AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 25, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #5,162 of 10,196
Oh wow. Didn't realize QA QC with the X2 is still just as bad or even worse. Abandoning the X2 altogether is probably your best bet for stress relief and peace of mind. I don't think you would have any such problems with the NightHawk aside from the cable issues some have experienced. Those cable issues being the breaking/loose connection at the termination and needing to be repaired or replaced.

The X2 and NH sound signatures are quite different ime/imo.

Yeah, it's bad. I'm certain I'm just in an extremely unlucky position, but I'd rather get this whole ordeal over with than having to buy four pairs of X2's before I finally get a working one.

Nighthawk cable issues I've read about before, but I would probably not use it anyway, cause it's way too long. 1.5m is all I need to comfortably lean back on my desktop chair and watch a movie.

How are the sound signatures different? I've watched Z Reviews; he basically couldn't say anything beyond "These headphones are different".

(And for your phone issues, I'm in the same boat. Which is why I've switched to a completely different philosophy: China phones. You'd think they produce crap, but you can get insanely good and robust devices with a fraction of the price you gotta pay for the same specs you get with one of the "normal" brands. Personally, I own the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro, which competes with a Samsung S6 and cost me no more than 150€.)

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #5,163 of 10,196

Ah, cool to hear! Especially the thing about metal, which is my primary music preference as well. :D

How are these with games? FPS games mostly. Can you do positioning well?

Also, are your drivers perfectly balanced or can you sense even the slightest imbalance? My X2's have some nasty imbalance on the left side and I don't want a 350€ headphone to have that sort of problem...

Nighthawk is an obvious step up from X2 in every possible way. I owned X2 for one and half year. (Never had any of the QC issues mentioned in X2 thread. Philips obviously has QC issues with X2, but IMO it is a bit over-exaggerated. People tend to write about their negative experiences rather than the positive ones.)
I liked my X2 a lot that time, but NH belongs to the next level. Much better build quality, more controlled bass, which extends lower. NH is less U shaped with better and more natural mids. Natural and gentle treble on NH. Better resolution, more details. At 350€ it is a no-brainer. As the old stock sells out, you won't be able to buy a new pair of NH for less than 6-700€.

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #5,164 of 10,196
I tried two versions of the X2 and had to return them due too sharp treble, really really painful. However the Soundstage and Sub Base was amazing on them. The Nighthawks to me are so much more refined and with no Sharp treble issues.

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #5,165 of 10,196
how does the nighthawk pair with the mojo? any details here would be great as its difficult for me to audition.

Dec 26, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #5,166 of 10,196
how does the nighthawk pair with the mojo? any details here would be great as its difficult for me to audition.

NightHawk pairs very well with Mojo. Mojo is clean, I colored sound with plenty of power to drive the NightHawk.

Also, got the BrainWavz HM5 angled sheepskin pads for Christmas. While it's difficult to a/b all the pads because of having only one set of snap rings, I would say the sheepskin are in between the stock pleather and the angled HM5 pleather. Bass quantity: stock > angled pleather > sheepskin. Treble presence/clarity: angled pleather > sheepskin > stock.

Dec 26, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #5,167 of 10,196
Bass seems to have opened up nicely on my 'hawks. Tighter than the Sony MDR Z7 bass and they have the edge in comfort and resolution too.

Dec 26, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #5,168 of 10,196

​ive read distortion is low on NH. I listen to bass heavy genres pop, reggae, r n b, electronic etc. if I paired the NH with a mojo could I expect zero distortion and a smooth effortless sound at higher volumes with the above mentioned genres? auditioning is tricky for me. my current tube set is great for other genres.

Dec 26, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #5,169 of 10,196

​ive read distortion is low on NH. I listen to bass heavy genres pop, reggae, r n b, electronic etc. if I paired the NH with a mojo could I expect zero distortion and a smooth effortless sound at higher volumes with the above mentioned genres? auditioning is tricky for me. my current tube set is great for other genres.

Short answer is yes. You will be surprised, how well Mojo works with Nighthawk. No distortion at all.

Dec 26, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #5,170 of 10,196

This whole thing can be mental and confusing, and send you into a whirlwind, so keep that in mind. I was shocked, and i thought i was going mental when I enjoyed a song "Ice Cream" by Sarah McLachlan on my ur40 (which were 20$ US) over some mid level cans

Dec 26, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #5,171 of 10,196

The hardware distortion will be low and very transparent. The Nighthawk is a warmer / smooth headphone, but it's technical ability to play cleanly is very good. The Mojo is also smooth but exceedingly transparent and detailed. Also, there is no other device in its class that measures as well as the Mojo. One thing to keep in mind is that no hardware on the planet will fix a poorly mastered track/album. If there is clipping, distortion, or other artifacts in the recording then you'll hear it no matter what.

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #5,172 of 10,196

​many thanks im trying to swing an audition at richer sounds.

does the NH destroy b and o h6??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back