AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 24, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #5,147 of 10,196
  HE500 is not bright. I find it pretty natural actually.

Disagree, but you were an Ether C owner, do you consider that bright? or natural?

Dec 24, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #5,148 of 10,196
It's Christmas eve, and Audioquest is still hoarding, scrooge style, all the boost pads.
wink_face.gif
  But I'm still holding out for a holiday announcement, maybe a new year's eve reveal! My friends, btw, often call me a "hopeless dreamer," and sometimes just "hopeless." 

Dec 24, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #5,149 of 10,196
 Disagree, but you were an Ether C owner, do you consider that bright? or natural?

With no pads the ether c is bright. With the white pad I don't think it is. Never heard the he500 described as "very bright" anywhere else. Never even heard it described as bright. Now, the he560 is on the bright side for sure.

Dec 25, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #5,151 of 10,196
  I just ordered the NightOwl Carbon (online @ Amazon) and am really looking forward to using them.

I plan on using them with the Mytek Brooklyn DAC + Mytek 4pin XLR to 2-1/4 inch jacks balanced headphone adapter. Does anyone have any recommendations for balanced cables with a 4pin XLR connector for the NightHawk or NightOwl? Preferably, it should be available in various lengths.

Thanks!

I may be replying to myself, but I would still love to get more feedback -- once your holiday celebrations are over of course. :)

I have stumbled upon the Moon Audio cables as an option. While I found a couple of mentions in this thread, I was wondering if there is a consensus as to the effect of the Blue Dragon or Silver Dragon have on the NH, NH/NO Carbon sound -- especially when run in balanced mode.

Are there other balanced options you would recommend for 4pin XLR OR 2 1/4" balanced jacks? If so, it would be great if you could mention your impressions of the impact on sound and also the amp you use them with.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #5,152 of 10,196
I may be replying to myself, but I would still love to get more feedback -- once your holiday celebrations are over of course. :)

I have stumbled upon the Moon Audio cables as an option. While I found a couple of mentions in this thread, I was wondering if there is a consensus as to the effect of the Blue Dragon or Silver Dragon have on the NH, NH/NO Carbon sound -- especially when run in balanced mode.

Are there other balanced options you would recommend for 4pin XLR OR 2 1/4" balanced jacks? If so, it would be great if you could mention your impressions of the impact on sound and also the amp you use them with.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

I have a cooper litz from Lindsay over at Impact Audio Cables. Excellent cable, cheaper than moon, highly recommended. I use it with my Jot and the bass is really punchy and tight.

Dec 25, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #5,153 of 10,196
I'm having a local retailer sell them for 349€ and surely got interested in them. Currently own the Fidelio X2 and like the U-shaped signature a lot, but the highs are a little painful. Is the Nighthawk worth the upgrade?

Dec 25, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #5,154 of 10,196
I'm having a local retailer sell them for 349€ and surely got interested in them. Currently own the Fidelio X2 and like the U-shaped signature a lot, but the highs are a little painful. Is the Nighthawk worth the upgrade?

Absolutely YES. :)

Dec 25, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #5,155 of 10,196

FWIW, I love my nighthawks for everything but especially metal. Within metal, especially the complex and moody black metal that is poorly recorded (by design?) . Just makes it sound right, great headphone. Doesn't need power, but if you give it power the mid and subbass cleans up a bit.

Dec 25, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #5,156 of 10,196
  Absolutely YES. :)

FWIW, I love my nighthawks for everything but especially metal. Within metal, especially the complex and moody black metal that is poorly recorded (by design?) . Just makes it sound right, great headphone. Doesn't need power, but if you give it power the mid and subbass cleans up a bit.

Ah, cool to hear! Especially the thing about metal, which is my primary music preference as well. :D

How are these with games? FPS games mostly. Can you do positioning well?

Also, are your drivers perfectly balanced or can you sense even the slightest imbalance? My X2's have some nasty imbalance on the left side and I don't want a 350€ headphone to have that sort of problem...

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #5,158 of 10,196
Quote:
Ever try changing the stock X2 cable with any other sub $15 cable? Could be the cable is bad. Had that happen myself when I owned one. Others in the X2 thread experienced the same issue. Worth a try if you haven't swapped it out already.

It actually goes waaay beyond that already. You can read the full story over on the X2 thread (starting here, following for the next three pages). Maybe you got some further ideas what to do.

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #5,159 of 10,196

Ah, cool to hear! Especially the thing about metal, which is my primary music preference as well. :D

How are these with games? FPS games mostly. Can you do positioning well?

Also, are your drivers perfectly balanced or can you sense even the slightest imbalance? My X2's have some nasty imbalance on the left side and I don't want a 350€ headphone to have that sort of problem...

Gaming - works very well

No channel imbalance - and I am OCD about that. 

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #5,160 of 10,196

Yes, yes, yes!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back