of the drum, are very fatiguing to me. They are "punchy" but in the worst way. For istance, So Far Away from Dire Straits is unlisteable but also many songs with a pronounced snare drum is very fatiguing to my ears.

My question is: does the burn-in will "smooth" the treble, in particular, the middle-highs?
Hi,

That really doesn’t sound ok to me. Did you do the 150 hours burn-in? I’m really sensitive to treble and both my Hawks have smooth treble. Dire Straits should sound amazing with the Nighthawk. I say, stop listening and try the burn in. Hopefully you will not be disappointed.

Jan 7, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #7,412 of 10,194
I have 5 hours with my Carbons that’s why I ask.

I wonder if the middle high treble will be smoother after the 150 hours period.

Straits sound good even now but some bright album as Brothers in arms and in particular the first track is too fatiguing together with many of my music where we have a piercing like drum snare.

Jan 7, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #7,413 of 10,194
Hi,

That really doesn’t sound ok to me. Did you do the 150 hours burn-in? I’m really sensitive to treble and both my Hawks have smooth treble. Dire Straits should sound amazing with the Nighthawk. I say, stop listening and try the burn in. Hopefully you will not be disappointed.

Listen So Far Away and tell me about the drums...

Jan 7, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #7,414 of 10,194
Hi,

All the songs on that Dire Straits album sound phenomenal to me on the Nighthawks. Having said that, I am listening to them out of a Lotoo Paw Gold Diana and it sounds heavenly. I am sure you will find a few other posts on headfi talking about how wonderful the Nighthawks are with that particular player. They play very nice together. Oh geez, I just realized you're talking about the carbons... I have the originals.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #7,415 of 10,194
All the songs on that Dire Straits album sound phenomenal to me on the Nighthawks. Having said that, I am listening to them out of a Lotoo Paw Gold Diana and it sounds heavenly. I am sure you will find a few other posts on headfi talking about how wonderful the Nighthawks are with that particular player. They play very nice together. Oh geez, I just realized you're talking about the carbons... I have the originals.

I wondered about this being a factor. I have the originals and can't relate to the OP's experience, but the Carbons are slightly different by some accounts. That said, I also believe that burn-in greatly improves the Hawks

Jan 7, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #7,416 of 10,194
I wondered about this being a factor. I have the originals and can't relate to the OP's experience, but the Carbons are slightly different by some accounts. That said, I also believe that burn-in greatly improves the Hawks

I can definitely tell you that burn in is a huge factor with the Nighthawks. They have changed drastically since I have drastically since I have owned them.

Jan 8, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #7,417 of 10,194
Oh geez, I just realized you're talking about the carbons... I have the originals.
Mmm, I wonder if that reply was ment for me but if it was, I got both Hawks but mainly using the Classic :.)

Jan 8, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #7,418 of 10,194
Listen So Far Away and tell me about the drums...
I just listened to three versions (24/96, DSD64 & DSD64 20th Anniversary Edition) and they all sound great on my Classic and my Carbons. However! I am using the original hybrid pads. So I am not “boosting” lows or highs.

Edit: deleted image

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #7,419 of 10,194
I have 5 hours with my Carbons that’s why I ask.

I wonder if the middle high treble will be smoother after the 150 hours period.

Straits sound good even now but some bright album as Brothers in arms and in particular the first track is too fatiguing together with many of my music where we have a piercing like drum snare.
So sorry for this extra unnecessary post but yes, don’t judge the Hawks before at least 100 hours of burn-in. In my case the burn-in was not lineair, each quick listen sounded different to me (as in not right). Just let them burn and enjoy afterwards :ksc75smile:.

To be honest, I do need 1 full album after listening to my HD800 to feel the magic again. So my ears at least, needs a little time to adjust.

Jan 8, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #7,421 of 10,194
+1... made the same experiance

Jan 9, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #7,423 of 10,194
Listening right now and it sound very fine (using my NH "wood" with hybrid pads and a Dragonfly DAC version 1.0) - no problems at all with the drum snares. I have about 200 hours on them.

Thanks all.

They are in burn in costantly attacked to a laptop that is playing since yesterday.

They have 24/30 hours now and I didn’t hear them yet.

I had totally fatigue listening to that song snares but all the other departments of the song were great even after that 5 hours of burn in.

I used the Mojo as source and both the earpads of the Carbons mostly the boost.

I cross my fingers hoping to solve.

Jan 9, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #7,424 of 10,194
Thanks all.

They are in burn in costantly attacked to a laptop that is playing since yesterday.

They have 24/30 hours now and I didn’t hear them yet.

I had totally fatigue listening to that song snares but all the other departments of the song were great even after that 5 hours of burn in.

I used the Mojo as source and both the earpads of the Carbons mostly the boost.

I cross my fingers hoping to solve.

I have noticed The Nighthawks to be pretty source dependent. They sound horrible on some of my players, but they sound phenomenal out of the Sony in balanced and they sound great out of the Paw Gold in single-ended.

Jan 9, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #7,425 of 10,194
Someone compared the Nighthawks with E-MU Teaks ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back