AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 24, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #4,561 of 10,196
So, I received the Silver Dragon cable for the Nighthawk but I'm fighting a nasty virus that's got my head completely stuffed up. Damn, first time I've been sick in literally years, and this ones a doozy!

The cable shipped across the continent to Canada's West Coast in 24hrs. Wow. It's build is ok and there is some slight microphonics. I really can't say much about the sound as my head is so filled with evil virus fighting juice right now.

I love my Blue Dragon on my NightHawk's, that completed the picture for me. 

Oh, and I've got the same nasty virus, it's running rampant through work and home.

Nov 24, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #4,562 of 10,196
I'm curious too, lol!
biggrin.gif

Seriously, I wouldn't trust my hearing right now at all. I'll be sure to report back after some quality time. I wouldn't say I'm a believer or dis-believer. I simply put my money where my curiosity told me to.
wink.gif

I used to be extremely skeptical of cables and sound. I do find, though, that a copper litz will ever-so-slightly bring out the warmth in a sound for me - which I like. Very slight though, not immediately noticable imo.

Nov 24, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #4,563 of 10,196
Lol, this is how I felt last night....

Nov 25, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #4,568 of 10,196
  The thick cable, my second thick cable is starting to have issues for when the plug is moved the sound gets quiet. The first one failed on the plug to the left earcup. Never had any issues with the thin one before.

I just tried out the thin one for the first time today. I really like how it feels, and I honestly think it has a fuller sound to it as well. I really like it, though it is a bit long.

Nov 25, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #4,570 of 10,196
  I just tried out the thin one for the first time today. I really like how it feels, and I honestly think it has a fuller sound to it as well. I really like it, though it is a bit long.

My thick cable snapped almost immediately. The thing cable was perfect, I agree.

Nov 25, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #4,572 of 10,196
  I can see that. Not sure about the lack of bass yet, but the mids seem fuller.

Hahaha this stuff is why cable talk cracks me up.

Go a ways back in the thread and everyone is saying the thick cable was more neutral and clear, the thin cable is warmer and bassier. Now we've got someone saying the thin cable lacks bass. 

Maybe the actual answer is the cables sound nearly the same and people need to just worry about whether or not it's broken.

Nov 25, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #4,574 of 10,196
  Hahaha this stuff is why cable talk cracks me up.

Go a ways back in the thread and everyone is saying the thick cable was more neutral and clear, the thin cable is warmer and bassier. Now we've got someone saying the thin cable lacks bass. 

Maybe the actual answer is the cables sound nearly the same and people need to just worry about whether or not it's broken.

Ya, fair enough lol. My initial impression was the thin cable was warmer, did  not know someone said so earlier as well. I am not a big believer in cable sound shaping so I was surprised when I immediately noticed warmer mids for sure. It is not broken though, that much I know for sure...

Nov 25, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #4,575 of 10,196
  Are you guys finding quality issues with the thick or thin cable?

The problem is with the 3.5mm plug of the thick cable. The 45° angle and rubber design of the plug implies, that you can expect a small level of flexibility. It does indeed have some flexibility, but something inside the plug cracks for even slight movements. As a result, one or both of the earcups stop receiving signal. The thin cable is better built. The thick cable does sound nicer though, and since I treat my replacement cable with extreme care, it keeps on working. I am planning to buy an aftermarket cable, or the new Carbon cable, as it is just annoying to always look after the headphone cable with such care. 
Obviously this many audiophile won't mistreat a headphone cable. The mistake was unfortunately made on AQ's side.
Anyway, apart of this minor defect Nighthawk is absolutely fabulous. I enjoy every moment with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back